Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

if i'm paid by paypal can the payment be cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2007, 08:16 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if i'm paid by paypal can the payment be cancelled?

i know there's some scam with eCheques, but if i'm paid can it be snatched back at all?

i have heard paypal claiming money back when a user has been under investigation thru paypal, does this really go on?

ta
Old 17 July 2007, 11:00 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Some time ago I sold a mobile on Ebay, they paid via paypal and then about a day or so after the buyer started to get rather pushy saying how he needed it urgently for his sisters bday or something.

This made me a little suspicious so I decided not to send the phone until the money had actually transferred into my normal bank account.

About another day or two after I had an e-mail from Paypal saying they have retracted the money as they believe the other person used fraudulent means to pay!

So answer to your question is yes they can take money back, thankfully I didn't send the phone so wasn't out of pocket but I thought this was the whole idea of using paypal so you are protected, but obviously not!
Old 17 July 2007, 11:33 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I have some experience of this as we have about 2000 ebay / paypal sales each year.

Our product is not one that would usually attract fraudsters, and, touch wood, we've never had a payment problem.

However, a couple of weeks ago I sold a car park pass for the Grand Prix- received payment by PayPal, and posted it out special delivery same day- it was signed for the next day.

On Friday- which was well over a week after they received it- I received notification from PayPal that the payment had been suspended. The reason they gave was that the buyer had told their bank to reverse / refuse the payment- guess they had no money in the PayPal account but had signed up for DD with PayPal.

I've proved that they received the pass so I'm confident PayPal will find in my favour, but you just never know with them Ebay companies- they change the rules daily to suit themselves.
Old 17 July 2007, 11:39 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It's a very common scam.

Even if you transfer the money to your bank account, the payment can still be reversed. This then leaves your account in the red and they can then claim this from you.

You then have to wait ages for paypal's so called protection to kick in, and hope they find in your favour.

Plus, they charge a high commission....
Old 18 July 2007, 04:09 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I NEVER, EVER, EVER, use Paypal when selling The risks are just too great, they will invariably find in favour of the buyer, whatever evidence the seller may present

And their charges make that company Carol Vorderman represents look like a sensible bet
Old 18 July 2007, 04:22 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

I dont like using Paypal whether I am buying or selling!!!

I once bought an RC car and used the Buy it now function (ebay) thinking I was getting bargain but it didnt turn up and he/she wouldnt answer emails etc!!

When I got hold of Paypal they said they would only cover X amount as my account was using Visa but my Visa said because I was using Paypal they wouldnt cover it!!

However did a bit of investigation into the guys username and it had been registered for 4 years so thinking he wouldnt have been dodgy all that time I found out his name from ebay......he had registered in two names and two addresses!!

A good friend of mine in his area (debt collector) found him and collected all my money whilst making the lad sh*t his pants!!
Old 18 July 2007, 06:28 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, thought this was the case. thanks for confirming