Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Track Day Car... what and where from?

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2002, 10:39 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I am toying with the Idea of getting a cheap track-day car, would love to use the Impreza but I don't really wanna break it

So... my thoughts are to get a trailer and a cheap track car that's good fun and nippy, what do you think of these?

1.9 205 GTi
Vauxhall Nova GTE (eek I said it!)
Ford Fiesta XR2
Mini
BMW 325i

I've seen a couple of race-spec cars in CCC etc that look pretty interesting, has anyone bought something like this and had any experience etc?

So... where would I get one from (any URL's that might be handy?)

ta,
Matt
Old 02 January 2002, 12:04 AM
Spec
Scooby Regular

Wink

Some good choices there!
205 fairly cheap and easy to strip, and setup for the track, could easily put the 16V motor from the 405 in (160bhp on carbs).
Nova, pretty much the same, cheap to buy an ex racer, once again you could put the 16V 2L Astra engine in (or even buy one already done)
XR2, its a Ford.
Mini, V.easy to tune for the track, great cheap fun, and can embarrass bigger stuff easily Could fit the 16V Astra motor again or even the Honda VTEC, but neithers a cheap option. (shop carefully to avoid a rust bucket)
BMW- know nothing about Bm's but did see a quick 32? @ a Bookatrack event last year.

Rich
Old 02 January 2002, 08:59 AM
phd
Scooby Regular

Matt,

This may be worth a look..

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=59830

I think jamesa is out of the country at the moment, but probably keeping an eye on the bbs.

Pete

Old 02 January 2002, 09:20 AM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys... I am tempted to go for a hot-hatch type thing but part of me is really thinking about the BM... rear-wheel drive, good motor, good handling etc... could be fun

does anyone know of any URL's that sell track-cars, maybe a CCC website (if they have one?).

ta,
Matt
Old 02 January 2002, 02:55 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Pete - yep, no hiding place !

Matt - as Pete`s link says; my friend`s Golf is a bargain and great fun especially on the right tyres. Oulton last month was a hoot - ask the Beemer `behind` us !

Like you I will not take the Subaru on the track; fortunately I have a similar Golf (friend lives in Nottingham by the way)and it`s relatively cheap compared to most but when temptation sets in they are all expensive ! Have toyed with the idea of a BM - E30 M3 myself but the Golf is so good and unassuming that I`ll stick with it and hope to surprise a few `turbos` etc....

Friend`s Golf is up for FOUR GRAND.

For BM`s www.moseleymotorsport.com
For race cars www.findit.co.uk or www.thinkmotoring.com

Cheers

Old 02 January 2002, 06:31 PM
Ed Hodgson
Scooby Regular

Apart from your budget, I reckon your choices depend on 2 things

1. RWD or FWD (or AWD)
There's not many cheap RWD cars around - the E30 323/325 BMW would probably go well with little modification. Some older jap cars - mitsubishi starion/lancer are RWD, turbo'ed & can go pretty fast. Don't dismiss the V6 fords either.

I've always thought FWD means understeer - so don't fancy it on the track. But I drove an mk 2 Golf recently & really enjoyed it -very safe & predictable on a circuit.

2. How fast you want to go - do you want something as fast in a straight line as the scoob (or faster) - or would you be happy with a car that's quick through the corners. Most of the race spec hatches will probably corner better than the impreza, & a roll cage (and cheap car)does give you a bit more confidence. My track car isn't anywhere near as fast 0-60, or 0-100 as my road car, but I'm far happier chucking it around on a race track.

I think the ads in CCC look pretty good for race cars - fully prepared small hatches for 2-4K. Most of those won't be road legal though I guess. The Pistonheads website sometimes has track cars for sale.

If you've got a bit more time you could build one yourself, but be prepared for some expense. It's probably cheaper to buy one.

I went the cheap RWD route, with a V6 Sierra. It had been raced in a Toyo series many years ago. I found it on findit.co.uk for £500, it is road legal, & I have spent another £500 getting it up & running again. There are plenty of cheap 4x4 sierras around - have a look at Rob King's website at his XR track car . It's a good site to show you what he's done to the car. and what it's cost him.
http://www.xr4x4.co.uk

It probably doesn't matter too much what you buy, as long as it works, keeps working & you can get it on the track as much as possible.

Ed
Old 02 January 2002, 09:46 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Talking Japanesee how about an old Toyota Corolla/Trueno thing? RWD and very tuneable. Think about one of these things with an MR2 Turbo engine in or something.

And they can embarass faster cars on the track. Take a look here for living proof:

AE86 Vs Altezza

Superb

DW

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2002, 10:37 AM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

I've always thought FWD means understeer - so don't fancy it on the track. But I drove an mk 2 Golf recently & really enjoyed it -very safe & predictable on a circuit.

Ed - glad you enjoyed the Golf - a Quaife ATB slip diff. really helps combat understeer and when `lifting` a wheel.

Cheers
Old 03 January 2002, 01:33 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

See if any of these tickle your fancy...

http://www.thinkmotoring.com/racecarsforsale.htm
http://www.thinkmotoring.com/ukrcfsgt.htm
http://www.findit.co.uk/uk/cars/race.htm
http://www.race-cars.com/
Old 03 January 2002, 03:13 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

cool...thanks chaps...
Old 03 January 2002, 03:19 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

wow !!!

what's the story with using a single-seater on a track-day? can they go out at the same time as saloons etc?

M
Old 03 January 2002, 03:36 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Bookatrack allow single seaters out at the same time as saloons. Wouldn't really fancy going out in a kart though.....

Someone on one of the bookatrack forums was asking whether it would be possible to take an F3 car out at the same time as the ordinary cars!

www.bookatrack.com

HTH
Old 03 January 2002, 04:22 PM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cant go wrong with a E30 M3.....i would love to take mine on the track, but lack of wonga and the fear of some tw@t crashing into me puts me off slightly.
Old 04 January 2002, 01:00 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt,

I recently purchased an XR2 that had competed in last years XR challenge and finished second. I paid £2500 with loads of spares.

The car is absolutely fantastic. In the right conditions (dry) it can compete with the best. These cars are set-up to carry as much corner speed as possible (due to their lack of grunt) have a look at the following link where I have given an overview of a day at oulton.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=53916
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=60594

I looked at buying a road car and getting it track ready myself but decided it would not be cost effective. If you are looking at the ones available in CCC then I would offer the following advice:

What you pay is what you get, set you starting price at around £2000
If someone says their car was competetive then ask them for proof
Take someone who knows the mechanicals of the car.
Ask for spares (you'll need them) - Our last visit to oulton resulted in having to change a rocker cover gasket half way through the day.
Dont be to concerned about slight damage to the bodywork

You'll need a trailer of some description (£500 upwards)
Spare wheels with wet weather tyres (We paid £20 for a mint set of XR2 pepperpot wheels from the local scrapyard and £250 for the tyres)

Two sets of tyres will last at least one year of tracking.

Good luck and enjoy.
Paul
Old 04 January 2002, 01:38 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

I thought everyone who wanted a track day car bought Caterhams?
Old 04 January 2002, 01:44 PM
Ed Hodgson
Scooby Regular

ever tried to buy a Caterham for 2 grand?
Old 05 January 2002, 02:16 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Caterhams are crap compaired to a decent ex race car. Unless you can afford to buy one with tons & tons of power.

Old 06 January 2002, 06:20 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Buy an ex Rover GTI championship car ultra reliable it will embarrass much more powerfull cars easy for a novice to drive cheap parts but you must run it on slicks
Old 06 January 2002, 09:42 PM
silverscoobports
Scooby Regular

bo**ox to u all buy a dirt cheap front engine porsche 924 cheap as chips u might even find a 928 for 2 grand
Old 06 January 2002, 09:48 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

Dirt cheap because the're crap
Old 06 January 2002, 10:28 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Matt
You are spot on here mate, It would persoanly scare the sh*t out of me taking my Impreza on track. Check out the following link there are various suitable cars including some from the Stock hatch champiuonship that I have had the pleasure of racing against over the last couple of years
http://www.motorsnippets.com/classifieds.asp
and search under modern racers

The bottom line is this, spend £3000 on a racing hot hatch and bolt on a set of slicks and you will have just as much fun as in an Impreza, without the risks and worry.

Or for the ultimate track day car, what about this
http://www.motorsnippets.com/cars/Snetterton/Renault-Spider-Martin-Hope.htm

Les
Old 07 January 2002, 11:17 AM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

cool, thanks Les...

thing is I really do want to take the Impreza on the track... maybe on my own ;-)

Could get an expensive hobby this...

M
Old 07 January 2002, 04:02 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Matt

This may be a bit out of left field, but what about a Rover 620ti?

I used to have one of these back in 1995. Cost me £22K. You can now pick them up for £2K in Auto Trader. 200bhp and lots of fun

TONY
Old 07 January 2002, 05:56 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Spend £500 on an old mini and £2500 on engine/brake/suspension/roll cage/tyres for it. Won't be massively quick, but you will have more fun than guys with cars costing 10/20/30/40 times as much and minimal worry.

I know of someone who had a Mini with a 170bhp motorbike engine under the bonnet. Could eat Imprezas/Evos on track.

The alternative is get a cheap '7'esque car (ie cheap version of a Caterham/Westfield) some of these come in around £3/4k second hand. Look for Locosts, Robin Hood, Sylvas, Furys etc. or for pure track use, and old Formula Renault/Ford/Vauxhall etc can be great buys is you are reasonably mechanically minded.
Old 08 January 2002, 09:16 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

Les H

Do (or have) you race in the 750mc stock hatch championship then ?

I was planning on doing the brscc roadsaloons this year, but they've changed the trailering rule (must drive the car to the circuit) which i'm not up for. The car is basically legal for stock hatch too, so i was thinking of taking part in that.

However, i've always thought of stock hatches as being for 17 year olds who dont mind totalling their cars on a weekly basis (bit like the motorbike 350LC racing...). Roadsaloons are relatively polite.

Some inside info on whats its really like would be great, otherwise i'll miss the first couple of rounds and just turn up as a spectator.

jon
Old 08 January 2002, 10:48 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

I've been amazed by some Integra type R. They come into there own on track days.
Old 01 February 2002, 08:03 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Matt

A 205 GTI 1.9 would be an excellent choice.

I believe there is one up for sale in the For Sale section....oh! - it's mine

[Edited by Dave T-S - 1/2/2002 8:15:20 AM]
Old 11 July 2002, 04:13 PM
abradley
Scooby Regular

Here's a silly question, do any of these Insurers cover outside of the UK.. like.. Australia?

Would really appreciate a reply
Old 11 July 2002, 04:26 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most of my mates poo pooed my idea of a 205 gti

I was met with a barrage of "you want rear wheel drive" type comments

Toyotta did an RWD corrolla while back, rare as rocking horse dung though.

look in ccc mag lots in it

andy
Old 11 July 2002, 05:08 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you want a Corolla/Trueno GT you need to go to Ireland and pay a lot of money, they are THE weapon of choice for 1600 class Tarmac Rallying over there.

ADP, I've sat in a 1.9 205 GTi with Olly driving it, trust me, any further sideways and you'd be driving using the mirrors, let alone the side windows

Quick Reply: Track Day Car... what and where from?