Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How long are dealers liable?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2007, 09:14 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long are dealers liable?

I bought a used car from a dealer 18 months ago (roughly). I've never been 100% happy with the car, but for little niggling reasons but the longer I own it, the more I beleive it's been in a smash at some point in it's life.

For starters, the drivers seatback is twisted, it appears to have had some paint on at least one of the rear doors, neither of the rear doors fits quite right (one is wearing the paint away on the leading edge) and it eats tyres at a staggering rate. These are things that I've picked up on since I've owned it.

The car itself is going in for some minor bodywork on Monday and I was going to ask the bodyshop their opinion on any previous work.

The car isn't registered as having been in a smash.

The kicker for me is that the dealer I bought it from makes a huge song and dance of being Trading Standards approved and they really laid it on thick when selling the car that they knew it's history etc. as it belonged to their book keeper and they'd sourced it for her originally and it was well looked after and perfectly maintained etc.

If it turns out it has had a major shunt, have I got any come back at all, being so long after the sale?

Anyone want to buy a mint condition VW Bora?