Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lighting Strike

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2007, 07:43 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting Strike

Hello about one oclock this afternoon, it was pissing it down with rain, thunder and lighting, i had my pc on when i heard a loud lighting strike, i heard my modem frazzle and my internet died, i noticed my modem had no power, so i changed the power pack thinking it might be that, nope it was totally screwed, so i went to computer orbit and got a new modem, when i got home i switched on the pc, and it would switch on and the fans power up but the monitor would not come. I changed the grpahics card thinking this could be the problem, nope not that either.

This is a brand new pc, ive had it 3 weeks, it will power up, no signal been sent to the monitor, then within 5 seconds it shuts down, has anyone delt with this kind of thing before, the machine is under a warranty but im not sure it is covered by lighting, i have to wait till Monday to call them and see what they say, paid £800 for it about 3 weeks ago, so i hope they repair it. Ive got a funny feeling its blow the cpu or the motherboard maybe both, the reason i say this, as when i opened it up and tried to power it on, the all the fans work which are not directly powered from the main motherboard.

Now stuck on a ****ty old windows 98 pc, until i get it sorted.

P.s it also blew up three diffrent peoples televisions that were plugged in, on my street aswell, ive found out.
Old 23 June 2007, 08:15 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

Could be one of many things.

Try asking on some computer forums.

Overclockers UK Forums - powered by vBulletin
Old 24 June 2007, 02:10 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Buy a surge protector.

<Close the stable door after the horse has bolted mode OFF>
Old 24 June 2007, 07:36 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

When this happened to my brother, a close lightning strike that is he ended up buying a new adsl modem and had to replace the motherboard on his pc because several components had been blown to pieces on the board.

As you now have a working modem, I would replace the motherboard next and hopefully everything will work again. You need to hope that no other parts are damaged, eg. memory, hd, dvd drive etc.

He had a surge protector, and it was useless in this situation as the surge was to great for it to handle. A protector is no match to a close strike.
Old 24 June 2007, 09:35 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Happened to us I claimed a new coputer on my house insurance!!!!
Cheers
Colin
Old 24 June 2007, 09:58 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Surge protector is indeed the way.... which reminds me to get one on the other side of the room.

Hope the computer was not too expensive mate? Worth getting a new motherboard for it ?
Old 24 June 2007, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The surge protector surely will only stop damage from a sudden increase in the house supply voltage. It will not protect the modem and possibly the PC from EMP along the phone line due to a direct or adjacent lightning strike close to the phone lines. It is of course possible to get a house voltage surge due to a lightning strike affect the local transformer station as well.

It means that for complete protection during lightning storms you need to disconnect the modem from the phone line and the PC and modem from the house electricity supply. A surge protector may stop the damage from a strike if it is not a direct strike travelling along the power lines.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 24 June 2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 24 June 2007, 11:59 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

1) As the machine is only a few weeks old, you could just call them up and say it stopped working. Don't mention the lightning strike, and tell them it broke on a day when there was not a storm (just in case they are getting lots of other people complaining). The majority of these computer companies are useless, so if yours is, they won't be able to tell why it broke.

2) Decent surge protectors also cover your telephone line with special sockets for those connectors. Make sure all routes in the computer are covered by one way or another. Phone line should go into the surge protector from the the wall, then filters, then devices - ideal world of course. The further up the chain you can get your surge protection, the more devices it will cover (for the phone line anyway).

Remember to cover audio devices too, as an external amp that does not have surge protection for its power lead can send a spike via SPDIF or other audio cables into your soundcard>mobo>etc etc.

3) Surge protection is not perfect. We are entirely covered with multiple protectors (one for each computer on the network), but we still took a little damage

Last edited by Luminous; 24 June 2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 24 June 2007, 12:17 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonno_johnson
Hello about one oclock this afternoon, it was pissing it down with rain, thunder and lighting, i had my pc on when i heard a loud lighting strike, i heard my modem frazzle and my internet died, i noticed my modem had no power, so i changed the power pack thinking it might be that, nope it was totally screwed, so i went to computer orbit and got a new modem, when i got home i switched on the pc, and it would switch on and the fans power up but the monitor would not come. I changed the grpahics card thinking this could be the problem, nope not that either.

This is a brand new pc, ive had it 3 weeks, it will power up, no signal been sent to the monitor, then within 5 seconds it shuts down, has anyone delt with this kind of thing before, the machine is under a warranty but im not sure it is covered by lighting, i have to wait till Monday to call them and see what they say, paid £800 for it about 3 weeks ago, so i hope they repair it. Ive got a funny feeling its blow the cpu or the motherboard maybe both, the reason i say this, as when i opened it up and tried to power it on, the all the fans work which are not directly powered from the main motherboard.

Now stuck on a ****ty old windows 98 pc, until i get it sorted.

P.s it also blew up three diffrent peoples televisions that were plugged in, on my street aswell, ive found out.

I wouldent tell them it was lightning, just tell them you came to swiitch it on and....

99.99% of PC repairers dont have a clue what caused the damage, they will just replace bits until it works....
Old 24 June 2007, 12:18 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
1) As the machine is only a few weeks old, you could just call them up and say it stopped working. Don't mention the lightning strike, and tell them it broke on a day when there was not a storm (just in case they are getting lots of other people complaining). The majority of these computer companies are useless, so if yours is, they won't be able to tell why it broke.

2) Decent surge protectors also cover your telephone line with special sockets for those connectors. Make sure all routes in the computer are covered by one way or another. Phone line should go into the surge protector from the the wall, then filters, then devices - ideal world of course. The further up the chain you can get your surge protection, the more devices it will cover (for the phone line anyway).

Remember to cover audio devices too, as an external amp that does not have surge protection for its power lead can send a spike via SPDIF or other audio cables into your soundcard>mobo>etc etc.

3) Surge protection is not perfect. We are entirely covered with multiple protectors (one for each computer on the network), but we still took a little damage
Agreed

note to self.

read all the post before posting
Old 24 June 2007, 02:47 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

we all do it