Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The new no smoking legislation

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2007, 04:12 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down The new no smoking legislation

I've just got home from work to find a letter from our fleet management people. Inside the envelope there is a letter and a no smoking sticker It states that company vehicles are "workplaces" and that we have to display these "no smoking" signs or risk a fixed penalty of £200

Now I'm not a smoker so the new legislation shouldn't affect me but how ridiculous is it that you can't even smoke in a car or van, it's bad enough that they make me drive a Vectra without making it look even more like a minicab

Rant over.
Old 21 June 2007, 04:19 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just don't stick it up anywhere. Like you say, it's going to make your car look like a Taxi.

Any smoker that gets in my car, they're told (if they don't know already) that I refuse to have them smoke in my car. Light up in my car, find yourself rolling along the Tarmac.

I live in an Apartment block, and the other day some monkey from the management entered the Entrance lobby and has proceeded to put up `No Smoking` signs up everywhere. Look bl00dy awful.
Old 21 June 2007, 04:21 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

I thought it was just company vans ant trucks etc who had to display the sticker, aren't company cars exempt?
Old 21 June 2007, 04:22 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

It's the law - you must display the sticker or be fined. I'm having to do it with all our company's vehicles too. And the sticker has to be at least 3" diameter to conform with the regs.
Old 21 June 2007, 04:23 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yeah we have the same thing but to be fair its awful being in a car with a smoke, its worse than a smoky pub on a Saturday night IMO. such an enclosed space for it. Also even when Im not in the car (its a pool car) I can tell when someone has been in it, its stinks. PLus after a long journey my hands smell like Ive been holding a cig for ages. the steering wheel is black in sections (its a light grey steering wheel not black leather like most)

Ban it all together Bring on 1st of July at very least anyway
Old 21 June 2007, 04:26 PM
little rick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
I thought it was just company vans ant trucks etc who had to display the sticker, aren't company cars exempt?
No - because there is a possibility you may have to give someone a lift through work and therefore it becomes a 'work place'

I wouldn't put the sticker up - I'm a smoker but would never dream of lighting up in someones car who doesn't smoke
I try not to smoke in my own car cos it stinks for ages after and its not nice for anyone who has to travel with me
Old 21 June 2007, 04:29 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

cancer sticks should be banned or the cost at least trebbled so the tax on petrol can be reduced!
Old 21 June 2007, 04:36 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I just find that this is all getting out of hand now. Soon there'll be no end to what is a public place

Roll on getting rid of my company car
Old 21 June 2007, 04:39 PM
Scoobydid
Scooby Regular

If you manage or occupy a smoke free vehicle or premesis (i.e. your company car) the fines are as follows.
Failing to display stickers £150 if paid within 15 days or £200 in 29 days the court could award a fine of up to £1000

Failing to prevent smoking in a smokefree place carries a fine of up to £2500

So it sounds like even if I sticker my employees van, and he chooses to light up anyway, I have failed to prevent the "crime" (FFS!) so could incur the fine of £2500

Personally I don't care if they smoke, I used to smoke in company vans, if the person I was with didn't smoke I waited until we stopped.

This nannying just makes it harder & harder to run a company with all this additional bollocks (don't get me started on Health and Safety)

Good here innit
Old 21 June 2007, 04:44 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Righty then.... listen up.... SN massive

A car or van is only classified as a smoke free area IF there is more than one people inside, if there is just you (on your own) you CAN smoke (see exception below).

What you will find is that nearly ALL companies now operate a no-smoking policy for fleet/company cars... so that even on your own you can't smoke.

Regards DCI
Old 21 June 2007, 04:44 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Cant smoke in your own private car as well if you're on work time and receive expenses for the running of the car so I've been told. I love it!
Old 21 June 2007, 04:45 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scoobydid
So it sounds like even if I sticker my employees van, and he chooses to light up anyway, I have failed to prevent the "crime" (FFS!) so could incur the fine of £2500
Why do you need to put a sticker in it? that's policy rather than a legal requirement!

It ONLY becomes smoke free if two or more employees are in it
Old 21 June 2007, 04:46 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

This is rolling back a year or so for us Scots. It made no odds to be honest - people now smoke outside at work which costs the company more and still smoke in company cars and vans with the windows open. Ive yet to see someone pulled over for smoking in a company car.

Reckon the cops up here think its gone too far too!
Old 21 June 2007, 04:47 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by little rick
No - because there is a possibility you may have to give someone a lift through work and therefore it becomes a 'work place'
It must just be Scotland where company cars are exempt.

Are vehicles caught by the smoke-free law?

All cars, whether used for business or private purposes, are exempt from the law, unless they are being used as a private taxi. So company cars will not be caught. All other vehicles, i.e. vans and lorries, used primarily for business purposes and any public transportation vehicles will be affected by the new law.
From FAQs : Questions and answers - Clearing the Air Scotland
Old 21 June 2007, 04:48 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Why do you need to put a sticker in it? that's policy rather than a legal requirement!

It ONLY becomes smoke free if two or more employees are in it
Not what our co are saying. They could be making their own rules mind.
Old 21 June 2007, 04:51 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Not what our co are saying. They could be making their own rules mind.
The law for company cars says that IF two or more people are inside then it is smoke free, if just one person (a smoker) then it is not.....

So why sticker the car if you don't intend to carry more than 1 person... is he gives someone else a lift then 'they' can't smoke...

Trust me its true
Old 21 June 2007, 04:51 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

just put all my stickers and signs up around the workplace, to be honest i hate it so i even paid for extra signs
Old 21 June 2007, 04:55 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
just put all my stickers and signs up around the workplace, to be honest i hate it so i even paid for extra signs
I hope they don't say its 'illegal' or make reference to the 'ban' as until 1st July.... as that would be illegal
Old 21 June 2007, 05:25 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Well,the drinkers are next on the hit list (not in cars obviously well,err I suppose yes to that too,spilling it and all that )

Wonder if those that will be out trying to enforce the smoking ban will later be called in to monitor everyones drinking habits.Clipboards in the pub

And those of you who believe you are total saints.....I am sure the government will move onto banning whatever your secret pleasure is...because we are all stoopid and need to be told what to do like naughty citizens
Old 21 June 2007, 05:31 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Paul, it doesnt say where you have to put the sticker, so put it on the underside of the glove compartment
astraboy.
Old 21 June 2007, 05:35 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
Paul, it doesnt say where you have to put the sticker, so put it on the underside of the glove compartment
astraboy.
The letter states that the sticker has to be placed in a prominent position
Old 21 June 2007, 06:23 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I've just got home from work to find a letter from our fleet management people. Inside the envelope there is a letter and a no smoking sticker It states that company vehicles are "workplaces" and that we have to display these "no smoking" signs or risk a fixed penalty of £200

Now I'm not a smoker so the new legislation shouldn't affect me but how ridiculous is it that you can't even smoke in a car or van, it's bad enough that they make me drive a Vectra without making it look even more like a minicab

Rant over.
This is almost the exact message I got a few days ago stating that it's the law that these stickers are put in the car.

Not happy at all. I don't smoke, but I don't want the inside of the car defaced by the stickers either..

Old 21 June 2007, 06:24 PM
SteveShort
Scooby Regular

stick it on the inside of the glovebox, then when they check just open the glovebox

or better still get a 4ftx4ft one and stick it on the roof (patrol car stylee) with a number as well....

just pm me if you need any more helpful suggestions my good fellow
Old 21 June 2007, 06:27 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Placed ISNT stuck
Old 21 June 2007, 06:29 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by lozgti
And those of you who believe you are total saints.....I am sure the government will move onto banning whatever your secret pleasure is...because we are all stoopid and need to be told what to do like naughty citizens
I think a no-wanking ban might be a bit difficult to enforce, no matter how many stickers you put up
Old 21 June 2007, 06:29 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

placed in a prominent position
Prominent position my ****

"Can I see your no smoking sticker please sir?"

"Why yes, of course you can officer"
Old 21 June 2007, 07:28 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Stick it on the roof then
astraboy.
Old 21 June 2007, 07:35 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

All anyone where I work has done has threatened to opt out the company car scheme, and take the cash instead. My company has now adopted a policy of any company car that might be considered part of or used in a "pool" is no smoking (and stickered), while company cars that are expressly for the use of certain individuals (i.e. senior management) can smoke in their own cars provided there aren't any no smoking passengers in work time.
Old 21 June 2007, 09:01 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

i wonder how much the government projected that they would lose in tax by bringing in this law and taking this a step further are they using the greens as a scape goat (and jumping on the band wagon )to criple us with high car tax etc cynnical b that i am
Old 21 June 2007, 11:45 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Well if loads of people do give up smoking because of this legislation.. they WILL have to make the shortfall up from somewhere, so all this extra "green" taxation is a good candidate for that.

Quick Reply: The new no smoking legislation