Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

startinng a new business ,what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2007, 12:17 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question startinng a new business ,what would you do?

me and a mate were talking today what would you do
if you were thinking of starting a new business, what would you start ? or do you know any big sucsess storys in your area ? capital between 1k and 150k
Old 21 June 2007, 02:09 AM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Smile

I started a business a year ago and it's been a major success, now thinking about a third, yeah third. Didn't even need capital to start it! Got a domestic cleaning and ironing business. Now thinking about dog walking as most of the cleaning clients have dogs and they need walked thru the day

There are cleaning franchises and also how about Curves, a 30 minute fitness centre for women it is a great circuit combining cardiovascular and strength training plus it works!!

Hope this helps

AJ
Old 21 June 2007, 09:13 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i would take a 3 week holiday before starting up as you wont be getting one for a while
Old 21 June 2007, 09:22 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Any clues as to what kind of business or what skills or interests that you have.

In my view there are three main types of business to get involved with as an individual - lifestyle, cash flow and capital.

Lifestyle businesses are for people wanting to change their scene, opt out, do something different and work very much to their own agenda (usually less hours than they were doing before)

Cash flow businesses such as owning a franchise or setting up a business to basically 'make a living' which can be low or high

Capital businesses where you deliberately set out to create a value proposition in the market with a specific brand that you plan to sell on after 1-5 years (one of my colleagues does this and managed to create and sell eleven businesses in his best year - one of them got $5m!!).

Deciding why you want the business in the first place will significantly influence how you go about it and what kind of business you get into. The latter usually has the most hours, the most effort, the most risk and when it works the very significantly higher return.

My choice was number one.

Rannoch
Old 21 June 2007, 09:23 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Buddy of mine has started doing loft conversions for storage. He installs a 2 or 3 section loft ladder, hinges an attic door, fits the attic out with 18mm loft flooring and adds a simple loft light for about £400. No one else in the city is doing it and hes getting about 5 calls a week afer just a month. Alright start.
Old 21 June 2007, 09:27 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
me and a mate were talking today what would you do
if you were thinking of starting a new business, what would you start ? or do you know any big sucsess storys in your area ? capital between 1k and 150k

How about a ***** manufacturing business?

Women are dirty b*tches, always w*nking off.
Old 21 June 2007, 09:49 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Business Link is a good source of info if you're thinking of setting up your own firm.
Old 21 June 2007, 09:56 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

On our third business - First was a family firm (potato trading!) which we were due to take over but it ended up being sold in an MBO - which was pretty good for us.
Second was our own thing (fresh produce) set up from scratch which took off really well and then levelled off and struggled to get better so we eventually knocked it on the head.

Current business is superb - PR (and sales) company run by wife and I but using good freelancers on a regular basis. Flexible hours, great clients, interesting work, good money, ideal for when wife has a baby in Nov!
Old 21 June 2007, 06:35 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

thanks for all replys, all good i must say , keep them coming
rannoch: i must say i like option 3 11 business in 1 year wow, what type of things is he doing?

i also like the loft one aswell seems easy and could probably give a desent living

come on lets hear some more
Old 21 June 2007, 07:45 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

My idea is start an agency for home cleaners with an emphasis on hiring trustworthy and honest staff. There are enough people with disposable income who would like to hire a cleaner but its the thought of having a stranger in the house. Personally i'd go for hiring older people.