Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The sudden end to my new car....

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2007, 11:24 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The sudden end to my new car....

...well almost !!

Driving to work this morning and found myself behind a Polo.
Going along Loughborough Rd, and each time we reached a speed cushion she would slow almost to a halt to pass over it.

Anyway, we get to a 5 way junction, lights change and we are off. She goes straight ahead, before deciding at the last minute to turn left, the same way I am going. No drama, I slow, she tucks in in front of me.

We carry on down the road to a set of lights at the end with a T junction, lights on green.
As we approach, she slows..... slowsssss.... sloooowwwwssss. 10-15 metres from the lights she suddenly toes it. I increase speed too, and as she reaches the stop line..... SHE STOPS! The light is just turning amber, so im not sure if it was the light changing or just indecision again, but either way the result was the same!!

I JUST stopped. I mean microns between our cars. I look in her mirror to see her reaction..... Nothing, she is too busy chatting to her mate again, pointing left and right, trying to decide which way to go.

I was fuming but, backed up to a safe distance, and practised deep breathing exercises lol!

Before anyone says it.... I know I should be following at a safe distance, and in fairness, I stopped But its one of those junction moments where everyone gathers up as you pass through the corner. (most do anyway)
Old 20 June 2007, 11:29 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

It sounds like she was lost to me. If Im ever following someone who seems so indecisive or unsure on which route I usually just give them a wide bearth, there is a good chance they will turn off fairly soon and you can continue your journey at your usual pace.

Im sure youve been in a position before where you wasnt 100% sure on which direction to take etc.
Old 20 June 2007, 11:31 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Im sure youve been in a position before where you wasnt 100% sure on which direction to take etc.
No never, I'm male
Old 20 June 2007, 11:31 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
It sounds like she was lost to me. If Im ever following someone who seems so indecisive or unsure on which route I usually just give them a wide bearth, there is a good chance they will turn off fairly soon and you can continue your journey at your usual pace.

Yeah I usually give them a wide berth too, just one of those moments that it looked like a simple decision and turned out to be a momumental life changing moment of her life lol
Not really worried about speed too and from work tbh, central London.... nuff said lol.

Yup I have been lost before, but like to think that my driving and awareness of the road are unaffected, and if it reaches that stage, I pull over and get straight
Old 20 June 2007, 11:33 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
No never, I'm male
lol I was ALMOST gonna use that line!
Old 20 June 2007, 11:40 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol I know what your saying though, I suspect she thought if she stopped at the lights she would buy herself time to work out where shes going.

Not making excuses for her, quite dangerous to pull off them change your mind and come to a stop straight away. Silly women.
Old 20 June 2007, 11:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As ever of course it is always down to you to be able to stop behind someone else although it is onle too easy to be caught out. You must have been lucky to be able to stop in time. Happens to us all eventually!

I dont think you can blame her too much for slowing right down for the sleeping policemen. Depending on how sharp the rise is they will always put a significant shock load into the suspension and the chassis, this is not good for the car. For that reason I always slow down considerably for them since I respect my car.

Les
Old 20 June 2007, 11:48 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You were FOLLOWING a woman , and nearly had an accident.

Well, that's the problem, you should have overtaken her - it's far safer to be in front of them

I actually did the same as you years ago, but didn't quite manage to stop. She stopped on an amber light andout 2m over the line and I 'assisted' her another meter. She got out and appoligised as it had happened to her before. It was on a 4 lane carriageway too, and everyone either side of us went through the amber light. AAAAAAGGHHHH women.
Old 20 June 2007, 11:55 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol yes I confess I could have overtaken, but I prefer idiots in front where I am in some control rather than them behind where there can hit me etc.

Sounds like a similar event to me, she stopped way over the line and prematurely.

As for the sleeping policemen... they were road cushions, you know the pointless squares of tarmac they put in that few cars even touch when you straddle them. She was straddling them, yet slowing to about 3mph to pass over them. LOADS of clearance. But yeahy your right, thats up to her. Not annoyed about that at all. Would rather get to work slowly and in one piece.

My No1 rule.... I dont give a monkeys about being late for work, my life is far more important

Yeah probably was the "buy some time" thing, if I have ever done that I usually come to a safe controlled slow halt, rather than a brake slamming shudder of a stop lol.
I hurt my tootsies hitting the pedal so hard lol

Originally Posted by gpssti4
You were FOLLOWING a woman , and nearly had an accident.

Well, that's the problem, you should have overtaken her - it's far safer to be in front of them

I actually did the same as you years ago, but didn't quite manage to stop. She stopped on an amber light andout 2m over the line and I 'assisted' her another meter. She got out and appoligised as it had happened to her before. It was on a 4 lane carriageway too, and everyone either side of us went through the amber light. AAAAAAGGHHHH women.
Old 20 June 2007, 11:59 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I try to spot these types (also the people on m-ways that wander between lanes) and manouvre away from them - go slow for a bit, change my route, etc. They clearly do not know that they driving is poor. And what's more, if you crash into them it will be difficult to prove that they were at fault.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:02 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
She stopped on an amber light...
You do know amber means STOP, don't you..?
Old 20 June 2007, 12:07 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
You do know amber means STOP, don't you..?
Stop "if safe to do so"
I think that includes causing a collision lol

But yeah, as im the one behind, I fully accept that I "should" be following at a safe distance to do so also.

Its just the sudden acceleration that threw me lol

Miniman, me too mate, this was all actually on one road though, so not too many options. Thought she was going the other way at the first set of lights, if she had indicated left I would have gone straight on instead.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:12 PM
Leebo77
Scooby Regular

Had me worried with the thread title and knowing your luck of late....
Old 20 June 2007, 12:21 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leebo77
Had me worried with the thread title and knowing your luck of late....
It was meant as a bit of a shocker title
Im hoping I have put my bad luck of late behind me now.... Fingers crossed

Did all seem to happen at once didnt it lol

new car, new aura around me and it I hope lol
Old 20 June 2007, 01:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol yes I confess I could have overtaken, but I prefer idiots in front where I am in some control rather than them behind where there can hit me etc.

Sounds like a similar event to me, she stopped way over the line and prematurely.

As for the sleeping policemen... they were road cushions, you know the pointless squares of tarmac they put in that few cars even touch when you straddle them. She was straddling them, yet slowing to about 3mph to pass over them. LOADS of clearance. But yeahy your right, thats up to her. Not annoyed about that at all. Would rather get to work slowly and in one piece.

My No1 rule.... I dont give a monkeys about being late for work, my life is far more important

Yeah probably was the "buy some time" thing, if I have ever done that I usually come to a safe controlled slow halt, rather than a brake slamming shudder of a stop lol.
I hurt my tootsies hitting the pedal so hard lol
Yes I see what you mean about "road cushions", we have got some of those too and they dont cause much of a bump as you say.

Les
Old 20 June 2007, 05:38 PM
Puppetmaster
Scooby Regular

Snazy, where in SE London are you ? Crystal Palace here.... and work in the West End.
Old 20 June 2007, 07:18 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Snazy, where in SE London are you ? Crystal Palace here.... and work in the West End.
Not far off me then mate, Forest Hill and work in Vauxhall next to the river

Just seen where the car is parked too, is that outside the converted church ? I drive "almost" past there quite a lot
Old 20 June 2007, 07:33 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Must both be Palace fans then!

MI6 Snazy?
Old 20 June 2007, 08:57 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Longjing
Must both be Palace fans then!

MI6 Snazy?
lol I hate football with a passion!
As for work... I could tell you but I would have to kill you !
Old 20 June 2007, 09:08 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

lol I hate football with a passion!
As for work... I could tell you but I would have to kill you !
Hmm. Fireman maybe?
Old 20 June 2007, 09:22 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Hmm. Fireman maybe?
Nope definatly not a fireman, but apparently get paid more than them, but then thats not hard these days is it lol

Really not a special job, just seemingly surrounded by high profilers.

SE15, Peckham area eh Might see you about
Old 20 June 2007, 09:53 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Nope definatly not a fireman, but apparently get paid more than them, but then thats not hard these days is it lol

Really not a special job, just seemingly surrounded by high profilers.

SE15, Peckham area eh Might see you about
Peckham indeed, just next door to Del Boy

My car is currently an unremarkable new Octavia Vrs, but I might well be notable as the only person in Peckham not driving like a ****
Old 20 June 2007, 10:23 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Peckham indeed, just next door to Del Boy

My car is currently an unremarkable new Octavia Vrs, but I might well be notable as the only person in Peckham not driving like a ****
lol that would not be a hard level to achieve given the automotice talents of some of the locals lol. But I congratulate you on reaching such a high standard of driving

Dont pass thru Peckham itself too much, but like winding a mate up who lives off the Rye, in Se21 (posh dont you know) aka East PECKHAM !! aka East Dulwich. He hates being called a Peckham boy
Old 21 June 2007, 09:57 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

It's true that most women have fewer car accidents than most men...

....however, women SEE more accidents than men - often in their rear-view mirror!

Dunno why.......
Old 21 June 2007, 12:28 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yet another example of weak-passive driving causing a trouble. Controlled-aggressive driving really is the only way to go and for that reason I'd have overtaken her well before that junction to leave her safely behind me
Old 21 June 2007, 01:33 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Yet another example of weak-passive driving causing a trouble. Controlled-aggressive driving really is the only way to go and for that reason I'd have overtaken her well before that junction to leave her safely behind me
lol read up mate, we already covered that one... One road, absolutly no point to overtake. Only chance is by a school and I aint doing that. After that its a squeeze down a side road that you can just about get thru, let alone pass on.

You will all be glad to know my trip to work today was event free... Oh apart from I washed the car on the way in Shineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyy