Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ferrite Filters/power cables

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2007, 10:25 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrite Filters/power cables

Anybody use ferrite filters on the home tv/hifi stuff?

there was 3 of them packaged up with the tv and i thought they were just posh cable tidy tools

can you tell the difference, or am i just wasting my time pulling the rats nest back out from behind the tv
Old 10 June 2007, 09:40 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Does the manual mention them at all?

Normally a ferrite is used on a cable not for any hi-fi/audiophile purpose but to reduce radio emissions, in line with the EMC directive - the law that limits the amount of radio interference that a piece of equipment is allowed to produce. That's why, for example, the controllers on a PlayStation have those big grey lumps moulded onto the cable right by the connector - they're ferrites.

Placing a ferrite around the cable can make a significant reduction in radiated noise, but typically they only work well at frequencies of 100MHz and higher. So, audio and even TV (ie. S-video, composite, RGB) signals will be pretty much unaffected.

If you know that one of your pieces of equipment interferes with analogue UHF reception, then a ferrite on the correct cable(s) coming out of that equipment might help. (Just don't put one on your UHF aerial lead as it'll have the opposite effect - blocking the wanted signal).

If you want to pull out the rats nest from behind the hi-fi, you'll get a better result from rearranging it to keep all the signal cables apart from the mains, audio away from video, and low-level signals away from speaker leads.
Old 10 June 2007, 08:27 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Does the manual mention them at all?

must go and have a look, it probably does as it first noticed what they are by checking the manufacturers website about something completely different.

the TV is samsung but the filters are TDK, i would fit them but i don't know where is best to put them