Police chief's 'Orwellian' fears

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2007, 08:49 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police chief's 'Orwellian' fears

BBC NEWS | UK | Police chief's 'Orwellian' fears

CCTV seems to be the answer to this governments fears and the Police have embraced it with open arms, it should be part of the solution not the basis for policing in the UK!
Old 20 May 2007, 08:59 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Horses and stable doors spring to mind
Old 20 May 2007, 09:07 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Horses and stable doors spring to mind
Too true,

I feel that the seniorpolice are just waking up to this and that everyday people are just sick of the injustices they see every day. The police have lost a lot of public support because of inicitives imposed on them by government - badly thought out targets, speeding being the most important crime, etc.

Sadly, a few real senior cops, not the carreer cops we seem to have should have stood up and been counted instead of just rubber stamping stupid, ill thought out ideas and knee jerk reactions and massaging the politicians egos.

We are the ones suffering due to this...
Old 20 May 2007, 02:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good to see that there actually is a senior police officer who thinks this way and also has the guts to say it.

Les
Old 20 May 2007, 08:02 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

This has been argued on another thread......
Old 20 May 2007, 09:17 PM
sockpuppet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
This has been argued on another thread......
So what? What's your point?
Old 20 May 2007, 10:28 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

My point being is that this is being talked about on another thread.

Its like having two threads going about the same thing..

Its like me starting a thread now entitled "Police Chiefs CCTV worries"

Trending Topics

Old 21 May 2007, 09:17 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
BBC NEWS | UK | Police chief's 'Orwellian' fears

CCTV seems to be the answer to this governments fears and the Police have embraced it with open arms, it should be part of the solution not the basis for policing in the UK!
Well done Ian Readhead, now what are you going to do about it? Stating the bloody obvious is one thing, making a difference is another.
Old 21 May 2007, 09:32 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

But it’s not the basis of policing – it’s just another tool which we use. Similar to DNA and fingerprints

Remember it was the local council which installs the CCTV and the vast majority of the public are in favour – so is it not the council doing what the public want…?
Old 21 May 2007, 10:43 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

But it’s not the basis of policing – it’s just another tool which we use. Similar to DNA and fingerprints

Remember it was the local council which installs the CCTV and the vast majority of the public are in favour – so is it not the council doing what the public want…?

I getting a feeling of deja vu...
Old 21 May 2007, 11:04 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

I know – I said this on the other post that they are merging together. The response was ‘Your point being’
Old 21 May 2007, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Why was it that when my car was broken into by smashing the window and stealing articles, that the police declined to look at the car and the best they could do was to send me a form to apply to the criminal compensation board?

Les
Old 21 May 2007, 12:13 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Leslie
Why was it that when my car was broken into by smashing the window and stealing articles, that the police declined to look at the car and the best they could do was to send me a form to apply to the criminal compensation board?

Les
Because the crime wasn't captured on CCTV Les. Without it, the police are unable to proceed with an investigation. I suggest you petition your council for wider CCTV coverage. You'll be Ok then.
Old 21 May 2007, 01:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Les
Old 22 May 2007, 12:54 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Les

They will be nothing on the car if they simply smashed the window. The window shatters so there will be no fingerprints or DNA.

Where did it happen - any witnesses..?
Old 22 May 2007, 06:57 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

Les

They will be nothing on the car if they simply smashed the window. The window shatters so there will be no fingerprints or DNA.

Hi Felix
How will the police know if there is any DNA or fingerprint evidence without checking the car, if the scum took things from inside the car then maybe they touched the interior or left hairs or cut themselves, etc.

Without checking how can anyone come to that conclusion!?!
Old 22 May 2007, 12:18 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

A car widow shatters on impact, so no chance of anyone cutting themselves and hence no blood. Also apart from the driver’s mirror, inside of the cowling and the inside of the glass – there are no surfaces to get any fingerprints

If there are no witnesses, no CCTV, no items left at the scene, no suspects – why do you need a police officer to attend.
Old 22 May 2007, 12:25 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

A car widow shatters on impact, so no chance of anyone cutting themselves and hence no blood. Also apart from the driver’s mirror, inside of the cowling and the inside of the glass – there are no surfaces to get any fingerprints

If there are no witnesses, no CCTV, no items left at the scene, no suspects – why do you need a police officer to attend.

LOL!
FFS Felix you just have to be joking, this is just the attitude that winds people up, it is the WGAF attitude that does not get anyone anywhere in this day and age and the police are not exempt either, far from it!

How can you know, 100% for sure there is not any forsensic evidence without attending. Assuption is the mother of all ****-ups so do not assume!

To say otherwise without seeing the scene is arrogant, short sighted and foolhardy!

Last edited by The Zohan; 22 May 2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 22 May 2007, 01:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Les

No witnesses, happened while I was night fishing and the car was parked in the entrance of a road that led to a a commune known for drug offences. I did not know that myself at the time. My cheque book was stolen out of the glove compartment. They needed to enter the car to do this and the doors had been opened since one was on the latch.

Les
Old 22 May 2007, 02:30 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, judging by this article, the police need all they help they can get!!!!

Policing at its best.....| the Daily Mail
Old 23 May 2007, 12:17 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
LOL!
FFS Felix you just have to be joking, this is just the attitude that winds people up, it is the WGAF attitude that does not get anyone anywhere in this day and age and the police are not exempt either, far from it!

How can you know, 100% for sure there is not any forsensic evidence without attending. Assuption is the mother of all ****-ups so do not assume!

To say otherwise without seeing the scene is arrogant, short sighted and foolhardy!

Experience and a few questions asked when you phoned, would establish the need for SOCO. Fingerprint lifts can only be gained from completely flat surfaces.

The only other method to gain partial lifts from un-even surfaces is to pass a haze of effectively ‘super-glue’ over the item and then chemically treat it. This would destroy your car completely and the chance of getting a recognisable lift is negligible.

It would also take days to complete, so Alcazar’s son who was assaulted will have to wait even longer to have his photos done.

I believe Roy Whiting’s van was taken to bits and they couldn’t find a recognisable fingerprint – and he was driving the thing.
Old 24 May 2007, 12:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Hear hear!

Les
Old 24 May 2007, 04:13 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

OK, we will attend every job - but don’t complain if yours is held on a queue for days. You might have to leave you car untouched for a week/month to allow SOCO to view it- - and when they do, they might have to take chunks of your car away which you won’t get back.

To show we are not target driven, we will answer every call as it comes in. So Mrs Miggens having her garden gnome stolen by “…..it must be that family in the next street, I haven’t seen anything, but it must be them….” will be dealt with first over a house burglary.
Old 24 May 2007, 04:58 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

OK, we will attend every job - but don’t complain if yours is held on a queue for days. You might have to leave you car untouched for a week/month to allow SOCO to view it- - and when they do, they might have to take chunks of your car away which you won’t get back.

To show we are not target driven, we will answer every call as it comes in. So Mrs Miggens having her garden gnome stolen by “…..it must be that family in the next street, I haven’t seen anything, but it must be them….” will be dealt with first over a house burglary.
This sort of approach can only lead to further problems, if you do not examine the car then no potential evidence can be gathered so unless the scumbag has a fit of consicence then they will never get caught, also they may be prolific and only end up being caught further down the line and charged with say one offence when ic could be a lot more.

Also if the scum know that there is not follow up then what is to stop them, no much.

This can only lead (in most cases) to more of the same crimes and more crime to deal with making things worse and so on, you have to break the cycle. If it means we need more socco's or cops then so be it but your way the criminals win!