Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

any body go off roading

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2007, 07:28 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any body go off roading

since i an unable to ride my moto x bike any more due to a broken wrist some years ago i havnt really found another hobbie other than the scooby

so today one of my dads friend said they go off roading in there little suzuki jeep which got me thinking that we have an old diahatsu sat up are field that failed its mot so today i set about fitting an suspension lift kit to it( for some reason we had one kicking about in the work shop ) we have 5 proper mud tyres awell so they are going to be fitted in the week my dad is going to make a A frame for towing it so we dont have to worry about getin it all legal !! so i think iv found a hobbie to help me waste money get caked in mud and have a laugh at the same time (just like moto x really) il take some photo and post them after are first outing im sure we will get stuck
Old 13 May 2007, 07:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cool!

There used to be a show on M&M about just this sort of thing. Sounds fun, where about are you going to do this on Northants or do you have your own land?
Old 13 May 2007, 08:04 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

If anyone fancies some fun, this is up for offers https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...-defender.html
Old 13 May 2007, 08:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Went out for a day with Kankuu in The Lakes the year before last and it was superb fun. The owner told us that they're trying to stop people using the green lanes and he has lots of trouble from the Lakeland authorities who can't stand people having fun

Highlights were the Walna Scar Road....

...Grizedale rally stages with the water splashes and the looks on the ramblers faces as we tore up these fully legal public highways Felt like Clarkson when he went up that mountain
Old 13 May 2007, 08:17 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I use my L200 off road a fair bit.
Green laning can be good fun but as a previous post says, the green lanes in Britain are getting closed to vehicles all the time. It won't be long before there aren't any left for us to play on

However, there are plenty of off road sites to use. For £20 - £30 for a whole day you can get as muddy and as stuck as you like!
One of the best in the Midlands is Kirton up near Gainsthorpe in Lincs. A disused quarry and great fun.
The next 'play day' is 27th May.
have a look here Kirton Off Road Centre
Old 13 May 2007, 08:33 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Cool!

There used to be a show on M&M about just this sort of thing. Sounds fun, where about are you going to do this on Northants or do you have your own land?

there is a little track in daventry that i am hopin to go to next sunday but also i am told there is a few im milton keynes and a couple a little further down the m1 and a friend of mine has use of a quarry in birmingham we have been in there abit but only a little mess around as the picks have road tyres!!

but also we are renting part of one of a fields out to some people who are building a new merina so its boggy as hell in there at the mo we went for a little play with road tyres on and got stuck havnt a clue why?!?!
Old 13 May 2007, 10:29 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I get out now and again in my little toy

There are a few sites around Northants - the Protrax site @ Tixover is a little small but quite good fun.

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2007, 10:37 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Tixover is great fun. Watch out for the Devils Pit though, I spent weeks cleaning the stinking crap from that place off of my motor.
Old 14 May 2007, 09:04 AM
Micaredjen
Scooby Newbie

Yup, we do lots - have a 110 Camel Defender which we use for expeditions and a Classic Rangie and Series IIA for off roading, both LANTRA qualified as well

Just get some good recovery points (spreader plates, chassis mounted etc) and rated recovery gear before you go out to get stuck. Bad recoveries can (literally) be a killer

Aside from that, it is a superb hobby that can take you places you'd never even thought existed
Old 14 May 2007, 09:12 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just started going with mate in his series 2a landrover. road spec/tyres it is very eye opening where a bit of driver skill can get it. (and when you run out of skill there is always smeone with a winch )

http://www.future4x4.co.uk/

those little suzukis are pretty decent even with the tiny engines they are still excellent tools. another friend uses a 1.6 sportrak, bounces it off the limited all day, he has some half decent tyres and it goes 99% of the places the landy goes (is a bit restricted in water as it is a petrol).

a bit deeper than we thought
Old 14 May 2007, 11:09 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
...Grizedale rally stages with the water splashes and the looks on the ramblers faces as we tore up these fully legal public highways Felt like Clarkson when he went up that mountain
I'm not having a go at you personally but tearing up green lanes is the quickest way to get them closed to vehicular access. Unfortunately, the ***** otherwise known as the Ramblers Association see the countryside as the sole preserve of walkers and muppets on horses so alienating them does off roading no favours whatsoever.

Of the total footpaths, bridleways, byways and BOATs left in the UK, so called green lanes only account for under 2% and yet ramblers still insist on walking on them and will do their utmost to ban all 4x4 vehicles.

Don't stray from the track, maintain a speed of less than 12mph and avoid more than four vehicles at any one time and you should have plenty of fun.
Old 14 May 2007, 02:51 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a few more pics

Old 14 May 2007, 02:53 PM
LordOfTheRings
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I offroaded a RS4
Old 14 May 2007, 03:06 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

www.wetroads.co.uk if you want to look for a good water splash.

Forest roads can be good in your scooby too (although 4x4 not needed it isn't bad to be driving through Kielder.)

5t.