Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shocking Speeding Advert...

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2007, 09:54 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocking Speeding Advert...

Apologies if this is a repost, but Christ on a bike, this hits home...

YouTube - Heavy hitting Irish TV Road Safety Ad

Old 12 May 2007, 10:05 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Surely the problem is he was driving like a complete assclown......

Well made advert.

However, people would take it more seriously if they highlighted other factors that contributed to the crash;

He was driving beyond his abilities where other roadusers were present, he overtook in an unsafe place, didn't read the road ahead and hadn't anticipated, and therefore wasn't prepared to react to dangers, rather than just blame the whole thing on speeding.
Old 12 May 2007, 10:05 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

I've seen this a couple of times now and am still confused about the speeding issue!

Unless I've missed something the dopey c**t swerved to avoid a dog and lost control,flatten any animal that runs into the road and all is well with the world!
Old 12 May 2007, 10:11 PM
Slartibartfast
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Computer generated tosh IMO.

Looks like a third rate imitation of Final Destination.
Old 12 May 2007, 10:20 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

so because it was computer generated it cant happen????

i some how dont think they could quite get away with doing it for real and killing people for the sake of a road safety advert, do you
Old 12 May 2007, 10:23 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

I think its a good advert!
Old 12 May 2007, 10:28 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by miss*scoobygav555*
I think its a good advert!

For what?

Getting legless on the cheap?

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2007, 10:42 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Yeah, good advert, just shows that pet owners should keep control of their animals

Have you noticed as well that people involved in accidents have plenty of time to hit the horn, maybe they should concentrate more on actually dodging the oncoming car
Old 12 May 2007, 10:57 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
Surely the problem is he was driving like a complete assclown......
I watched the advert and was like **** me, that really makes you think, then you go and say that and make me laugh

I dont know how I should feel now
Old 12 May 2007, 11:02 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Does it have lexus lights when it flips ?? then they go when he over takes?
Old 12 May 2007, 11:11 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!

They showed an ad for speeding from Ireland when I was in Training school for the Ambulance Service, which showed a car losing control and rolling into a fenced private garden where a child was playing and killing the child. It can happen in real life and I know for a fact that at least 10 out of 15 of the class were crying. Don't be so dismissive of speeding and the consequences.
Old 12 May 2007, 11:19 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by red_dog104
Don't be so dismissive of speeding and the consequences.
There is nothing in the advert to show the driver was speeding though??

sure he hit the redline, but i can do that on a national speed limit road in first or second or third gear. The accident was caused by the driver trying to dodge a dozy canine that had run into the road - no bearing on speed at all
Old 12 May 2007, 11:19 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

That wouldn't have been the advert where the bloke had been drinking would it?
Old 12 May 2007, 11:45 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Typical melodramatic claptrap that hides all facts and uses emotion, hyperbole, exaggeration and scary tactics to try to make some point about transport. Should the message be 'dont kill people to save a dog' or is it 'dont overtake in case of stray dogs' or maybe 'stay at home, just in case'.

Accidents are progressively worse due to any increase in speed [ dohh!], but, after a point it becomes less relevant. What exactly is the point, science and relevance of this ad, other than some shower justifying their roles/job/promotion prospects? Best to be targetted on a relevant, focussed message like dont drink/dont drug drive/road racing/bald tyres/joyriding/jail for no insurance/fault due to no MOT/on the phone/tailgating/not bothering to indicate etc etc et bl00dy etc?

D
Old 13 May 2007, 01:43 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

They showed an ad for speeding from Ireland when I was in Training school for the Ambulance Service, which showed a car losing control and rolling into a fenced private garden where a child was playing and killing the child. It can happen in real life and I know for a fact that at least 10 out of 15 of the class were crying. Don't be so dismissive of speeding and the consequences.
Doesn't make me feel great about the ambulance service if seeing a video makes them cry, how do they handle real life Horrors ? Don't they need to be viod of emotion and professional ?
Old 13 May 2007, 01:46 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Typical melodramatic claptrap that hides all facts and uses emotion, hyperbole, exaggeration and scary tactics to try to make some point about transport. Should the message be 'dont kill people to save a dog' or is it 'dont overtake in case of stray dogs' or maybe 'stay at home, just in case'.

Accidents are progressively worse due to any increase in speed [ dohh!], but, after a point it becomes less relevant. What exactly is the point, science and relevance of this ad, other than some shower justifying their roles/job/promotion prospects? Best to be targetted on a relevant, focussed message like dont drink/dont drug drive/road racing/bald tyres/joyriding/jail for no insurance/fault due to no MOT/on the phone/tailgating/not bothering to indicate etc etc et bl00dy etc?

D
regardless of its messages I think the scare tatic is probably the best to go on, its things like this that stop people having that 2nd pint, going that bit faster and generally makes you think about how you drive.

I've been in a pub many a time when that previous drunk driving ad came on and it really does stop you wanting a pint when your driving
Old 13 May 2007, 02:06 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

In relation to the topic, I think some may know about the recent Welsh scene when the controvertial chief constable Richard Brunstrom showed some pics in a meeting for the road safety folks and some journalists.
BBC NEWS | Wales | Dead biker family meet watchdog
Scutch might have posted up a computer generated video but those pics were original. Mr.Brunstrom is being heavily criticised for showing those pictures without asking for a consent from the families of the deceased. His argument is that he wanted to make the impact. Anyway, it could lead to another debate on Mr. Brunstrom's singleminded conduct. but it was mentionable on this thread. hence I added it here.
Scutch's video is impactful. It's not impossible to face a scene like that. So, why not be more vigilant and drive carefully? I get the message, so will others. Good video.
Old 13 May 2007, 03:57 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I fully agree with showing pictures or footage of accidents, and explaining the causes of that accident in a scientific and realistic way. Then there can be lessons learnt and people can take steps to avoid accidents, which obviously can involve, but are not exclusively caused by, speed.

I attended a car crash about six weeks ago, an MPV ran a stop sign, and was unlucky enough to meet with a huge dumper truck.

Neither vehicle was speeding.

The lorry was pretty much unmarked. The front of the MPV was a mess, the engine was 15 yards from the body of the vehicle, the gearbox was six or seven yards away. However the protective zone of the cabin was intact.

This didn't matter though as the driver wasn't wearing a seat belt and the window was open. Therefore the driver was ejected, and hit a wall fifteen yards away. Dead on scene. Had the driver have had a seatbelt on, injuries would have been severe, but I'm sure survivable.

I always wore my seatbelt before that day, but now I won't even leave my driveway without having my belt on, every single time, and I've lectured everyone I know about the importance of seatbelts since! I am almost getting to the point where I want to pull over other drivers who have their kids walking around on the backseat totally unrestrained.........

Last edited by 2000TLondon; 13 May 2007 at 04:00 AM.
Old 13 May 2007, 07:41 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Think you will find it was an oz anti DD advert...they have big problems with DD out there....

i know the advert well, i was blubbing too......

Mart
Old 13 May 2007, 10:27 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

what a great advert.
Old 13 May 2007, 10:39 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

never heard of that case with the copper showing the pics before
Old 13 May 2007, 11:17 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Great advert, I'll certainly think twice about installing that rollover-cannon in my car now.
Old 13 May 2007, 11:44 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Hopefully it just might provoke a bit of thought about the consequences of driving like a prat!

Les
Old 13 May 2007, 11:51 AM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

What ever way you look at it, it does hit home and make you seriously think.
Old 13 May 2007, 01:10 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Indeed. It certainly made my jaw drop compared to the other adverts we're usually subjected to.

I dont know if it has been shown yet in Britain, as there was a petition to try and ban it or show it after 10pm! Amazing.
Old 13 May 2007, 01:14 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Now i will definatelly think twice about swerving to avoid small furry animals.
Old 13 May 2007, 02:32 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Either that or lets get Steven Seagal in the next ad with Meryl Streep as the mum [always a good sobber] maybe even Scorcese directing? This was style over content for the newfound cynic and the oldfound 'scientist' in me sorry. D
Old 13 May 2007, 04:10 PM
Tart Man
Scooby Regular

Location: Custard, Strawberry, Apple, Blonde, Brunette...its all good!

Yes its a hard hitting advert on teh CONSEQUENCES of an accient.

However the the producers of the advert should have done more home work when thinking up a good accident scienario, due to the following

1. You can flip a car several times at 20mph...just need an obstacle, curbs or a verges for example do the job nicely....

2. Therefore speed is irrelevent, crap driving should have been the main highlight of this advert for overtaking inappropriatly (which can be done at any speed)

3. If a dog ran out whilst overtaking, how many people would swerve knowing they are alongside another car? Panic or not. That is the cause of the accident, again at 20mph it "could" have had the same or similar consequences. So it totally undermines the point of the advert about speed; Its crap driving, nothing else, and at any speed that is lethal.

4. By not thinking the storyline of the advert through properly and leaving argumentative holes like the above give excuses for people to ignore the advert - undermining its whole intention - pity.

Now, for example, if the storyline was a car going wide round a bend due to understeering from excess speed and hitting an oncomming car then that clearly can be blamed on speed (in combination to crap driving). And it is a scienario that is VERY common on our roads, and it could have the same end consequence.

Oh well, another ad filed alongside the "Now you see him, Now you don't" advert

Last edited by Tart Man; 13 May 2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 13 May 2007, 04:20 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Ah the Garda....... a law onto themselves

Caught several years back and they had to do a very very illegal speed in a Corolla to catch up with me. I got the usual lecture about speeding and I queried why all the people who carried around unbelted children appeared never to be stopped

I was told, and he kept a straight face whilst doing it, that speeding was a £IR50 fine but carrying unsecured children was only £IR20

At that point I shut up and let him write the ticket. Never did pay it
Old 13 May 2007, 04:47 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Well said Tart Man [& welcome?]. Nail & head. D

Quick Reply: Shocking Speeding Advert...