Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Questions from Ipod numpty

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2007, 04:48 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from Ipod numpty

Ok please be gentle with me. i know bugger all about Ipods - now the gf has hinted that she would like one - but which model do i get her?

she just wants one that will play music and not video so i guess that narrows it down slightly so really i need a basic run down of ipods and what they do and store.

Also any good online places were i can buy one?

cheers
Old 02 May 2007, 04:54 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Nano, small, sexy and good looking. Probably nothing like your g/f

chop
Old 02 May 2007, 04:55 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Oh btw I have got a 2gig one, probably holds 20 albums, Enough for me but if your not short of a bob or to I would get 4gb.

amazon is normally pretty cheap.

chop
Old 02 May 2007, 04:58 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont bother with an 'Ipod', just get an MP3 player so you dont have to use Itunes.

...unless she really want an Ipod in which case go for the nano 2GB - £86 or the smaller 1GB for about £50.
Old 02 May 2007, 05:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If she wants an iPod then from what you have said, the Nano is going to be the best one to get. Don't get a shuffle, waste of money imho. Depending on how much music she wants to listen to you can go for the 2GB or 4GB option. Rose has a 4GB Nano that she takes jogging and she's nearly filled it up and she's had it a year.

If she's not fussy about it being an iPod then any MP3 player should be good enough. One thing I'd check into is what software, if any, is needed to transfer music to the player. Rose's mum has a Sony MP3 player and you need to use their software to load the device and it is horrific. There is also the fact that it seems to re-encode the files using the Sony specific ATRAC (or something like that) encoder, so it's not a straight copy, thus adding time and frustration to getting music on the device.
Old 02 May 2007, 05:30 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Unless you "have" to go for an iPOD for some pressing reason, I really wouldn't.

I recently bought one as there is an iPOD interface on my new car and I really wish I hadn't as it really is a shoddy piece of kit. It's PITA getting MP3s off, although tools like iDUMP help, getting MP3s on is even worse unless you want to let iTunes mangle everything for you.

Expect it to crash and die on a regular basis resulting in the need to re-load all your tunes again, oh and don't even think of unhooking the synch cable without doing a proper undock and god help you if your PC crashes or hangs during a synch. Don't even get me started on battery life (per charge or till it starts only holding a couple of hours charge), crappy ear phones and the ropey headphone jack that cuts out the left channel if I move.

Mine's going on eBAY and I'll be getting an zune, iRiver or Zen to replace it.

Last edited by OllyK; 02 May 2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02 May 2007, 05:50 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Best Apple Ipod model is the Creative Labs Zen

next....
Old 02 May 2007, 08:20 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I've owned several MP3 players and I've just bought a shuffle. I paid £45 for it from M and S. I think it's great for what I use it for.

It holds 1Gb of music ~200 songs and I change the music round every week using ITunes from the 13Gb of music I keep on my laptop. This is so simple. I find I tunes good (and I was very cynical before I used it)

What I really like is the size. It's soooo small, so when I go running I just clip it on my t-shirt. Better than a Nano IMHO.

Battery life is 12 hours. It may not suit everyone's use, but for excercise it can't be beaten.
Old 02 May 2007, 10:10 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Well I recently bought a 30Gb Ipod Video, and have been really impressed by it.

Granted I don't use Itunes very often, as in the beginning I spent days chucking a lot of my CDs on to it, and very infrequently put on individual albums. Currently have just over 1000 songs, about 5 Gb used.

Yes, the headphones are crap but as I bought some Sennheiser CX300s straight away for a good price from Amazon again that doesn't bother me.

Don't find the battery life much of an issue, but it defo doesn't last for 14 hours as I think its meant to?

I bought a cable for the car - aux input on front of Sony HU, Belkin in-cup holder - works really well.

I also bought a cable for plugging into home stereo - again works pretty well.
Old 02 May 2007, 10:17 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Oh, and I forgot the best bit!!

Bought it for £122 delivered off a Power Seller on Ebay, and it was brand new and sealed.

The only reason I can think it was much lower priced is because he doesn't take Paypal - but bank transfer, 2 days to clear and it was delivered next day as promised.
Old 03 May 2007, 09:33 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Its for your girlfriend, therefore image will play a part, and I suspect despite what she's saying if you don't get her an Ipod, you will have done wrong.

I've got a ist gen 2 gig nano, and its been great. Wife has a 2nd gen 4 gig nano and likewise.

Standard headphones are ok, but not great, but £25 sorts that.

I tunes is dead easy to use, especially if you are not particularly computer literate, and converting MP3s is a simple case of importing the tunes which are then converted.

The software is free, and works fine. Never had a crash or a backup issue
Old 03 May 2007, 09:39 AM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

Ive never had a problem with any of mine, first one 20gig g4 the last one was a 30gig g4 video both very good itunes i find no problem with it.