Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

use of a bus lane

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2007, 08:42 PM
prodrive SL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default use of a bus lane

I am seeing alot of people using the bus lanes recently when they are not buses, taxis or bikes. Whats the law around this is it a fine or fine and points?
Cheers.
Old 01 May 2007, 08:44 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

£30 no points
Old 01 May 2007, 08:58 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
£30 no points
If the bus lane is in force...

Might they just have been outside the operating hours for that stretch? The hours vary a lot from 7-10am Mon-Fri to 24/7. Some allow motorbikes too - eg A23 in London.
Old 01 May 2007, 11:54 PM
Puppetmaster
Scooby Regular

I get the same response ...most of the lanes do tend to be 7am -7pm.. however there are several ones I use where they are only enforced during the rush hour... most people don't really read the signs enough to make the most of it though
Old 02 May 2007, 12:01 AM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I get the same response ...most of the lanes do tend to be 7am -7pm.. however there are several ones I use where they are only enforced during the rush hour... most people don't really read the signs enough to make the most of it though

In Edinburgh last year on business I was driving in to the centre at about 3pm and all car were out of the bus lanes which are enforced between 4-7pm. Suffice to say I used the lane at the corect time but got alot of beeps and funny menacing looks. I got over it!!! Since I got back home before them!!

Alot of areas do this too in London. Most people see a bus land and don't even bother to check the operation hours it would seem.
Old 05 May 2007, 04:55 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

There's a couple of bus lanes on the driving test routes in north Leeds. People have failed their driving tests for not checking the signs and then making sure they're in the correct lane. Improper use of lanes and holding up traffic The same bus lanes frequently have a couple of Plods waiting in ambush around a blind bend during their hours of operation The people who use it to pass all the dimwits however are commiting their own offence of overtaking on the left, which should only be done in queueing traffic where it is otherwise unavoidable.

Personally, I think all bus lanes should be made availble to any vehicle with 2 or more people, like the occasionally used (we have 2 in Leeds, I think) "2+ lanes". I am frequently around one of the main bottlenecks into town at rush-hour (although tactfully not usually in the traffic) and even though only a guesstimated 5% of the traffic would qualify, it would ease the problem a little. However, as we all know, congestion is desired by the powers that be so they can justify congestion charging at a future date. Hence all the bus-stops being moved into the carriageway, road narrowing, parking bays created along with minor road end extensions Social conditioning

Last edited by corradoboy; 05 May 2007 at 05:11 AM.