Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2001, 10:00 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Time peoples perception was changed [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Part one

Had some bloody jogger yelling at me 'cos my 2 and a bit year old Rottweiler bitch (who is the biggest softest lump you could imagine) barked at her cos she came out of nowhere, in the dark, wearing black and scared the sh*t out of both of us

My dog, under perfect control and on the lead let out one bark (admittedly loud) and I get grief

Part 2

Wife is out walking the dog, again on the lead and this bl**dy jack russell appears from no where, with its owner screaming in hot pursuit. Jack russell attacks our dog and leaves nice puncure wounds on her back thigh [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Owner drags jack russell off to a torrent of justifyable abuse from my wife - good on her

Got a boot into the bl**dy dog as well. Absolutely NO retalliation from our rottie, who slipped her collar and ran off to a safe distance. Fortunately in a safe direction

Anyway, visit to the vets and get her checked out. Apart from a set of holes in her thigh she is ok and luckily no infection

And people say that Rottweilers are dangerous

Its the bl**dy joggers and stupid little agressive ba$stard dogs that should be shot/muzzled/caged/licenced if you ask me [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Rant over.

Cheers for listening - feel better now

D
Old 18 December 2001, 10:07 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more. There is no such thing as a dangerous dog - only dangerous owners. I have met a pit bull that was the soppiest thing ever.
Old 18 December 2001, 10:14 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

In total agreement. My best (non-human) friend is a Staff called Butch - if a dog comes up to him his tail goes under his legs and he hides behind us - LOL

Old 18 December 2001, 10:17 AM
T16GER
Scooby Regular

Red face

Yep, whenever we used to take our dog out (cross Collie). I always walked with a stick and used more than once, on dogs who's owners had just let them run wild and didn't give a sh*t, I wasn't going to have my dog attacked. I came quite close to fighting with the owners on certain occasions as well.
Old 18 December 2001, 10:18 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

My brother in law is a vet - I worked for him for a good few years - you may have met one or two 'soft' dangerous dogs, but how good would you feel if your rott had chewed a leg of the jogger? I have had to assist on a number of occasions where big dogs had to be put down after slipping the lead and savaging someone (I personally don't think this is the dogs fault - they don't have the same morals as us). You have said that your dog slipped the lead and ran away. Doesn't that put you in the dangerous owner catagory?
(Agree wholeheartedly about terriers - they should all be shot at birth )
Old 18 December 2001, 10:19 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I must admit to having a soft spot for large dogs, particularly Rottweilers and Dobermanns, after a friend had one of each. Lovely dogs, but they do need training by someone who knows what they're doing - as you obviously do if you've managed to get them to run away from an attack!

Both were as soft as tripe, but the party trick was for the owner to whisper "burglars", which prompted in dogs running all over the house looking damn viscious and making a hell of a noise. The word "calm" restored normality.

Barbera Woodhouse had nothing on her

Saying all this, one of the most nervous times of my life was when a rotty up to me in halfords whilst I was wearing cycling shorts. He (or she) stood there and decided to go crotch sniffing... I have never stood quite so still before or since, until the owner shouted, "Tyson, come 'ere".
Old 18 December 2001, 10:20 AM
ChrisB

It's the little buggers you have to watch out for.

We've got a Cairn Terrior and he'll give grief to anything bigger, although there is the odd dog he doesn't bother with in the slighest.

Fine with humans, just a big softie but he think he hard as nails out and about.

Trending Topics

Old 18 December 2001, 10:42 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I have always loved dogs, little uns and big uns have had tons of em (its a living oop north in the country thing).

I have found jack russells to be a VERY agressive dog, dads friend had one and two dobbies and they were sh*t scared of the russell.

I've also been attacked by a dog when i was a kid, it was a boxer and our own pet. It was VERY protective of me and in the summer of 77 i think it was (heatwave?) and the doggy was out playing in the garden.

Dad and i were play fighting inside, dog came in and lunged at dad, unfortunately my head got beteen the dog and my dad and it got me on the back of the head.

It shook me like a doll apparently, and took my dad and a friend to get it off.

The dog was placed in the garden shed whilst i was rushed to hospital.
Dad and friend took the dog to the vets to be put down (took two of them to get it out the car) and the vet said he'd had to put loads down that summer.

The upshot was that i still loved dogs but my mother was totally neurotic and would make me cross the road to avoid oncoming dogs.

I've got a boxer now who's a big soppy thing (was a rescue dog and had been beaten badly by a male as she's sh*t scared of men but loves women and kids - tho curiously likes homosexual males but is scared of butch women....)

Old 18 December 2001, 10:56 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Just reminded me of a tale a few months ago when was woken up one saturday morning by the doorbell, went down half asleep, no one there......

looked up the drive and theres a postman (not my normal one) walking away, i call after him to be told he's not coming back till i put 'that dog' out the back or locked away.

The proceeded to lecture me on how many postmen get injured by dogs each year!!
hello ? If you're that worried aren't you in the wrong job?

if he'd bothered to wait till i opened the door and he could see that the dog was behind a big stair gate in the kitchen!
Old 18 December 2001, 10:57 AM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

IMHO definitely a problem with the owners as much as the dogs.

I've started keeping our black lab Milo on a lead in the mornings, since a resident of our village got a great dane (or similar). It's supposedly a rescued dog, so fair play to him, but it always growls and barks when they meet other dogs. I almost sh*t myself on our first encounter. Can't help but think it should be muzzled, since it almost hauls him off his feet. I also saw it taking a dump last week, and he left it - messy b*****d!

Also had a run in with another lab, it went for Milo and he slipped out of his collar and ran. I ran after them shouting and the damned woman was going "no, no it's ok, it's just 2 male dogs blah blah blah". Was so shocked that we let her off very lightly after got Milo back. Only after I thought of all the things I should have said, and peeved it didn't get a size 10 up it's butt.
This dog's never going to learn either, with her "Bad boy, naughty dog..." row that it got. Good hiding, that's what it needed.

Don't like having to be so cautious, keeping an obediant dog on the lead, but what can I do.

Mike.

Old 18 December 2001, 11:03 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

man, I would go after the jack russel's owner and mention that you cold have a destruction order put on the little $hit! should get the owner to keep it under control.

As for getting greif cos the dog barked at the jogger, WTF? It's what dogs do, they bark, the dog was protecting it's owner! Maggie would have done the same thing, and probably would have barked way more than that.
Old 18 December 2001, 11:56 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Fast Bloke,

I've met hundereds of big dogs over the years, excepting Pit Bulls (so cannot comment) and have never met a dangerous one. Some were not exactly soft lumps, but none were threatening in any way shape or form.

My dog slipped her collar trying to AVOID being bitten again, not because she was being aggressive. I doubt that makes us dangerous owners.

She now has a new collar though

As for chewing the leg off the jogger, that was simply not a possibility, so its not a relevant comment If I had the slightest suspicion she would ever behave like that she would be muzzled.

And if every agressive "attack" was reported, I'll bet you more smaller dogs would be put down than big dogs.

Mike, totally agree. Saw two cairns trying to have a go at a Golden Retriever the other day (all on the lead) What did the owner of the Cairns do??? "Aw, don't be bad doggies now". Yeah, thats going to work. Why do people only think big dogs need discipline and training???

The most aggressive dog at the training class we go to is a West Highland terrier!!!

Markus, that thought has crossed my mind. Saw it this morning - but on the lead this time. Its an arrogant little sh$t, but if it comes near us again I'm going straight to the police. And it and its owner will have more to worry about than a boot up its ar$e.

All the other dog owners round about us have agreed to act as character witnesses for my Rottie Cos they and their dogs all think she's great

D

[Edited by diablo - 12/18/2001 12:04:12 PM]
Old 18 December 2001, 11:59 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

And the postman thing? Its pure dog psychology.

Post man comes to door, dog barks, postman leaves.

Dog thinks its clever and has scared postman away. Cycle continues and reinforces the dogs attitude to postmen.

Best thing to do, apparently, is invite the postman in, so the dog doesn't think its "won". That way you break the cycle.

D

Old 18 December 2001, 12:23 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Wink

Forgot - my mother had a minature poodle...nastiest little b1tch of a thing that ever lived (dead now - ha ha)

I've been bitten by a poodle, a yorkie, a chihuahua tried (no laughing please)...and slobbered on by a staff, great dane (more of a bath really), and pitbull...I know where my preference lies
Old 18 December 2001, 12:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

oi! Kim you forgot about cute ickle maggie

Maggie does like protecting her home, barks a lot if someone stands near the front gate, pity the poor bugger that thinks about breaking into the house, they'll have one hell of a shock.
Old 18 December 2001, 01:20 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Smile

Got a Patterdale and a jack russel terrier.They get on like a house on fire, NOT.
both males.The patterdale is a very agressive dog.We once caught somebody stealing some ladders off the van at 3am,let the dog out and he was straight in there
but on the other hand my sister brings her 3 children round 2,5 and 8 and he loves playing with them.The one thing we dont do is leave the kids alone with the dogs,because you never know what a dog will do.
Old 18 December 2001, 02:11 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh yes - and I've been nibbled by a Weimaraner (is that the right spelling Markus?)
Old 18 December 2001, 02:25 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Kim,

You didn't put Dom in that list, doesn't he count

Old 18 December 2001, 03:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Kim, spelling looks fine to me. Always makes me laugh when someone told me how to pronounce weimaraner, they said it rhymes with daft banana, which kinda sums up our maggie, totally daft, but cute as buttons!

it's amazing how a grey dog can blend in on a sandy beach and also in a wood!
Old 18 December 2001, 04:46 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ah, yes, Dom...bark's worse than his bite
Old 18 December 2001, 05:03 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Once had a comedy moment when I was a kid. Had a 6 foot plus plumber round and my dad was crouched showing him some piping with the plumber towering above, dog sees him as threatening my dad (Springer Spaniel - the dog, not my dad ) and lunged at the guy, took a chunk out of his ar$e and my mum had to ask him to pull his pants down so she could assess the *** damage

Plumber had some bleeding but was fine about the dog, he said he should have realised as his dog would have done the same.

Strange thing was, it was the softest dog we'd ever had but obviously took it's job seriously.

[Edited by Norman D. Landing - 12/18/2001 5:05:34 PM]
Old 18 December 2001, 06:02 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

1 Of My Pooches!
Old 18 December 2001, 06:58 PM
silverscoobports
Scooby Regular

is it germany? that has a dog and ownership test of all dogs?
the dog and owner together must pass really quite stringent tests to gain a dog licence if the dog fails it is immediately "Taken away" never to be seen again. 1 of the tests involves approaching strangers/other dogs including brushing up against the dog when walking past .
i wonder how many little yappie b**tards would pass this i love big dogs so i am biased but surely some sort of test would be fair???
Old 18 December 2001, 06:59 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

My parents have had Rottweilers for almost 20 years now and never had a problem. They've all been fantastic and everyone that's met them thinks they're really gorgeous.

However, my sister had a border terrier which thought it was a Rottweiler and you can guess the rest............

It'd the little ones you gotta watch out for and the dog is a reflection of it's owner (apologies to anyone who owns a ****zu!!)
If the owner ain't got the right attitude then what hope has the dog got?!!

DP.
Old 18 December 2001, 07:43 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have so much sympathy for people on this thread,as the owner of two beautiful German Shepard Dogs,I get people drossing the road to avoid me,Pulling thier own dog tight in on the lead,panicing their dog,...the list goes on,people call themselves dog lovers who havent a clue,can you tell this is a bit of an issue for me?!!

Anyway,sod 'em all,look after your dog and they will be the best friend you could ask for!
steve
Old 18 December 2001, 08:07 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have a lil Cocker Spaniel, she'd lick u to death if you gave her half a chance!!!

Spaniels are great, the only time mine bit me was when she got her paw trapped in the car door and was in obvious pain and just clamped her jaws on the nearest thing which was my hand to show she was in pain.

She is a big softie around kids, just lies there and lets her ears be pulled the lot!!! She loves the attention

ChrisB that thing of yours isn't a dog - its an over grown guinea pig that yaps
Old 19 December 2001, 07:42 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Smile

Is this a dangerous dog?

It is if you are the postman, the paperboy or the neighbour's cat

[Edited by CharlesW - 12/19/2001 7:52:56 AM]
Old 19 December 2001, 11:30 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Smile

Looks pretty laid back to me
Old 19 December 2001, 11:47 AM
BobaFett
Scooby Regular

I like dogs, but am scared witless of them as a result of 2 biting incidents when i was younger.

No.1 - Black Alsatian thing on paper round, bit my arm, had to shake it off

No.2 - Mates Red Setter, took lump out of leg... apparently it had never hurt a fly before me...

Old 19 December 2001, 11:47 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one of my mates has got a doberman rottwieler (spelt wrong..) cross and that is the softest thing ever.... just dont go near him when he is eating...

David

Quick Reply: Dangerous Dogs?