Moving to Somerset. Give me the low down

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2007, 10:50 AM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Somerset. Give me the low down

Hey there folks.

We have been looking at property on the internet for our next move.
At the moment we stay in Central Scotland, in the heart of Perthshire, surrounded by great countryside.Its a nice place to live you could say.

However, we had to rush into a house purchase last summer when we sold our last property and had nothing lined up that we could move into. In the end we had to go for a new build and in all honesty, its been a great move for us in terms of money growth.

My wifes sister has just come back from Australia and has set up home in Somerset, currently building a new house in Westbury Sub Mendip, near Wells.

We have spent a bit of time down there and are now 95% sure that we are going to relocate to there next year when this property is two years old, and the mortgage allows us to move!

We love the better climate, the people, the little villages and towns. The fresh fruit and veg being sold at the road side, good small village schools for the children and the general location of the area.
The countryside is great, there is loads to do and see. Its seems perfect for our way of life.

I work abroad, so Bristol airport is nice and easy to get to.
Caslte Combe is also on the door step for the track days
And the beach is a stones throw too.

We are going to get down in July/August this year again and have a tour round to try and pin down an area that we realy want to be in. At the moment its the area from Cheddar to Wells that we like.
Propertys are great there, very cosy and many of them come with a decent amount of land and/or good size buildings to go with them.
Our budget is up to 400K, more or less depending on location and size/potential.

We are wanting as much feed back from any people in the area be it good or bad.
Its too easy to have the "holiday blinkers" on when your visiting an area. You only see the good points when your trying to convince yourself that its the right move !!!
However, we dont feel its that way. Our family that live down there just now are settled and have no intentions of moving again.
They too love the way of life, friendly pubs, fresh produce and good Schools and services.

Like I said, we are looking for any additional feed back that we can get on the area.
If anyone can help then that would be great.
I am also looking for information on any new build propertys that are starting in the area.
It would be an easy start to move into a new house for a year or so, giving us the ability to live in the area and get to know the county. We would be on the property ladder for the area and also be able to look at our own leisure for the perfect family home with all the boxes ticked if they came up.

Anyway, enough prattling on. Any news or advice that you have.....let us know.

It will be much appreciated. And when we do get down, I will buy the drinks at the local meeting. (if there is one for Somerset )

Many thanks

Jamie
Old 25 April 2007, 01:45 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

I grew up in Cheddar.

It's a nice place to live. We lived in Cheddar for the first 4 years, in a new build, then moved out to Webbington, a tiny place about 5 miles outisde of Cheddar. This was great as kids, as we had a converted barn and a couple of acres. I lived there from 13 to 19, so was able to have motor bikes in the field then cars etc. It was a great way to grow up to be honest.

Went to the schools in Cheddar - Fairlands then Kings Of Wessex. Both very good IMHO. Might be the times (I'm 28 now) but generally, me and the other kids around my age seemed to have a lot more respect for everything than the school kids in Northampton (where I live now) seem to. People seemed a lot friendlier there too.

To be honest, most places in and around Cheddar were much of a muchness, and I'd definitely recommend that area as a place to live.
Old 25 April 2007, 01:53 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

You should be able to get a reasonable 3-4 Bed detached for £400K in Taunton.
UK Estate agents with homes, houses & property for sale on rightmove.co.uk, maybe a little more in Cheddar: UK Estate agents with homes, houses & property for sale on rightmove.co.uk

It certainly isn't a cheap part of the world.
Old 25 April 2007, 02:07 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the word so far.

I know its not cheap, then again, we paid 250K for a 4 bedroom house here last year and the prices have kept going up.

We are prepared to either down size for the same maney or spend more to get a nice location and property.
Spent this morning talking about it with my wife and we have been on the net trawling through the sites. Plenty to choose from .
Only trouble is that this time next year they will be another 40 or 50K more expensive !!!!!
Old 25 April 2007, 04:12 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

But yours should have gone up some more too though?
Old 25 April 2007, 04:26 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Oh yeh, for sure.

The way interest rates are going, there could be some cheap ones next year!!! Poor people who are on the limit just now will be in the red by the middle of 2008 if it keeps going the way it is!!

We are just lucky that we have that extra bit of cash available to fund new property without going for 100% borrowing.

We are looking forward to getting back down as soon as possible so we can get round the agents and see what they advise.
We need to try and get an exact location in mind so we can narrow it down.
Old 25 April 2007, 09:07 PM
beamer
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm Cheddar Strawberries

Westbury-sub-Mendip lovely place small roads with Quarry lorries going to and fro Great views though
Old 25 April 2007, 09:14 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Good Luck in whatever you do J.
Old 25 April 2007, 10:07 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Good Luck in whatever you do J.
Thanks big fella.

Still got another year before this house goes on the market. Need to start the ball rolling now though. You know how it is
Old 25 April 2007, 10:10 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

This lot is local to there and very helpful.

South West Performance Car :: Index

Andy
Old 26 April 2007, 10:11 AM
deano
Scooby Regular

Do it, you won't look back. I lived in Manchester until 2 years ago then one day I thought "**** this" and put my house on the market and made the move.

I walk the dog on the harbour whilst my old mates are sat in traffic on the M6

Take a look at S/E Devon. Exeter airport is close by.
Old 26 April 2007, 11:22 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deano
Do it, you won't look back. I lived in Manchester until 2 years ago then one day I thought "**** this" and put my house on the market and made the move.

I walk the dog on the harbour whilst my old mates are sat in traffic on the M6

Take a look at S/E Devon. Exeter airport is close by.

Not hard moving from Stockport mate - bloody dump.

do you not miss the hustle and bustle?,

did you get a job down there sorted first??
Old 26 April 2007, 12:09 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

I didn't sort out a job. I started a new business as soon as I landed. Thinking back, it was a hell of a risk, but I had a trade to fall back on should it all go **** up.

I look at it this way.... A lot of people work hard all their lives with a dream of retiring to live by the sea. Why not do it now and get the benifit of it before you become old and smell like PSLewis? If you've got kids then it's a no-brainer. This is where they should be growing up.
Old 26 April 2007, 12:35 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Always fancied doing that but the property prices are ridiculous compared to up North, Ok give some nice places in Devon.

cheers
Old 26 April 2007, 12:44 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Plenty of business opportunitys with the old cider makers arrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 27 April 2007, 09:04 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Hey, if I can make extra candy brewing some apples into tasty nectar......bonus!!!!

Ball is rolling now. Going back down in July to see the estate agents and builders in the area.
Will be planing to have this house on the market this time next year. Cant move much earlier as the mortgage has too big a penalty or we would have been off this summer!!!
It wont be long in passing though. I think back to May last year and its like it was only yesterday!!!!!

Will keep you all updated as time goes on