Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Driveway required

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2007, 04:06 PM
gixer6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Driveway required

As part of the ongoing improvments to our new home I need to have the bombsite that is the current driveway restored back to the real thing!!

I'm considering either Pattern Imprinted Concrete or good ole Tarmac.

Can anyone recommend a reputable company (ie no pikeys ) around the Fleet, Hampshire Area ??

Thanks in advance for any help given.
Old 23 April 2007, 04:20 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

Forget Pattern imprinted it's a nightmare, Slippy when wet and if you have services under your drive and they need to get to them it can't be patched! You have been warned.
Check here for the good stuff Tobermore This is where i work as a manager.

Simpsons
Old 23 April 2007, 07:21 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Block paving can be a pain to maintain, although it does look nice.

Issue include weeds coming through the cracks, sagging in the drive from where you normally park, and having to clean the blocks. Yes, all drives need to be cleaned, but trust me, cleaning blocks is so much more time consuming.

No doubt someone will come on here and say that a properly laid drive will never sag. If you park a car in the same place for ten years, it is going to show to some extent. All the people whom I know who have block drives have either relaid bits of them, or have sagging areas.

A set of friends of ours have imprinted concrete, they swear by it. Looks good and with a lot less maintenance than blocks. Of course, it is still not as practicable as tarmac.
Old 23 April 2007, 08:01 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Tarmac!!!!! Don't be one of the Lemmings that goes for block paving ..... Makes your drive look like an NCP ....

Dave
I have yet to sell quality block paving to NCP. Don't be so naive and judgemental, check here pavingexpert - Paving, Drainage and Hard Landscaping Advice
Old 23 April 2007, 08:07 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous

Issue include weeds coming through the cracks, sagging in the drive from where you normally park, and having to clean the blocks. Yes, all drives need to be cleaned, but trust me, cleaning blocks is so much more time consuming.

No doubt someone will come on here and say that a properly laid drive will never sag. If you park a car in the same place for ten years, it is going to show to some extent. All the people whom I know who have block drives have either relaid bits of them, or have sagging areas.

A set of friends of ours have imprinted concrete, they swear by it. Looks good and with a lot less maintenance than blocks. Of course, it is still not as practicable as tarmac.
Weeds do not come through the cracks everyone thinks that they do, Airbourne seeds germinite within the kiln dried sand if not maintained, A properly laid drive will not sag, Check here pavingexpert - Paving, Drainage and Hard Landscaping Advice Imprinted concrete needs re sealing every 12 months to maintain it's looks and guarantee and it's far from cheap.

Simpsons
Old 23 April 2007, 08:12 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous

If it sags someting is not right with your drive mine was dug about 18" deep before they put huge layers of hardcore etc in.

I have regulary parked 40ft loaded shipping containers on my drive (around 30,000 kilos and no sag anywhere!
Old 23 April 2007, 08:17 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
If it sags someting is not right with your drive mine was dug about 18" deep before they put huge layers of hardcore etc in.

I have regulary parked 40ft loaded shipping containers on my drive (around 30,000 kilos and no sag anywhere!
I'm glad someone has backed me up with the practicle side of it! A drive normally needs around 12" of hardcore wackered down in 3" layers.
Old 23 April 2007, 09:07 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

My neighbour has imprinted concrete and it looks bad and ahe regrets it.

I've never seen block paving in any car park in my life!

Someone who quoted me for a drive said laying concrete over the hardcore would prevent any sagging ever. Simpsons, is that over the top?
Old 23 April 2007, 10:07 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
My neighbour has imprinted concrete and it looks bad and ahe regrets it.

I've never seen block paving in any car park in my life!

Someone who quoted me for a drive said laying concrete over the hardcore would prevent any sagging ever. Simpsons, is that over the top?
Well i've heard this done several times, Belt and braces that is!