Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Surveys for house sellers

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2007, 01:58 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Surveys for house sellers

Does anyone know anything about the new surveys house sellers are going to have to start providing on the 1st June - specifically the job of doing the survey?

I was speaking to a mate on Saturday, whose current contract (nothing to do with surveying) is up in 10 weeks. He has signed up for a 5 day course (costs around 1500 quid) to teach him how to do this new surveying. Then all he has to do is sit the exam, and pay another 400 odd quid to join a surveying society and the Estate Agents society or something similar.

He reckons the actual job is a piece of ****. You look around the house, measure the rooms, check the heating works, check for double glazing etc, then stick everything into a computer program and it works out the report for you.

Now this is the bit I'm sceptical about... He reckons a report should take him about an hour to do, and that he's done three trial runs on his house, and his Mum's and a mates. So I don't doubt that bit. But he said by going as a self employed surveyor, he will be paid around 100 pounds a survey! He also said that because there's a massive shortage, he will have as much work as he wants. He intends on doing 4-5 surveys a day, 5 days a week. That's 2-2.5k a week, just from doing a 5 day course and no other experience.

It all seems to good to be true - but got me very interested as I am so bored with what I currently do, and am only on 35k a year. The flexibility of this new job, and the potential earnings, seemed too good to be true to me.

So was just wondering if anyone else knew anything about it please?
Old 23 April 2007, 02:06 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

If it sounds too good to be true .. it probably is , the cost of the new HIP is between £300-500 so £100 of that goes to the "surveyor", seem's a bit much to me .
Old 23 April 2007, 02:10 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The HIP's pack also includes searches and the like, but its obvious that the environmental aspects of HIP's can indeed be put together by chimps, so it makes sense about the 5-day intensive training

This service is also performed by members of RICS, and TBH there isn't a huge demand for extra chimps at the moment, although the people 'running' the training sessions wouldn't of passed this information on.... 'ker-ching' for the trainers
Old 23 April 2007, 02:13 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

He needs to be ABBE registerd to do the surveys and all the training required takes about 18 months . This includes the HCR which will not become compulsory for 2 years but ABBE will not certify him untill he has done the complete course. Without certification he will be unable to upload his reports to the national database and he will basically be breaking the law.
Old 23 April 2007, 02:33 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
This service is also performed by members of RICS, and TBH there isn't a huge demand for extra chimps at the moment, although the people 'running' the training sessions wouldn't of passed this information on.... 'ker-ching' for the trainers
not all RICS members are chimps you know
Old 23 April 2007, 02:37 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
He needs to be ABBE registerd to do the surveys and all the training required takes about 18 months . This includes the HCR which will not become compulsory for 2 years but ABBE will not certify him untill he has done the complete course. Without certification he will be unable to upload his reports to the national database and he will basically be breaking the law.
Do you mean the full surveys people get done? He won't be doing this. Just the basic new one that is being introduced. It sounds like a basic energy efficiency survey.