Smoking ban - first experience

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2007, 10:21 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking ban - first experience

Fookme....

pub we went to today was non-smoking ahead of the new law..

Only problem was that I could smell all the plebs cheap aftershave and perfume..

...anyhoo saves me having to wash me clothes tomorrow (undercrackers not exempt)

Old 21 April 2007, 10:33 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Only problem was that I could smell all the plebs cheap aftershave and perfume..

...anyhoo saves me having to wash me clothes tomorrow (undercrackers not exempt)

Happy to have your clothes infested with the smell of 'plebs cheap aftershave and perfume' instead then?

Old 21 April 2007, 10:53 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

is this law coming into affect in July? as someone said to me it was 1st May?!?!
Old 21 April 2007, 10:57 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I was at a function a few weeks ago and it was no smoking. Was great tho', they had an area outside with tables, chairs and overhead heaters that came on as soon as you sat under them
Old 21 April 2007, 11:05 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SlimJ_2005
is this law coming into affect in July? as someone said to me it was 1st May?!?!

July 1st
Old 21 April 2007, 11:05 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Happy to have your clothes infested with the smell of 'plebs cheap aftershave and perfume' instead then?

Yes
Old 21 April 2007, 11:09 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I'd prefer to be in a crowded pub smelling smoke than some stinky armpit
Old 21 April 2007, 11:15 PM
StewartyBoy
Scooby Regular

Im a Steward for a Nightclub in Glasgow, and all I can say is that I go home smelling of me and not stinking of smoke!! It makes for such a better environment inside the club, without having to choke your lungs up everynight.

A plus is that I also know a lot of people who have given up smoking, just because of the hassles of going outside when its chucking it down at a nightclub, or at work.
Old 21 April 2007, 11:23 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Im a Steward
Wow, I thought they'd stop using that term in the North in the 70's

All our nightclub seniors are Licensed Managers..
Old 21 April 2007, 11:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

good fer yer Stewart
Old 21 April 2007, 11:29 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Wow, I thought they'd stop using that term in the North in the 70's

All our nightclub seniors are Licensed Managers..
WMC's, what ghastly places. We've still got them up here with the old pedantic "Steward". I won't go near them, on principle
Old 22 April 2007, 12:51 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

i cant wait ,the hotel has a small bar only holds about 35 people, and when most of them smoke the place stinks and so do i ,thats with the windows open and 2 fans on roll on july 1st
Old 22 April 2007, 12:59 AM
nufc1892
Scooby Regular

Whats wrong with smoking a ***?

Bet most of you have done it.....not the ciggarette type either.
Old 22 April 2007, 01:00 AM
nufc1892
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
i cant wait ,the hotel has a small bar only holds about 35 people, and when most of them smoke the place stinks and so do i ,thats with the windows open and 2 fans on roll on july 1st

Come from Boro ,and your twisting about a few people smoking.

100% CLEANER AIR ,WHAT YOU GOT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT?
Old 22 April 2007, 11:24 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

yeah i know what you mean if someone farts round here its like a breath of fresh air ..quote from chubby brown ,hes from boro aswell
Old 22 April 2007, 11:28 AM
skyline gtr v
Scooby Regular

We have had the smoking ban in Ireland for the past 3 years best thing that ever happend.
Old 22 April 2007, 12:47 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

It's amazing how many peoples fist concern re the smoke ban is the smell of their clothes Idiots...
If it isnt about health it isnt about anything, because these pub goers will go home with their clothes smelling of sick, beer and kebabs anyway (if it's been a good night out) and surely wash their clothes after a night out in them?
Old 22 April 2007, 12:52 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdabz
It's amazing how many peoples fist concern re the smoke ban is the smell of their clothes Idiots...
If it isnt about health it isnt about anything, because these pub goers will go home with their clothes smelling of sick, beer and kebabs anyway (if it's been a good night out) and surely wash their clothes after a night out in them?

the "idiots" can smell the smoke on their clothes and when you come home to a smoke free household it ****ing stinks the place out !!

I'm made up ! I have the sore throat, smelling clothes and burning eyes you get from a smokey club.. just hope its not too late !
Old 22 April 2007, 12:58 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skyline gtr v
We have had the smoking ban in Ireland for the past 3 years best thing that ever happend.
I was working in Dublin at the time and I was suprised by how much of a difference it made.

Funny thing was, the "action" had all moved outside where all the smokers were - to the extent that many of the non-smokers would follow them outside!

I will welcome the change.
Old 22 April 2007, 04:54 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

The pub where I go for the quiz on a monday is no smoking now and its been brilliant to have a night out and put my clothes back in the wardrobe after 2-3 hours of wearing them instead of needing to wash them just because others have been smoking.

Cant wait for the ban personally.
Old 22 April 2007, 07:47 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

We've had the ban in Wales since the start of April, and it's much better. Roll on 1st July when England finally does it.

Geezer
Old 24 April 2007, 12:55 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

It'll be funny in the nightclubs - all you'll be able to smell is B.O. until they put scented smoke in the smoke machines.
Old 24 April 2007, 01:00 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Best thing ever to happen to Scotland

...apart form devolution
Old 24 April 2007, 01:38 PM
DeltaBravo 9
Scooby Regular

oh yes that has been a great help in wales !! and as for devolution.........
Old 24 April 2007, 02:13 PM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skyline gtr v

Agree 100%. I was up North a while ago having a meal with the kids and a couple where sitting next to us smoking, I had a big problem with it, yet it was exactly what I always done a few years ago and dident see anything wrong with it at all
Old 24 April 2007, 02:17 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

It's actually a disgrace (imo), and, as I have said before a genius ploy by parliament to destract the masses from the serious issues going on in this country...

Watching it getting policed is going to be hilarious... It was in our local paper that Gordon Brittas and Mr Bean have been employed to police the ban come July.
They will work in a pair (sensible) and will be charged with patrolling (at a guess) 100 pubs across the borough...
So at a guess, 20% adults smoke... Almost all will be compliant with the ban and huddle in doorways or go in beer gardens, leaving 1 or 2 smoking in toilets, or darkened corners inside...

In walk Brittas and Bean...
"What have we here? A smoker? In the loos Someones clothes could SMELL smokey as a result of your actions young man... It's time to receive your fine...What is your name?"
Chav: "Mickey Mouse, sir"
B&B: "What's your real name boy?"
Chav: "Jodderell Bank sir"...
And so it goes on..
B&B: "Hi is that the police, we have found someone smoking a menthol tab in the loos of the Golded Lion who wont give his real name"
Police "Fork off we're busy"

So off they go to the next pub add infinitum...

Having spoken to locals and landlords alike, they have both confirmed that come winter months, smoking in toilets will be expected and unofficially supported...
They are in the process of ordering thousands of pounds of new outdoor facilities just to keep business consistent (and these are national chain pubs, not free houses)... Buying decking, patio heaters, almost (but not quite) airtight gazebos, more furtniture etc...

Yeah, this really will be the best thing to happen in England

Old 24 April 2007, 02:23 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

You're wrong, Abdabz. There's no need for policing in countries which already have the ban, and there won't be in the UK once its realised that the overwhelming majority of people support it. Roll on July 1st, can't come quickly enough.
Old 24 April 2007, 03:44 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went training for work in Swansea last week and it was heaven to be able to walk in a pub and have lunch with no smokers infecting my air. I could also spend the rest of my day at the training centre without smelling like an dirty ash tray.

I come back to England and as soon as I walk in my local I can see a haze of smoke which I have to stand in to order at the bar. I didnt carer if my clothes smelt then because it was a night out and my clothes would go in the wash the day after but its the fact that I have to inhale other peoples smoke when I made a decision to quit smoking for health reasons.

Roll on England smoking ban!

Last edited by The Hoff; 24 April 2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 24 April 2007, 03:47 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Enforcement of the ban in licensed premises is primarily down to it's owners. If they don't kick out smokers the face loosing their license.
Old 24 April 2007, 03:54 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
You're wrong, Abdabz. There's no need for policing in countries which already have the ban, and there won't be in the UK once its realised that the overwhelming majority of people support it. Roll on July 1st, can't come quickly enough.
There clearly is need to police it in England because the council are employing these people to do just that?? The examples I have given re local and landlord acceptance of the restriction being confined to toilets and the likes is based on conversations I have been privvy to so that's not wrong either...

I know there were many compromises available but the retarded blanket ban was the easiest one to pass rather than slightly more complicated but far more logical and liberating legislation that would have appeased everyone in the land...

I'm just so pleased that some people who are scummy enough not to wash clothes worn the morning after the night before will no longer smell of smoke . Bollocks to failing schools, lack of beat policing, increases in violent crime and the likes! This morning my clothes only smell of BO, beer, **** and vindaloo!!! Saint Hazzah!

I for one am destined to be "shafted" by the '*** police' in July... Bring it on

Quick Reply: Smoking ban - first experience