Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My Sons Appendix Burst Last Night!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2007, 11:49 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Sons Appendix Burst Last Night!!

Poor sod in Hospital now(mind you when he saw a fit nurse he soon smiled) I'm as mad as hell with our GP kept telling him it was muscle strain, till the pain got so bad he saw another Doc and sent him straight to the hospital, Anyone had this happen?
Cheers
Colin
Old 20 April 2007, 11:51 AM
X30NGO
Scooby Regular

unfortunately it's the way appendicitis is often found out. It's tough to diagnose due to it feeling like a muscle strain, then the severity of the pain determines the actual problem, when it is usually so late on that it's straight to the ward.

He'll be reet, take him a grape from me lol.

Bongo
Old 20 April 2007, 11:55 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Had my burst when I was about 9. Local GP at the time got me taken straight to hospital where they thought it was just a stomach ache - then they realised it was actually burst appendix at the local doctor had said, and it was a straight into operating theatre job!

Should only be in hospital a couple of days after its been taken out.
Old 20 April 2007, 11:56 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

When I was 11 years old..... my mum & dad thought I was pulling a flanker and sent me to school.... I puked, got sent home.... the Dr was called and as soon as he pressed my right hand side I screamed... (Why do they feckin do that!!! I mean I understand they need to touch it... but it was a full Bruce Lee style finger push)

He called an ambulance straight away and on the journey in it 'burst' straight into the operating room, cut open, crap removed, drain pipe installed.... and that was me for two whole weeks

They felt sooooo bad that afterwards I was in toy heaven for many months afterwards.... new remote controlled speedboat, action men, chopper bike.... the good old days
Old 20 April 2007, 12:15 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Its easy to spot, but be careful about making a complaint, you could get booted off the GP's list.
Good job peritinitus didnt set in
Old 20 April 2007, 12:16 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I was 17 when mine started, parents went away and left me at home all weekend, came back sunday night with me lay up in bed whining like a girl lol.... Dad threw a proper wobbler thinking Id been on drugs all weekend pissed up etc... Didnt believe me, he didnt half feel guilty afterwards at the hospital, til 2 days later when I got home he became a ba$tard again
Old 20 April 2007, 12:19 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

easiest way to tell apparently is to have a finger up your bum whilst bending over, probably best if its the doctors though.
Old 20 April 2007, 12:21 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by lpski1
easiest way to tell apparently is to have a finger up your bum whilst bending over, probably best if its the doctors though.
Better than your mums
Old 20 April 2007, 12:24 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

i hope he gets well soon, its good the fit nurse made up for it lol

i had a fit nurse check oot my ding dong when i woz a kid, it woz so embarrising and she woz beautiful i woz only 10
so didnt get a hard on
Old 20 April 2007, 12:24 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Doctors always have big fingers dont they !
Old 20 April 2007, 12:33 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Doctors always have big fingers dont they !

Did yours have one hand each side of your waist at the time
Old 20 April 2007, 12:35 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

now you mention it, i thought it was a stange position to be asked to 'cough'
Old 20 April 2007, 12:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got him sorted.

Appendicitis often is diagnosed like this, and it is common to wait to see what develops whether you're in the hospital or at home. What can be obvious when it is advanced can be very different early on.

Surgeons can open people up and find no appendicitis even when it is strongly suspected. On the other hand, someone can be opened up after it has burst, or it can develop into an abscess over weeks and be missed.

Every GP and Surgeon dealing with this will have been wrong and right on various occasions, just have to make the best decision you can on the basis of the evidence at the time.

I stabbed a poor 2 year old with penicillin on her birthday and her party was cancelled because I thought she had meningitis. She didn't and I just spoiled her birthday. On other occasions similar decisions save lives. On another occasion the diagnosis of meningitis was difficult to make but I treated immediately on arguably fairly soft suspicions and the patient died anyway.

The last two I sent in with suspected appendicitis both had it, and I haven't missed any recently, but sometimes it is luck rather than good judgement I have to say.

Last edited by john banks; 20 April 2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 20 April 2007, 12:53 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah that happened to him 3 times last night whilst being looked at by 3 different Docs and all I could do was laugh Poor Sod I did feel sorry for him though, He told me to Pi55 off when I asked him if their was something he wanted to tell me
Cheers
Colin
Old 20 April 2007, 01:02 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

I was working in Edniborough a few years back, had serious pain in the guts, eventually went to the royal infirmary where the AnE doc said i had collic... right well I've never had collic and never had anything like this... Collic she says, ok so goes back to the job, after an hour i was really in agony, decided to drive home to Wakefield... 5 hours later gets home, collapsed through the door, ambulance came upto Waky AnE nice little asian man plotted a finger up ma bum and say your appendix is the problem and we need to operate... so I'm thinking great give me something book me in... Nope in 20 mins he says... Aggggrhhhhhhhhh
shock wasn't the work, gives me some pre med, ALOT of pre med, and i'm off to the theatre at wich TWO young nurses strip me of and shave my bolls...
got the neetest scar on earth though...
Old 20 April 2007, 01:20 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by john banks
Glad you got him sorted.

Appendicitis often is diagnosed like this, and it is common to wait to see what develops whether you're in the hospital or at home. What can be obvious when it is advanced can be very different early on.

Surgeons can open people up and find no appendicitis even when it is strongly suspected. On the other hand, someone can be opened up after it has burst, or it can develop into an abscess over weeks and be missed.

Every GP and Surgeon dealing with this will have been wrong and right on various occasions, just have to make the best decision you can on the basis of the evidence at the time.

I stabbed a poor 2 year old with penicillin on her birthday and her party was cancelled because I thought she had meningitis. She didn't and I just spoiled her birthday. On other occasions similar decisions save lives. On another occasion the diagnosis of meningitis was difficult to make but I treated immediately on arguably fairly soft suspicions and the patient died anyway.

The last two I sent in with suspected appendicitis both had it, and I haven't missed any recently, but sometimes it is luck rather than good judgement I have to say.
Thanks John, we are just glad he is OK
Old 20 April 2007, 02:27 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Poor sod in Hospital now(mind you when he saw a fit nurse he soon smiled) I'm as mad as hell with our GP kept telling him it was muscle strain, till the pain got so bad he saw another Doc and sent him straight to the hospital, Anyone had this happen?
Cheers
Colin
Colin - hope your son gets better soon

One thing though, he can't be in Bedford South Wing co they defo don't have any good looking nurses

Andy
Old 20 April 2007, 04:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Last time I went to my GP with severe abdominal pains he sent me home saying it was most probably down to the medication I was on at the time. It turned out later to be cancer! In all fairness to him however, I had none of the other symptoms of that form of cancer. Always a worry that sort of thing.

Hope your lad will be soon well and up again enjoying life to the full.

Les
Old 20 April 2007, 10:07 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thanks Leslie, poor guy cannot eat until Monday2 It's not as if he is the fatest boy on earth he has got to let the medication take it's course.
Cheers
Colin
Old 20 April 2007, 10:25 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Cheers
Colin
Pretty much exactly what happened to me a few years ago

Oooow
Old 21 April 2007, 09:19 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

well heres something I've never heard before, talking to the Doc again last night and he said the drip he was on will hopefully destroy the Appendix, and he may not need an operation, depends how bad the abcess around the Appendix gets, so does it desolve or will he poo it out??? Anyhow his g/f was holding his hand yesterday, not bad going considering they broke up a while ago.
Cheers
Colin