Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Premonition/Precognition

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2007, 11:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Premonition/Precognition

Now I am not really into all this stuff, paranormal etc, however I have had a few experiences that make me wonder,

Woke up this morning, having had a dream that ended with a car accident, just before the airport tunnels at Manchester airport, crashed car lying on its side, Police, Ambulance, me observing but not part of it.

I mentioned it to the missus and went to work, I remembered the dream as I got to that part of the road and laughed at myself a little but decided to accelerate past two other cars slowly, slowly as to be honest it had scared me a little but again was telling myself not to be stupid, as I passed the first of the two cars, a white Laguna, it lunged out from lane one into my lane, I saw it coming as I was alongside and anchored on as I had time to but it very nearly hit me, if I had taken my normal no prisoners approach and hoofed it I am in no doubt the dozy **** would have piled me into the barrier, at the exact point where the upside down car was in the dream.

I have also dreamt somone had died, specific person and found out that someone had died the next day, not the same person, so I thought I had got the concept right but not the detail, the specific person was taken into hospital two days later.

I went through a spate of plane crash dreams, pre 9/11 (didnt see that coming) but it went dream, plane crash on news, I remember one morning telling the wife about my dream where a plane had crashed into water and on the news a plane had crashed off the runway into water in Hong Kong.

I just put it down to coincidence, lots of people dream about different stuff every night, some must dream about Giant Hummingbirds eating their Coco Pops or filth, some must dream about plane crashes and wake up with the smell of Jet 1 in their nostrils ?

Its a pity its not a bit more reliable, this mornings saved my No Claims Discount though.

Anyone got any tales ?
Old 29 March 2007, 11:47 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all just coincidence of course, but it seems very poignant at the time.

When Princess Di died, I woke up in the middle of the night with a uneasy feeling and checked the news on Teletext in case anything had happened. It was still reporting that she'd just broken her leg at that time, but I had a strong sense she'd died. I never normally do that sort of thing. I'm not an ardent royalist at all, it just seemed really spooky at the time.
Old 29 March 2007, 11:51 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Oh, and my mum and I both had the exact same nightmare at the same time when I was a little kid. I went to wake her up as kids do, but she was already on her way to my room to check on me. Weird!
Old 30 March 2007, 08:49 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Now I am not really into all this stuff, paranormal etc, however I have had a few experiences that make me wonder,

Woke up this morning, having had a dream that ended with a car accident, just before the airport tunnels at Manchester airport, crashed car lying on its side, Police, Ambulance, me observing but not part of it.

I mentioned it to the missus and went to work, I remembered the dream as I got to that part of the road and laughed at myself a little but decided to accelerate past two other cars slowly, slowly as to be honest it had scared me a little but again was telling myself not to be stupid, as I passed the first of the two cars, a white Laguna, it lunged out from lane one into my lane, I saw it coming as I was alongside and anchored on as I had time to but it very nearly hit me, if I had taken my normal no prisoners approach and hoofed it I am in no doubt the dozy **** would have piled me into the barrier, at the exact point where the upside down car was in the dream.

I have also dreamt somone had died, specific person and found out that someone had died the next day, not the same person, so I thought I had got the concept right but not the detail, the specific person was taken into hospital two days later.

I went through a spate of plane crash dreams, pre 9/11 (didnt see that coming) but it went dream, plane crash on news, I remember one morning telling the wife about my dream where a plane had crashed into water and on the news a plane had crashed off the runway into water in Hong Kong.

I just put it down to coincidence, lots of people dream about different stuff every night, some must dream about Giant Hummingbirds eating their Coco Pops or filth, some must dream about plane crashes and wake up with the smell of Jet 1 in their nostrils ?

Its a pity its not a bit more reliable, this mornings saved my No Claims Discount though.

Anyone got any tales ?
I've never believed in things like that (though I think there's a lot we're subconciously aware of, which affects our actions without realising - such as spotting a slightly dodgy looking car, and expecting them to do something stupid).
When I was at school though, I once dreamt about a female games teacher, who, given her job (and sexuality), I'd never had anything to do with. Found out in the morning that she'd died overnight. That spooked me a bit.

If my grandad ever pops into a dream, I always ring the next day, just for a quick chat of course!
Old 30 March 2007, 09:26 AM
Bram
Scooby Regular

There is only one thing wrong with premonition theory. What about all your other dreams or thoughts that never happen. They far out way any that actually happen, law of probability I suppose.

I keep having one with our Salma but it never happens. I just keep dreaming.
Old 30 March 2007, 09:26 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I've had premonitions in the past but always whilst awake. Some have been very vivid like a very short film playing in my head, some are just a very strong feeling I get. All have been scarily accurate

The freakiest thing I ever saw was a plane exploding in the air just hours before Lockerbie happened although I didn't know at the time that it was really going to happen or where it was, I did know that it was during the hours of darkness though. The image of it happening just flashed into my head from out of nowhere, it blew my mind for quite a while after

Mostly it's just very mundane, every day stuff and it never happens when I want it to like before I pick my lottery numbers

I have no idea how it happens but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me it's all a load of rubbish and doesn't actually occur
Old 30 March 2007, 09:31 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Not really premonition but loads of times i've gone to pick up the phone to call someone and it's rung just as i've got to it - with the person i was going to ring on the other end! Usually happens when I go to call my brother.
Spooky.

Trending Topics

Old 30 March 2007, 09:32 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Ive been expecting this thread. . . . . . . .
Old 30 March 2007, 09:34 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its all just a glitch in the Matrix.....
Old 30 March 2007, 10:46 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

You should read "Beyond Coincidence" by Martin Plimmer. It talks about the science of coincidence and is interlaced with several amazing coincidences.

Basically, it says it is nothing more than coincidence, funnily enough. If something is statistically possible, then ultimately it will happen.

It's along the lines of ...."I was just thinking of you and you rang, wierd huh?!?!?!" but then says that you think of people all the time, and very rarely do they ring you, but statistically, it will happen eventually. But, those events stick in your mind, and you discard the several thousand times that you thought of Mr X but he never rang you.

It even says dreams are up to 19% accurate.

It's worth a read though just to see some of the coincidences!

Geezer
Old 30 March 2007, 12:40 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

I agree that it is just coincidence, but sometimes it is still weird... a few weeks ago I was off work with a cold, and prowling round the house I started going through some mail that had piled up. I picked up a letter that was about payment of an insurance policy, and scanned the letterhead to find the phone number to ring them. Literally as I read the number I looked across to pick up the phone, and saw the same number come up on the Caller Id display as they rang me...

Of course there are a gazillion other times where nothing like that happened.
Old 30 March 2007, 12:44 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
Ive been expecting this thread. . . . . . . .
I knew you were going to say that!
Old 30 March 2007, 01:30 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I knew you were going to say that!
ditto.....
Old 30 March 2007, 02:01 PM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Alot of the time i have a song in my head, very clear and loud, then i turn on the radio and hey presto! its THAT song on the radio (and no, i havent got a metal plate in my head or anything, lol)

I once heard a story about a guy who's dad had left him and his mum when he was only a baby.

He found out about him, and tried to track him down, this guy was now in his thirties. He was drawing blanks everywhere he tried and was just about the give up hope when one day he went to make a simple, run of the mill phone call. There was a cross connection and the guy ended up being connected to............you've guessed it, his dad!!! how weird is that.

I am pretty sure it is not made up as the book was quite credible and had photo's of individuals involved etc.
Old 30 March 2007, 04:49 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I've had Deja-vu in the past. But it's not happened for ages.
Old 30 March 2007, 05:18 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Humans are funny creatures, we love to try and find patterns in things, we usually manage to do so, even if there isn't one.
Old 30 March 2007, 05:41 PM
Bram
Scooby Regular

I am still trying to see what Picasso was trying to do, let alone any other pattern.

Emperors new clothes spring to mind with that type of art.
Old 30 March 2007, 06:13 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I went to bed and dreamt of an oil tanker grounding off the south coast a few years ago... Cant remember the specifics but the next morning it had happened.
I wondered whether my neighbours piped BBCnews24 through the walls to subliminally make me aware of current affairs, but it turned out it was just a spooky premonition...
Old 30 March 2007, 07:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

how specific would one need to be to proove that its more than coincidence ?
Old 31 March 2007, 12:54 AM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

I was at work and remember talking about flying on concorde etc - I remember saying to the group flippantly that I would never go on concorde as it has never crashed in 20 odd years so it must be due one - next thing we were looking at the news on BBC.......

Found it a bit odd but coincedences happen, I think a lot can be put down to the fact that in general people think alot - when you make a prediction and it comes true then it sticks in your mind, however there are countless times a day when you probably think things and nothing ever comes of it.

I have often also wondered how many times the mind plays tricks on you. e.g. something important happens and you project the thought that you predicted it before the event. Obviously if you have voiced your concerns to someone else before hand then its different.

Andy
Old 31 March 2007, 01:10 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dannybwoy
Alot of the time i have a song in my head, very clear and loud, then i turn on the radio and hey presto! its THAT song on the radio.
Same happens to me. Freaks me out.
Old 31 March 2007, 11:54 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 106rallye
I was at work and remember talking about flying on concorde etc - I remember saying to the group flippantly that I would never go on concorde as it has never crashed in 20 odd years so it must be due one - next thing we were looking at the news on BBC.......

Found it a bit odd but coincedences happen, I think a lot can be put down to the fact that in general people think alot - when you make a prediction and it comes true then it sticks in your mind, however there are countless times a day when you probably think things and nothing ever comes of it.

I have often also wondered how many times the mind plays tricks on you. e.g. something important happens and you project the thought that you predicted it before the event. Obviously if you have voiced your concerns to someone else before hand then its different.

Andy
My missus rang me when the second Concorde crashed, I was dumfounded as they had just gone back into service and one had crashed in very similar circumstances, get off phone and thinks 'hang on'....

Rang her back, 'Are you watching a video'

Her 'No, er, oops, yes I am'

Still hasnt lived that down.
Old 02 April 2007, 12:19 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i took my mum to the local tescos on sat morning,

and iwas thinking about one of the mums from my daughters old school
she had moved out of the area,

guess who went past,

the very same woman
Old 02 April 2007, 12:30 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
i took my mum to the local tescos on sat morning,

and iwas thinking about one of the mums from my daughters old school
she had moved out of the area,

guess who went past,

the very same woman
In a case like that though, maybe you'd seen her and not registered it, which got your mind wandering.
Old 17 April 2007, 03:24 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

On Sunday I had some mad dream about a load of gypsies turning up somewhere and me being so put out by them that I got an air rifle and started making their caravans look like swiss cheese...
I thought nothing more of it until Monday morning when I arrived at work and the neighbouring car park was awash with pikey scum...
They've been moved on today so no time to buy an air rifle... Scary though!!
Old 17 April 2007, 03:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Abdabz
On Sunday I had some mad dream about a load of gypsies turning up somewhere and me being so put out by them that I got an air rifle and started making their caravans look like swiss cheese...
I thought nothing more of it until Monday morning when I arrived at work and the neighbouring car park was awash with pikey scum...
They've been moved on today so no time to buy an air rifle... Scary though!!
Get one anyway......just in case they come back!!!

Ns04
Old 17 April 2007, 03:34 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

As Lord Baden Powell would say, Be Prepared
Old 17 April 2007, 03:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by davegtt
As Lord Baden Powell would say as he lined up his next barrage on the Gypsy camp, Be Prepared
Edited for accuracy!
Old 17 April 2007, 04:27 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
how specific would one need to be to proove that its more than coincidence ?
The problem is that most people who claim to have some kind of future sight, can't do it on demand. So, if you want to test yourself, next time you have a dream or something that you think may be future sight, write it down in as much detail as possible and file it away safetly. Try and write it as a series of verifiable statements rather than prose e.g.

Car accident
Red car on its side
Blue car crashed in to it
Woman in a green dress
etc.

Include dates and times if there is any indication

When you get an event that occurs that seems to match one of the records you have, get it out and compare (also count how many misses are already sitting in your file). You may then be surprised how different what you wrote is from how you thought you recalled it (yes human memory is poor and changes things over time, details if not the broader picture).

Now compare the event to you list and see how many of the items you can match up. If you can tick off less than half, I'd forget about it. If you can tick off more than half, and can do this 2 or 3 times on the trot without collecting a whole load of dream sheets that don't come to pass in between, I'd say you may have something worth being tested for under controlled conditions.
Old 17 April 2007, 04:36 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
As Lord Baden Powell would say, Be Prepared
and lol1 at New_scooby_04 I couldnt own an air rifle I'd become a menace

I'm special. I want me to stay that way