Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Need to lose weight and get fit help needed

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2007, 06:03 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to lose weight and get fit help needed

I am 24 ,6ft and weigh 14st and have a beer gut on me. I changed jobs 2 years ago i am now a sales rep and in that time i have put on 2-3 stonne in weight. I recently just got back of holiday and i really didnt feel comfortable with how i looked.

So i need all your help guys how can i get fit again. I am thinking about joining a gym and i also live near a big park so can do some training there as well.

What would you suggest i do first

thanks

Last edited by vallumlj; 28 March 2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 28 March 2007, 06:07 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Sorry, but I have to...

Originally Posted by vallumlj
in that time i have put on 2-3 stonne in weight
at the Freudian spelling mistake

BTW - seriously - dump the alcohol.
Old 28 March 2007, 06:09 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Stop eating so much crap, cut down on the booze and do some excercise.

Not the science of rockets............
Old 28 March 2007, 06:14 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Im same age as you, but Ive always been quite active anyway, The best way I think of keeping fit, is doing something you really enjoy, Like a sport/hobby. I love football and play sunday league so I train twice a week and play on a Sunday, but I never think of it as keeping fit, its more of a get together with my mates and having a laugh, but while im doing that im keeping fit so its not to much effort and I really enjoy going!

Ive tried going to the gym and having a exercise routine and going out jogging, but I end up losing interest and stop going(same boring thing, in the same place) or the weather gives me a excuse not to go jogging, I think if you take up hobby like martial arts or boxing you can enjoy it and lose some weight at the same time!!!

Last edited by scoobyboy1; 28 March 2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Re: spellimg
Old 28 March 2007, 06:28 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You`ll be suprised what difference a 30 min walk/jog would make to your overall fitness levels and weight. If you`re going to drink try something with less calories, lager has 8 tea spoons of sugar in one pint alone, as for food intake, cut back on your carbs.

Remeber, if you`ve never done alot of training before, don`t just rush in, gradually will surfice...

I used to be a fitness insructor so just nice and easy first then build yourself up, you never know you might get to like it....
Old 28 March 2007, 10:55 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

I lost 4 stone in 1 year (was 16, now 12, 6'3 height).. I just cut out *all* the crap in my diet. Went from eating snacks all the time to eating 3 meals a day. Small breakfast, 2 sandwiches for lunch and a dinner. Nothing at all in between. I really don't know why so many people complain about losing weight, I found it easy enough. I also started jogging 3 times a week for that year (I now cycle 3 times a week instead, much better on your joints and more exciting).

The only downside was my appendix did explode, but I don't know if that was directly linked to the weight loss.
Old 28 March 2007, 11:50 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

try this http://lighterlife.co.uk

its fantastic ive been on it 5 weeks and ive lost 1 and a half stone! it is hard i'll be the first to admit it but if you want fast affective results and keep the weight off try that. also join your local total fitness and get a training programme

Trending Topics

Old 29 March 2007, 12:08 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well you've come to the right place for this sort of advice, since here you'll find cage fighters, power lifters, body builders, martial artists, nutritionalists, dietitions, fitness trainers, athletes, to name but a few....

You needs a balanced low fat diet and do plenty of exercise, specifically cardio/aerobic exercises 3-4 times a week, no more. Main hurdle is remain dedicated to this regieme. Lots of people give up too easily expecting miraculous results in a short period of time. Main thing is to realise it won't come quickly, it'll take at least 6 months to loose around 2 stones healthly.
Old 29 March 2007, 12:16 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

as above 30 mins exercise 3-4 times a week and look at what you eat no more than about 2000 calories per day and don't ski[p meals its the biggest mistake people make when looking to lose some weight
Old 29 March 2007, 01:27 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

i'm on a diet too, not doing as well as i was 2-3 years ago, (when i dropped from 16stone to 13) now around 12 1/2. still got large gut

at that big loss, my main thing i did was, cut out all my drinks to water,
quit all choc, fat snacks, ie chrisps, and cut all fried food (worked in a chippy then) hard work.

cut all ready meals, ie microwave foods, pot noodles etc,

and i lost 3 stone in about 3-5 months , strange but true

oh yeah i used to do some exercises too,. just simple running ones though
Old 29 March 2007, 08:00 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I'd echo most of what's said above. The key for me was to find an excercise regime that worked, I could handle the food changes easily. In my case I got an MP3 player, some proper trainers and a heart rate monitor and started running.

I'm still running a year on and I still like it. In the past it was a struggle to run - it was a chore and an effort. The gadgets made it fun for me.

So think what you may like to do, swim, run, cycle, walk, gym.

IMHO you'll struggle to loose weight unless you do some excercise.
Old 29 March 2007, 08:14 AM
weemac2000
Scooby Regular

I know it's no longer fashionable, but I lost 3 stone in 6 months on Atkins and to be honest it wasnt a struggle at all. It so happened that I had a regular health check just at the end of the 6 months, and my blood sugars, cholesterol etc were all just fine, which seems to contradict some of the negatve opinions about this diet. Exercise ( light) is also part of this regime, which a lot of people don't appreciate. I wouls agree that whatever else, you should consider at least a little light exercise regularly
Old 29 March 2007, 08:20 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Cycling is great as it's low impact and something you can do for half an hour or 3 hours without getting wrecked just buy a comfy saddle
I'm 32 I cycle twice a week 10-20 miles, run 5k once a week and use a stepper at home for half an hour once a week and despite the fact I drink plenty of booze and have the odd takeaway, I have maintained the same body weight for 4 years now
I could do with losing a stone more I guess but am happy enough.

Manufactured diets (IMO) are for the weak minded... How many people will tell you theyve "tried every diet" blah blah blah...
Cut down on the sh1te and excercise regularly. It IS that easy for everyone It becomes an enjoyable way of life, where things aren't measured in points or colours. You wont get headaches, or get depressed. Your breath wont smell and you wont need to drink 50 litres of water an hour to blag yourself that your full and destroy your kidneys.
Buy a bike for the weekends and get running round that park after work... Sorted. Yours, Dr Abdabz
Old 29 March 2007, 08:27 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I'm fairly against advocating joining a gym, unless you're of the mindset that enjoys it you'll give up (if you were you'd already be there). They're boring as sin imo.

Best thing you can do I reckon is find a sport you can enjoy, then when motivation is flagging force yourself to do it. Once you start to realise it was worth it it'll become less and less of a chore.

Most things you can do will be better than sitting around in the living room. Obviously running, cycling, swimming are very good but as long as you're up and about out of the house doing something (not necessarily strenuous) you're on the right track.
Old 29 March 2007, 08:29 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
It becomes an enjoyable way of life, where things aren't measured in points or colours. You wont get headaches, or get depressed. Your breath wont smell and you wont need to drink 50 litres of water an hour to blag yourself that your full and destroy your kidneys.
Buy a bike for the weekends and get running round that park after work... Sorted. Yours, Dr Abdabz
Old 29 March 2007, 08:40 AM
wilfthree
Scooby Regular

Improve diet reduce intake (but not drastically) esp beer etc drink lots of water and take plenty of cardiovascular exercise - forget doing weights as they're a bit of a waste of time for losing weight.

As an obsessive gym goer it p*sses me off watching all the fatties kid themselves by doing weights. It doesnt burn significant calories in a time efficient manner. Simple as that.

Personally I would go for cycling, running on treadmill, rowing or cross trainer. If they're too boring then a game like footie, tennis, squash etc. But watch the alcohol intake afterwards. Jogging is great but if you're carrying extra weight your much more likely to create longterm injury.

Good luck.
Old 29 March 2007, 08:53 AM
kend
Scooby Regular

Eat Less

Run around more
Old 29 March 2007, 09:30 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

A lot of good advice above, particularly cycling, (more enjoyable than running). Cut out the rubbish from your diet and cut out the alcohol. Avoid Atkins but look into low GI diets, they are sensible and sustainable, as they don't mean starving yourself and being generally miserable all the time.

But what you need more than anything is a goal and a reason, so what I suggest is every monday morning, you post up your weight on this thread, that way you'll have a target and we can all encourage you, (or take the p*ss if you've put on weight)!

Paul.
Old 29 March 2007, 10:53 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

And all this is free You'd have to pay to get this sort of advice on WeightWatchers.

In all seriousness posting the weight could be quite motivational
Old 29 March 2007, 11:03 AM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

The basic idea of loosing weight is to burn off more calories (by exercising) than the calories you take in.

Try some green tea too. It works. Great de-toxifier.
Old 29 March 2007, 11:42 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread reminds me of the loony asylum joke. (No, not the Home Office).

A guest is being shown round the asylum, and in the consultation room he sees the tidy arrangement of a thimble, a cup, and a bucket. He asks what they're for.

The director explains they are for selection of patients. "We tell them the bath is overflowing, there are these containers in the bathroom, and what would they do first?"

"Ah" says the guest. "So the normal person chooses to use the bucket and the future patients choose the cup or thimble?"

"No" replies the director, "the normal person turns off the tap. Would you like a bed by the window?"