Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Did I get the Job ?
Yes there is still a chance
25.00%
Yes you got it !!
2.78%
No chance
50.00%
I seriously doubt it and the man is really mean for not telling you !
22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Did I get the job ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2007, 01:56 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Did I get the job ?

Right, had my interview on Friday.. he said he'd let us know beginning of the week.

No calls and the post has been today with nothing from them.

So I email him !

Asked for a read receipt !

He read it at 1:20 and knows I know he read it, but didnt reply with No straight away, which any normal fair person would have done !! yes ??

Anyway Do you think based on this I have still got a chance?
Old 28 March 2007, 02:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could well be seen as you being a tad rude. Yes, he said he'd contact you at the start of the week, but he might well be busy and have not had the chance to do so. Maybe I'm wrong here but the "contact you next week" line is typically them just being polite and you are only likely to hear back if you actually have the job.
Old 28 March 2007, 02:07 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
It could well be seen as you being a tad rude. Yes, he said he'd contact you at the start of the week, but he might well be busy and have not had the chance to do so. Maybe I'm wrong here but the "contact you next week" line is typically them just being polite and you are only likely to hear back if you actually have the job.
No no, he did say he would let me know either way. My email was very polite and carefully worded.

End of the day I spent time researching the position and took time out to get dressed up and try to impress him, I think a quick email to let me know isn't asking too much and shows I'm still keen!!

Which I am!
Old 28 March 2007, 02:11 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Don't agree with that - they should get back to you either way. I guess they will wait until they've spoken to the successful candidate before telling those who missed out.

But if they only said 'beginning of the week' I'd at least wait a bit longer than you have!

Maybe he was on his luch break and eating a sandwich, maybe they've offered it to someone else but they haven't accepted yet - if you were in the running he's going to wait until they've either accepted or rejected the job.

Just chill man!
Old 28 March 2007, 02:14 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I hate my current job...
Old 28 March 2007, 02:16 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you might be his second choice, and his first choice is mulling it over
Old 28 March 2007, 02:24 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

If it's been done through an agency and its the agency your chasing then the answer is NO you're going nowhere
They will harrangue and harrass the customer/your potential boss until they get the answer.
If it's a yes, they're straight onto you bigging it up and sorting things out.
If they dont know, they'll tell you so but try to keep you interested. It may be the agency have 47 other candiates for interview over the next 2 weeks...
If it's a no, you're zero commision time... You're lucky if you get any feedback before your third contact to be honest... I've dealt with so many of these tw@ts theyre worse than estate agents...
My mates an assosciate director of one and we talk "shop" a fair bit... Oooo the games they play!
If it was with the actual company doing the recruiting directly, then hang in there pimmo You never know

Trending Topics

Old 28 March 2007, 02:26 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

So I email him !

Asked for a read receipt !
You’ve probably blown it through your impatience.

Anyone that requests a read receipt (unless business crucial) sends off the I’m insecure and utterly desperate on getting the job signals.

Hope I’m proven wrong and you get the job, but I wouldn’t hold out much hope

Cheers
Old 28 March 2007, 02:31 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

If it was a big company any offer of employment may have to come through their HR Division which will take a few days. Be patient. First Class letter means you've got it; second class means you haven't. No letter and it's a **** comapny with no manners IMO. Good luck but keep looking....... dl
Old 28 March 2007, 03:04 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you lot need to toughen up a bit. There is no such thing as manners these days in the job market.

If they want you they'll be in touch quickly, if they don't then you probably won't hear from them either way. It's the way it works.
Old 28 March 2007, 04:43 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you lot need to toughen up a bit. There is no such thing as manners these days in the job market.

If they want you they'll be in touch quickly, if they don't then you probably won't hear from them either way. It's the way it works.
****...you sure sound hard as nails
Old 28 March 2007, 04:48 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

I feel your pain. I know how annoying it is when a company tells you they'll let you know 'either way', and end up not getting back to you.

The job I'm currently in was something I wanted so badly. They said they'd get back to me within 24 hours... a WEEK passed, during which I contacted them numerous times to find out (i was temping at the time, had to know whether to start a new temp job or not). Anyway, when I'd just about lost hope on a Friday evening, they phoned and told me they'd be delighted to offer me the position.

There's always hope!!
Old 28 March 2007, 04:55 PM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

They may have other candidates to see.

They may have offered it to another candidate and are waiting for their response before offering it elsewhere.

Who knows.... If you get the call, great. If it were me I'd keep looking.
Best of luck with it.
Old 28 March 2007, 04:56 PM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

-double post-
Old 28 March 2007, 05:09 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Its a small company, they had 5 people to see on Friday and that was it.
Old 28 March 2007, 05:25 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Probein
I feel your pain. I know how annoying it is when a company tells you they'll let you know 'either way', and end up not getting back to you.

The job I'm currently in was something I wanted so badly. They said they'd get back to me within 24 hours... a WEEK passed, during which I contacted them numerous times to find out (i was temping at the time, had to know whether to start a new temp job or not). Anyway, when I'd just about lost hope on a Friday evening, they phoned and told me they'd be delighted to offer me the position.

There's always hope!!

Very true
Old 28 March 2007, 05:52 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie

Anyone that requests a read receipt (unless business crucial) sends off the I’m insecure and utterly desperate on getting the job signals.

Cheers
my emails are setup for read receipt for all emails. Its a business thing. He could have ignored it, unless it has it set to reply automatically...

where would the harm be in emailing me and let me know even if he said we haven't decided. Two words !!

If you haven't had a job you hate you wouldnt understand ! Its really fustrating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

scrap that i didnt get it
Old 28 March 2007, 06:20 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

bummer - try and find out why by asking politely and sounding interested not pissed off. Chalk it down to experience and take this forward to the next interview...
Old 28 March 2007, 06:20 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I got an email addressed to David... my name is Mark

but it did have my email quoted
Old 28 March 2007, 06:21 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichB
bummer - try and find out why by asking politely and sounding interested not pissed off. Chalk it down to experience and take this forward to the next interview...
it was an IT job, but they didnt ask any IT questions so my personalitly must suck gutted
Old 28 March 2007, 06:30 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Cheers
Utter bollox. The fact that you chased him up simply indicates that you are keen. The fact that you did it politely and prefessionally demonstrates that you are keen and have some intelligence.

If he is undecided then you have actually helped your case. The fact that you set up a read receipt simply implies that you want to make sure he receives the email. I would always be perfectly happy for a candidate to chase up the outcome of an interview in this fashion

sorry just re-read your last post good luck with other jobs

Last edited by brumdaisy; 28 March 2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 28 March 2007, 06:32 PM
leef44
Scooby Newbie

I'm currently in the process of recruiting for someone to join my team. We finally made an offer to the right candidate after all the interviews. I expected him to accept straight away. He then imposed certain conditions which were reasonable but required some more work and meetings with senior management to see if this was acceptable.

I had to try and catch those managers between other important meetings in their busy schedule. I could not reply to the other candidates until I knew whether the job was accepted by the first candidate.

This gives you an idea of what should be a straight forward reply turns in to a long hauled event.

Either the interviewer is still considering other candidates or is awaiting for acceptance from one. If someone chased me when I said I would reply, I would not take this the wrong way since I'm at fault for not replying at the said time. You may be second on the list.
Old 28 March 2007, 06:36 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leef44
I'm currently in the process of recruiting for someone to join my team. We finally made an offer to the right candidate after all the interviews. I expected him to accept straight away. He then imposed certain conditions which were reasonable but required some more work and meetings with senior management to see if this was acceptable.

I had to try and catch those managers between other important meetings in their busy schedule. I could not reply to the other candidates until I knew whether the job was accepted by the first candidate.

This gives you an idea of what should be a straight forward reply turns in to a long hauled event.

Either the interviewer is still considering other candidates or is awaiting for acceptance from one. If someone chased me when I said I would reply, I would not take this the wrong way since I'm at fault for not replying at the said time. You may be second on the list.
he said no
Old 28 March 2007, 07:30 PM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
it was an IT job, but they didnt ask any IT questions so my personalitly must suck gutted
An IT job and they didn't ask technical questions at interview? I'd not want to work there.
Old 28 March 2007, 07:30 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I got an email addressed to David... my name is Mark

but it did have my email quoted
Sorry to hear that.
Any company that can't even get your name right isn't worth the trouble . I wouldn't trust them with the payroll for example. They did you a favour.

By the way there are employers with manners in the job market - don't believe otherwise. I was recently recruiting for 2 positions and eventually saw more than 20 potential candidates (I'm a fussy git) and everyone of them was treated fairly and kept informed about what was going on. Took shed loads of my time too. I sent a couple of the CVs onto other depts that were also recruiting and got the message back that the candidates appreciated being treated with respect and really wanted to work for such an organisation
Old 28 March 2007, 08:45 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Utter bollox. The fact that you chased him up simply indicates that you are keen. The fact that you did it politely and prefessionally demonstrates that you are keen and have some intelligence.
Isn't it just as well that we are all different. Because guess what, if I was looking for staff and I received an e-mail politely asking if the applicant had the job or not, with a request for a read receipt on it......it would help make my mind up.

The beginning of the week maybe does means Monday or Tuesday but sending an e-mail on the Wednesday is still far too keen IMHO. But then again I don't work in HR................................thank god

Sorry you never got the job but keep trying and take some comfort in the fact that it's easier to find a job when you are in a job rather than out of work.
Old 29 March 2007, 12:04 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I actually think read receipts are rude and a invasion of privacy.
Old 29 March 2007, 12:19 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Isn't it just as well that we are all different. Because guess what, if I was looking for staff and I received an e-mail politely asking if the applicant had the job or not, with a request for a read receipt on it......it would help make my mind up.

The beginning of the week maybe does means Monday or Tuesday but sending an e-mail on the Wednesday is still far too keen IMHO. But then again I don't work in HR................................thank god

Sorry you never got the job but keep trying and take some comfort in the fact that it's easier to find a job when you are in a job rather than out of work.
well that should have a few people letting out a sigh of relief neither do I though but I do know how to treat people who have made the effort to apply for a job with me (god help em)
Old 29 March 2007, 12:59 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I actually think read receipts are rude and a invasion of privacy.
why?

Its like sending a letter recorded delivery !
Old 29 March 2007, 02:05 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm with Kiwi on this one...People asking for read receipts fill me with the same joy I usually only reserve for unsolicited phone calls from overseas call centres.

and....It's nothing like a 'recorded delivery'..not in the contect of a job application

...and whilst I'm at it (can't sleep ) as for people in HR. Most (not all) that I've met in my relatively short 21 years of employment, have been sickly sweet, ultra false, two faced and usually have weird names, always with quirky spellings like Sarrah, and surnames undoubtedly hyphenated. You've got to watch their eyes, that's the important bit with these Human Remains lot, they can try and fool you with their wee false smiles but **** all moves above the nose. FALSE

A serious good luck with the job hunt Pimmo... I remember only too well being in a job that I hate, but it sure beats the year that I spent out of work...made me appreciate it alot more.

Quick Reply: Did I get the job ?