Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar/camera detectors advice

I know this has been done to death. I need a setup that will:

Warn of cameras of all kinds including average speed

Detect lasers

Preferably cover Europe just in case I go for a hoon

I do not need Nav function

Preferably portable or some scumbag will break my window to nick it!

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 27 March 2007, 05:06 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Laser detection is a waste of time unless you have jammer installed, by the time the detector picks it up you're nicked already.

Europe is fine, but be careful as they can be illegal in some countries such as France - a Sat Nav is less likely to arouse interest.

A PDA based system such as offered by TomTom won't cost much more than something like a Road Angel anyway and for the most part you can get free Camera DB updates whereas with some of the dedicated systems you have to pay.

Personally I use a PDA with TomTom and a RoadAngel. When I'm in France the Road Angel stays home.
Old 27 March 2007, 06:47 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

[quote=OllyK;6786459]Laser detection is a waste of time unless you have jammer installed, by the time the detector picks it up you're nicked already.

Jammers are illegal aren't they?
Old 27 March 2007, 07:02 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I've got a Snooper S2 which does all that you seem to want it to do; although, as said - many of these kinda things are illegal in France (don't know about other EU countries) - including the S2. Perfectly legal in the UK though.
Old 27 March 2007, 07:32 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Snooper also do a laser jammer. What happens if the police catch you with a jammer?
Old 27 March 2007, 07:37 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I've now owned the Origin B2 for over a year now and I am thrilled with it, before that I owned a Bel 550 which was also good but the false alarms drove me up the wall. (not sure whether the Origin B2 works outside of the UK for fixed cameras)

Laser detectors ARE worth it:

You can get deflection from other cars in front (though) you have to be close to the car in front.
Plus, I did read that according to ACPO guidelines, the copper should take 3 readings hence giving you time to slow (this last point I'm not so sure applies now as I haven't read the ACPO guidelines as of late).
I have been 'lasered' numerous times, slammed on the anchors to slow and not had any tickets, NIPs etc. Whether I would have had NIPs if I had not of slowed, I cannot answer.
Old 27 March 2007, 08:35 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
I've now owned the Origin B2 for over a year now and I am thrilled with it, before that I owned a Bel 550 which was also good but the false alarms drove me up the wall. (not sure whether the Origin B2 works outside of the UK for fixed cameras)

Laser detectors ARE worth it:

You can get deflection from other cars in front (though) you have to be close to the car in front.
Plus, I did read that according to ACPO guidelines, the copper should take 3 readings hence giving you time to slow (this last point I'm not so sure applies now as I haven't read the ACPO guidelines as of late).
I have been 'lasered' numerous times, slammed on the anchors to slow and not had any tickets, NIPs etc. Whether I would have had NIPs if I had not of slowed, I cannot answer.
Hi

I take it the Origin has a laser detector or is it an optional extra? When you've been 'lasered' were these by handheld units and did you see the them after?
Thanks
Old 27 March 2007, 08:55 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

yes Origin has a laser detector in the package, it comes with as standard.

I have been lasered by guys in vans, vans on bridges, guys on the side of the road and guys hanging out of car windows..., never saw them until I had the warning

Always dealt with Networx Autmotive due to their competitive prices and very helpful staff:

Networx Automotive Online: Buy satellite navigation and GPS detectors
Old 28 March 2007, 07:36 AM
STI VI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personnel preference is the Valentine one, it will not pick up specs, but is the only real defence against mobile camera vans Valentine One radar and laser detectors
Old 28 March 2007, 07:59 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI VI
My personnel preference is the Valentine one, it will not pick up specs, but is the only real defence against mobile camera vans Valentine One radar and laser detectors
It won't pick up Specs or Truvello as they use underground cables. Radar isn't used very much these days either and laser is rather hit and miss. TBH a V1 is pretty much redundant these days, guy at work has one and 10 points on his license, I have a Road Angel and a clean license - go figure!
Old 28 March 2007, 09:37 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

This product has good write ups.

Laser Pro Parking Sensor car parking sensor

Such as this one.

Untitled Document
Old 28 March 2007, 10:03 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prasius
I've got a Snooper S2 which does all that you seem to want it to do; although, as said - many of these kinda things are illegal in France (don't know about other EU countries) - including the S2. Perfectly legal in the UK though.
Also illegal in Ireland for what it worth.

Shaun
Old 28 March 2007, 10:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is illegal to own or use a radar or laser jammer.

Les
Old 28 March 2007, 10:58 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

^^ Scoobynet misinformation strikes again. Do your homework, Les.
Old 28 March 2007, 11:21 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

It is illegal to use a jammer. It is not illegal (yet) to own a detector.
Old 28 March 2007, 11:22 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is illegal to own or use a radar or laser jammer.

Les
IIRC there isn't a specifc law preventing the owing or even the use, however, you may well get done for obstructing an officer whilst carrying out his duites if you are found to be using one.
Old 29 March 2007, 01:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I admit that I am probably wrong in saying that it is illegal to own a jammer so maximum satisfaction to the man who mentioned that of course. Probably the same as owning an illegal CB set in the old days but you could only get done if you were caught speaking into the microphone! I am certainly right however in saying that it is illegal to use one to jam either radar or laser speed detectors. What do you think might happen Olly if you went through a speed trap and the camera said Error and when you were stopped down the road you were discovered to have a jammer on the car? I reckon you would certainly be done for using it. The wording on the summons would suit whatever the law says about it I imagine. It may all just be a matter of semantics however in that respect when it comes to using it and jamming with it. Perhaps you could explain.

I certainly did not say that you may not use a detector, I would not be without my Snooper.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 29 March 2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 29 March 2007, 01:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I admit that I am probably wrong in saying that it is illegal to own a jammer so maximum satisfaction to the man who mentioned that of course. Probably the same as owning an illegal CB set in the old days but you could only get done if you were caught speaking into the microphone! I am certainly right however in saying that it is illegal to use one to jam either radar or laser speed detectors. What do you think might happen Olly if you went through a speed trap and the camera said Error and when you were stopped down the road you were discovered to have a jammer on the car? I reckon you would certainly be done for using it. The wording on the summons would suit whatever the law says about it I imagine. It may all just be a matter of semantics however in that respect when it comes to using it and jamming with it. Perhaps you could explain.

I certainly did not say that you may not use a detector, I would not be without my Snooper.

Les

This may help answer some questions
Old 29 March 2007, 02:03 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

If you would like a cheap, legal solution to this problem, go for the Talex Lite. It is a GPS based warning system, that tells you of fixed sites and mobile camera sites, which should be all you need. I got mine for £65 and 3 years subscription is £49.

Jammers are illegal and you will get done if you are caught. Detectors that pick up a signal from the camera will soon be illegal too.
Old 29 March 2007, 02:05 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Any female co-pilot over 30 should do the trick, they'll soon let you know when you're going too fast, the wrong way, the right way, too slow, your average speed, etc, etc, etc......
Old 29 March 2007, 02:10 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Jammers are illegal
No they're not

and you will get done if you are caught.
You may do - but again, look at the link in the post above yours, while some people have been arrested over the use of jammers, the CPS have been reluctant to take it further if people don't plead guilty.

Detectors that pick up a signal from the camera will soon be illegal too.
Not much point going for one anyway, most cameras now work on pietzo strips in the road (Truvelo) or are SPECS, the old radar based GATSOs are a bit of a dying breed these days.
Old 29 March 2007, 02:11 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Any female co-pilot over 30 should do the trick, they'll soon let you know when you're going too fast, the wrong way, the right way, too slow, your average speed, etc, etc, etc......
Just don't ask them to navigate though!
Old 29 March 2007, 02:11 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by OllyK
Just don't ask them to navigate though!
Old 29 March 2007, 04:00 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Ok, don't confuse me.

I want a system that detects as many of the threats as possible but does not open me up to even the possibilty of prosecution. Obstructing an officer of the law in my job could mean the sack.
I've narrowed it down to

Road Angel Plus. Covers every kind of camera and mobile laser but not mobile GATSO. Seems to have the added advantage of being 'wireless' as far as I can tell. But if thats the case how does it detect mobile lasers???

Snooper S6R. This covers everything inc mobile GATSO but seems like it needs a professional install to get a neat job.

Anybody got either of these?
Old 29 March 2007, 04:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Ok, don't confuse me.

I want a system that detects as many of the threats as possible but does not open me up to even the possibilty of prosecution. Obstructing an officer of the law in my job could mean the sack.
I've narrowed it down to

Road Angel Plus. Covers every kind of camera and mobile laser but not mobile GATSO. Seems to have the added advantage of being 'wireless' as far as I can tell. But if thats the case how does it detect mobile lasers???

Snooper S6R. This covers everything inc mobile GATSO but seems like it needs a professional install to get a neat job.

Anybody got either of these?

I have the classic RA and it works just fine. You can add additional locations in to suit yourself such as cameras on roadworks or new mobile sites. Most SCAMERA partnerships publish where they site mobile devicies and in the case of some, such as Leicestershire, they even state which days they will be at which sites!
Old 29 March 2007, 04:24 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I've Origin B2, Road Angel (New), Snooper S4Neo.

Best is the Origin, but it really needs hard wiring.
Snooper is plug & play.
Road Angel is plug & play, although it does tend to fall off its mag mount while cornering at warp 5.

Old 29 March 2007, 04:57 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

The Talex lite...looks like a clock radio stuck to your dash...yughhhhh

I've been using a road angel classic in my company car for a number of years with no problems....but just purchased recently the Snooper Evolution 4...which is fantastic....comes complete with European Camera database as standard...and the new model has laser alert built in....(not radar alert) this is an optional extra.......but a crackin little unit...looks cool to as it matches the crystal grey colour of the scooby...
Old 29 March 2007, 08:46 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks

DCI, why have you got 3 units??

Can someone tell me how the RA detects laser if its plug and play ie where is the laser detection device??
Old 29 March 2007, 08:54 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

I took my laser jammer off before a trip to the Nurburgring as police over there tend to take a dim view of these things and are likely to bend you over the bonnet before having your car crushed

Never bothered to re-fit it, even though it possibly saved me from a minor speeding conviction once in three years. Just not worth the risk. I know the law is unclear on the fitting and use of laser jammers, but it is potentially very serious.

Anybody that gets done by a static camera these days is blind, and by a camera-van must be at least visually challenged or not paying attention. Yes, I sometimes drive fast, but only on clear roads that I know to be safe and plod-free

BTW, the trick in using jammers is to slow down quick and switch it off so the laser can take another snap at legal speeds. BUT your number will go in a database of suspect vehicles and if it pops up again, expect a knock on the door. And if you just pi555 past at 120 with the jammer activated and giving the finger, you deserve everything you'll get.

Richard.
Old 29 March 2007, 10:27 PM
karl h
Scooby Regular

Technology Driven Solutions

Quick Reply: Radar/camera detectors advice