Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is it possible to implement (from a legal standpoint) ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2007, 12:59 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Is it possible to implement (from a legal standpoint) ?

Hi guys, just wanted ask a simple question of what you think my choices are and if its at all possible to do what i want to do.

I have a wonderful idea for a business but have no time to start it up or otherwise organize it.

Noone in UK currently does anything of that kind (i dont actually think anyone in the world does this sort of thing) - it requires almost no primary investment to start up and can potentially bring tenths of thousands pounds every month.

So my question is :
I wanted to sell my idea, but sell it as a percentage in the business - so if someone bought the idea it will cost them nothing unless they start it up and it brings them profit - after which point i would want at least 10% of their profit.

So do you guys think its possible to do something like this ? And what would be the best way to do this ?

I had a thought to draw up a contract with a lawyer and sell this idea as a contract on ebay, but then again - if the contract is going to be signed by 1 person what would stop that person from giving that idea to his friend to avoid paying anything to me ?

Thanks in advance!
Old 26 March 2007, 04:54 AM
DJ Vinyl Ritchie
BANNED

You have 2 options as I see it.......

1) Fookin' get yourself on Dragons Den

OK, you may not need much financial backing, but you are guaranteed fundamental, professional support, in terms of planning, marketing etc etc.......

And no muttering or stuttering infront of the Dragons or they'll spank ya ***, big time. Haggle with the ******* - don't go giving away a 50% stake.

2) Confide in my good self with your plans and this time next year we WILL be millionaires, my son

DJ Vinyl Ritchie........................don't forget to give them wnakers Theo Pathitis and Duncan whatever his name is [and please don't remind me what it is] a glasgow kiss from me
Old 26 March 2007, 10:05 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

sounds like you need some kind of franchising, and sell off territories, what sort of price you'd get is another matter if it isnt running yet. Chances are though, the reason no-one is doing it is because its not profitable.

You really have to get it off the ground and prove it to be worth anything. Maybe you really need to get yourself a business partner
Old 26 March 2007, 10:14 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

An idea is worth next to nothing, it's all about the execution. If you really believed in it, you'd find a way to make it happen yourself.
Old 26 March 2007, 11:38 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Unless your planning to build a Death Star, then you may need a little help
Old 26 March 2007, 12:07 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

PM me, I recently secured private equity investment for my business and I can at least offer some advice, if not some sort of equity deal.
Old 26 March 2007, 12:14 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by angrynorth
PM me, I recently secured private equity investment for my business and I can at least offer some advice, if not some sort of equity deal.
Stand by for the "self cleaning underpants pitch"
Old 26 March 2007, 12:36 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Get some legal advice. On patent stuff, Adam M on here is your man. Also lurks on 22b.

But you will face two big problems: ideas are the easy part, geting the thing to market will be the hard part. You've really got to do that, even in a small way, to prove value and potential.

Then, if it is successful, protecting your business from copycats, whatever the legal position might be, can be a nightmare. If it's from overseas, even worse You could end up making your solicitor very rich! A big business partner with experience and clout might be worth trading a good percentage of the business for their support and protection.

Good luck,

Richard.
Old 26 March 2007, 01:08 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by serega
... can potentially bring tenths of thousands pounds every month...
A tenth of a thousand is a hundred. Are you saying that this idea could bring in hundreds of pounds a month? Doesn't seem worth it if you need to work full time at it...