Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

u.f.o's

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2007, 10:40 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default u.f.o's

Hi all , browsing on youtube today looking at the vast number of ufo footage on there and it got me thinking.Do they exist? is there intelligent life out there? ok most of the footage is blatently fake no doubt but some im not so sure, here's some of the more so called "genuine" ones >
YouTube - UFO video from military camera. (Full version) 1997
YouTube - UFO NASA
YouTube - Top Secret UFO Nasa Tapes
YouTube - Mexico Ufo Encounter 11 UFO's The most famous sighting ever!
Ok before you call me crazy i know these could all be fake but still very interesting none the less.
I still dont see any conclusive proof here though so i dont know what to believe.Thats the problem no concrete evidense at all.
heres some other interesting vids
YouTube - Ufo - the best pictures
YouTube - Astronaut Buzz Aldrin Recounts Apollo 11 UFO Encounter
YouTube - UFO - The Greatest Story Ever Denied, Disclosure Project
Any "believers out there"

Heres one of an actual alien now this one i definately beleve is genuine
YouTube - Real Alien Footage!!!OMG!!!
Old 14 March 2007, 10:44 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Well they appear to be flying and they aren't easy to identify, but I don't think constitutes evidence of anything out of the ordinary, just that we can't identify it from the grainey long distance video footage.
Old 14 March 2007, 10:47 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Hi all , browsing on youtube today looking at the vast number of ufo footage on there and it got me thinking.Do they exist? is there intelligent life out there?
tbh mate, I doubt you're going to find any concrete answers on a car forum.
astraboy.
Old 14 March 2007, 10:49 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Not looking for concrete evidence just wondering what other people's thoughts were
Old 14 March 2007, 11:05 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

I think it's naive not to imagine that there is life out there somewhere - there are millions of stars, each of which have their own planets and one of them is bound to support life.

As to whether they are commutable though is another matter
Old 14 March 2007, 11:08 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

I remember driving along an empty motorway at 3am and seeing what at first I thought was a shooting star whizzing across the sky, then it suddenly changed direction 3 times at high speed.. to this day I don't know what it was, so I keep an open mind on the subject
Old 15 March 2007, 12:11 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I doubt they are from anywhere further than our planet. Most probably military aircrafts, makes sense with all the money they through into research in weapons and crafts etc.

Remember reading up about Russian scientists developing technology related to ufo crafts - try googling for that.
Old 15 March 2007, 08:32 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

YouTube - Pilot UFO sightings

Very interesting viewing as well !!!
Old 15 March 2007, 01:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have seen two incidents while flying. The first was at night at medium height with my flying instructor in Canada on a clear night when we saw a lighted object at a distance travelling very fast and changing direction instantly by 90 degrees with no radius of turn. We went back to base and landed quickly! It was never explained.

The second time I was returning to Germany in a Canberra at high level at night and my Navigator and I saw a bright inverted saucer some distance ahead. We were both convinced it was something out of this world. We later realised that is was, and in fact was the moon just poking a little bit above a layer of flat topped cirro- stratus cloud. That was just as we were about to turn around and go the other way! We did not discuss that when we got back to base

Les
Old 15 March 2007, 01:36 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
I remember driving along an empty motorway at 3am and seeing what at first I thought was a shooting star whizzing across the sky, then it suddenly changed direction 3 times at high speed.. to this day I don't know what it was, so I keep an open mind on the subject
You were actually looking at a hill and it was a standard UK WRX on toyo's in the twisties - the light you saw was PIAA's! Pretty quick aren't they
Old 15 March 2007, 01:38 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I would be amazed if there isn't intelligent life out there somewhere, however, the distances involved pretty much rule out a face to face encounter. We're much more likely to find something via the radio wave noise being emitted from another civilisation IMO and the likes of SETI are probably where such a break through would be discovered.
Old 15 March 2007, 01:45 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The distances are so great that by the time we detect anything (even at the speed of light) the civilisation in question would've already been extinct for a 100 million years.....

So its more a case of... "look what was there"

Last edited by DCI Gene Hunt; 15 March 2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 15 March 2007, 01:51 PM
Haywood_Jablome
Scooby Regular

Why is there never any perfectly clear footage like you would get at an airshow ?
Old 15 March 2007, 01:53 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I personally think that its virtually impossible for life NOT to have formed elsewhere. I expect there are many, many, many civilisations in various states of development and no doubt intergalactic wars taking place in a galaxy far, far away (joking apart, I'm being serious).

I also believe we are being quite narrow minded about the whole speed of light thing. We once though going faster than the speed of sound was impossible and until recently we had passenger planes that would do it with ease! I'm sure other civilisations will have cracked that barrier and then some!!!
Old 15 March 2007, 01:58 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I personally think that its virtually impossible for life NOT to have formed elsewhere. I expect there are many, many, many civilisations in various states of development and no doubt intergalactic wars taking place in a galaxy far, far away (joking apart, I'm being serious).

I also believe we are being quite narrow minded about the whole speed of light thing. We once though going faster than the speed of sound was impossible and until recently we had passenger planes that would do it with ease! I'm sure other civilisations will have cracked that barrier and then some!!!
There are no speeds greater than light, but that's not saying you cannot travel between two points in space quicker than the speed of light! but its the methods we currently use to search for life that are limited to the speed of light.....

Let's not start the whole bending space thread again
Old 15 March 2007, 02:44 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Whether theres other life out there is not the point. The point is that if aliens had been flying around in our atmosphere someone would know about it. And they wouldn't bother coming to Earth without saying hello. Anyone who really believes that aliens have come here have got to be crazy?!
Old 15 March 2007, 02:49 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

maybe they're looking for humpback whales
Old 15 March 2007, 03:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

There are Hundreds of Billions of Stars in our Galaxy. If you said on average, there were 3 planets per Star, that is a hell of a lot of chances for life.

Then if you think there are Billions of other Galaxy's x Stars x Planets. We can't be the only living planet.

The problem is though, is that there could very well be a real Star Wars or StarTrek going on else where, but unfortunately even at the speed of light it would take thousands of years to get from one side of our Galaxy to the other (we are positioned near the outer edge). Now if it takes that long to cross our Galaxy, just imagine how long it would take to get from one Galaxy to the other.

I have no doubt that we are not alone, but it's just pure distance between us and them that could mean we may never see an Alien.
Old 15 March 2007, 03:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have to agree there are a few things zipping around the air that cannot be identified, hence the proper use of the term UFO.

Visitors from another planet, well, I'd like to think, given the scale of the universe that there has to be life on other planets, wether it's single cell life forms or humanoid type life, or other such forms, well, it's possible. We haven't really trully explored any of the planets in our little corner of the universe yet.

Government cover-ups and MIB's? Well it's possible, as many SF stuff points out, as a collective, humans tend to b a little freaked out by major change on a global level, so learning there are little grey chaps and they have been here for some time could make the general populace go "tilt". Maybe it'd make us realize we're not alone and all get along together, but I really cannot see it, not unless the visitors put a bit of pressure on us, ala The Day The Earth Stood Still

As for travelling to other planets, well, I think our current knowledge is limited to how physics' works on this planet. On other planets some things might work differently. I think I'm correct in saying that zero gravity does make a difference to some things, can't recall what though. Thus it's possibly that on Mars, or even the moon, some physics principles we hold dear might not hold up.

We don't possess the abilty to travel at the kind of speeds needed to effectively travel between planets and other solar systems, but whose to say there aren't beings who have been around for aeons longer than us who do have such capabilities.
Old 15 March 2007, 03:18 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
As for travelling to other planets, well, I think our current knowledge is limited to how physics' works on this planet. On other planets some things might work differently. I think I'm correct in saying that zero gravity does make a difference to some things, can't recall what though. Thus it's possibly that on Mars, or even the moon, some physics principles we hold dear might not hold up.
The Physics works just fine on other planets, variables such as "g" of course have different values, but the under pinning theories / laws still aply.
Old 15 March 2007, 03:18 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

chances of ET life are pretty slim when you factor in time too.

the 4-500 million years life has been around is a small time slot in the grand scheme of things.

factor in life sustaining planets too in the local vicinity.

factor in that earth is a dump and we'll kill anything that comes near us... in the name of science

pretty minimal chances of seeing anything really.
Old 15 March 2007, 03:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

wasnt there a thread and/or piccy on here showing comparison to the size of planets in our solar system. bit sketchy but i remember it being like the earth compared to another planet and that planet compared to something else and so on, with the perspectives getting larger and larger. anyone got a link to it...

andy
Old 15 March 2007, 03:29 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
There are Hundreds of Billions of Stars in our Galaxy. If you said on average, there were 3 planets per Star, that is a hell of a lot of chances for life.
But there isn't.

In order for life to evolve, life as we know it anyway, there has to be certain criteria.

The planet has to be right distance from the Star (sun) If we were a few light minutes either side of where we are, life wouldn't have got off the ground.

The planet has to have a molten core

The star has to be the right kind of star

Its quite possible the planet has to have another planet the size of Jupiter and saturn in its system to act as shield against asteroids and comets. Similarly it may have to have a moon for the same reason.

Thats just scrathing the surface, there are millions of variables that all have to be exactly right for life to exist. Just saying "there are billions of planets therefore there must be life" doesn;t work.

In all likelyhood, in the infinity of space, there are other planets than can support life, but the number of them is probably far, far less than you would imagine.
Old 15 March 2007, 03:31 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude

the 4-500 million years life has been around is a small time slot in the grand scheme of things.
That we know of. Not all planets were created at the same time.

The Dinosaurs were roaming around here 300 Million years ago. Now if man had existed back then, and the earth wasn't hit by a meteor, that would mean man had been around for 300 Million years +. Just think of where our technology would be now. Look at how far we've advanced the last 100 years.

So if ET has been around for 300 Million years it is very conceivable to think they would have the technology to travel through space. As I said before, it's probably the shear distance between them and us that stops them coming here.

Plus for them to come here, they have to know we exist. If you think about it, how on earth would they know we were here? All those stars, all those Planets. It would be like finding a needle in a haystack.
Old 15 March 2007, 03:33 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
wasnt there a thread and/or piccy on here showing comparison to the size of planets in our solar system. bit sketchy but i remember it being like the earth compared to another planet and that planet compared to something else and so on, with the perspectives getting larger and larger. anyone got a link to it...

andy
Its impossible to accurately draw the solar system with relative distances/sizes on a computer screen. You would need a mammoth monitor. For example, If you represented the Earth with a pea, then jupiter would be a tennis ball 10 metres away.

Of course you could show a planet on top of the other to give you the scale.
Old 15 March 2007, 03:38 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
But there isn't.

In order for life to evolve, life as we know it anyway, there has to be certain criteria.
We assume that because that is all we know.

We don't know that life couldn't exist in different situations.

All I was saying is that out of all the Hundreds of Billion of Stars that have Planets surrounding them, there is a chance for life. After all we base our fact on what we know, which is virtually nothing.

A Galaxy 300 Trillion light years away could be full of life, but we'll never ever know.
Old 15 March 2007, 03:40 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

A Galaxy 300 Trillion light years away could be full of life, but we'll never ever know.
Agreed
Old 15 March 2007, 03:41 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Its impossible to accurately draw the solar system with relative distances/sizes on a computer screen. You would need a mammoth monitor. For example, If you represented the Earth with a pea, then jupiter would be a tennis ball 10 metres away.

Of course you could show a planet on top of the other to give you the scale.
it wasnt necessairly compring the distances apart. what i meant was a comparison side by side of differing sizes. i remember it starting off as earth, then earth compred to a bigger planet, then the bigger planet compared to the sun or something, then so on and so on. earth ended up being smaller than a pixel a couple through. gives you an appreciation on sheer size in comparison. thats what i meant. piccy floating about on here somewhere.

andy
Old 15 March 2007, 03:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

where else would pslewis and auidilover come from??

Quick Reply: u.f.o's