Speed camera research 'axed'

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2007, 04:11 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed camera research 'axed'

Speed camera research 'axed' - News - AOL Motoring

The Government cancelled research into the effect speed cameras were having on accident rates and driver behaviour, a request under the Freedom of Information Act has revealed.
The move by the Department for Transport (DfT) was described as "astonishing and grossly irresponsible" by anti-speed camera group Safe Speed.
The DfT said in its reply under the Act that its original research was replaced by research looking at the wider effects of cameras.
But Safe Speed, which believes cameras are having no effect on casualty rates, said the original research was dropped because the DfT was "scared about the likely results".

It was a Safe Speed member who organised the anti-road charging petition which attracted 1.8 million signatures on a Downing Street website recently.
Safe Speed has published its own report on the "side effects" of speed cameras, pointing out that neither road deaths nor the number of people taken to hospital after crashes had fallen as expected since the introduction of speed cameras.
Safe Speed founder Paul Smith said: "Our analysis is clear and confident and takes proper account of all known science, statistics and systematic analysis. Our confident conclusion is that speed cameras are making road safety much worse and must be scrapped immediately.
"It is astonishing and grossly irresponsible that the DfT has cancelled their important 'side effects' research. I can only imagine that they were scared about the likely results and would rather save face than save lives.
"I would love to see a DfT point-by-point response to our new report but of course they cannot properly respond because they have cancelled their research."
Old 14 March 2007, 05:32 PM
Scoobydid
Scooby Regular

Yes but they need a new way to raise money now that they are stopping people smoking and losing revenue from that.

If they went ahead they would just be spending money on something they were going to sweep under the carpet and ignor anyway.
Old 16 March 2007, 11:35 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Must say I'm shocked at the lack of concern here - are we all lying with our bellies facing the sun? Have we all given up & rolled over? Pass the soap

Does no one find this collapse of a search for a corobaration of the good they do us an outrageous turn and vindicative of the contempt some feel for the road 'safety' priorities and spin we are fed? These that 'know better' have now seemingly fed their coffers & pensions and now decline to pursue the drive for any open results for all to see...

I feel even angrier when sat behind a poster on the back end of a bus [no doubt with a picture of a pram on it] warning us of the sheer chaos that doing 80 mph on a quiet motorway could mean This all whilst being told eating a sandwich/being on a phone/picking your nose/changing a CD makes you a massive 4 times more likely to have a smash... So, I have just fed Safe Speed some cash instead rather than just rant here - at least they genuinely care about road safety and making it better out there.

Sign this if you agree We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to scrap speed cameras.

If you REALLY agree then read this site and give the logical, reasoned campaigner a couple of quid Welcome to Safe Speed

Take a leaf out of David & Goliath's book as the BS walls of Jericho are tumbling

D
Old 16 March 2007, 11:46 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done
Old 17 March 2007, 12:04 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Nice one, but the words wind and pi$$ing in come to mind! O well, we did something!
Old 17 March 2007, 01:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Did you ever think that NL would allow such research if it threatened their success in milking the cash cow which is the motorist?

Its easy, just change the law or the regulations or the actions to suit themselves, sod the rest of us!

Les
Old 17 March 2007, 02:51 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I head about this from Piston Heads. It really sucks, but its no surprise that they bury information that they don't want to hear.

We know the current anti-motorist policies suck, but what we really need is a political part that has the ***** to stand up and say they are going to scrap them. Politicians are just too scared to stand up against the green lobby at the moment.
Old 18 March 2007, 11:53 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Guess this all goes hand in hand with the effective repealing of the Freedom of Information act. We are turning into Burma slowly I tell thee!
Old 18 March 2007, 12:43 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

The effective repealing of the Freedom of Information Act? I was right: ignorance really is strength!
Old 18 March 2007, 12:51 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Minitrue
The effective repealing of the Freedom of Information Act? I was right: ignorance really is strength!
Well, Orwell was

With the way things are going, we're going to have to start employing double think soon to cope with all the lies and rubbish the government put out...

Hand me a bottle of Victory Gin, someone!
Old 18 March 2007, 01:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Well, Orwell was

With the way things are going, we're going to have to start employing double think soon to cope with all the lies and rubbish the government put out...

Hand me a bottle of Victory Gin, someone!
They have beaten you to it Henrik!

Les