Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Vegetarians

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2007, 04:15 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vegetarians

Ok hi all, im not a vegie but its starting to play on my mind quite alot recently, I love eating meat but when i eat it now i cant stop thinkng where it came from.All those poor animals, millions of em being mass farmed in order to supply us with our meaty needs

Now if they had a good life first and where killed humanely(sp) then i wouldnt have such a problem with it.Neither do i have a problem with those country folk who "catch" their dinner to eat like pheasants and rabbits etc - living off the land! fair enough been done since man evolved.Or how about our egg supply - chickens by the millions being couped up with nowhwere to run etc .Even calf's killed for their tender meat and our country isnt the worst either , just take a look at Japan for instance or norway.Killing whales and dolphins etc . Poor whales who been roaming the sea's for years and years harmlessly eating plankton all there lives, only to be speargunned by the nips so they can have their wale soup or whatever they do with it

I need to find the strength of mind to stop eating meat man it will be difficult but im sure gonna try.My wife is a veggie so that will make things easier i think.Remember animals have feelings too they know more than alot of people think and i dispare at myself sometimes for being part of the selfish attitude we have about eating animals

Any veggies here ? any thoughts on this?
Old 13 March 2007, 04:17 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

Matt - is this post for real?
Old 13 March 2007, 04:19 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Sure is mate why not?
Old 13 March 2007, 04:22 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I say you should go the whole Linda McCartney Quorn hog and become Vegan, or even better fruitarian.

Personally I ****ing love meat, me. No way am I giving it up. Besides, if you get good quality produce, it will have been well looked after. Up until it got a bolt through the head, or 50,000,000 volts up its **** anyway.
Old 13 March 2007, 04:24 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong man i love meat too but nowadays i eat it with a guilty concience(sp) any veggies on here who thought the same and thought "right thats it no more meat" ?
Old 13 March 2007, 04:26 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Just wondeing, sounds a but too touchy-feeley in touch with your feminine side to me
Ok then,

My other half is veggie, eats fish.

She stopped because she stopped liking th taste of meat and has a problem with how animals are treated.

The way i look at it is:
I like the taste of meat althogh i do eat veggie specific meals sometimes.
I do not like to see animals mistreated, i only buy organic/farm grown/reared good quality meats from our butcher. Not jusyt for the quality of the meat but because the way the animal are treated is better IMHO. It cost more - i am prepared to pay the extra.
I do not buy cheap nasty stuff from supermarkets, freezer shops or such like.

If you are having a probelm with your conceince then either give meat up or find a solution that eases the situation.
Old 13 March 2007, 04:31 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Veggie food can be boring though hehe although some of it is delicious.
Paul Yes i do the same as you already, buying from butchers, free range eggs etc.But i suppose i cant harp on about it can i if im still eating meat, like you say eather give meat up or clear my concience
Old 13 March 2007, 04:39 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

I'd rather die than give up the opportunity to have a nice kebab or steak or any number of gorgeous fish dishes............the animals are going to be killed regardless of your best moral intentions. As with many things its a choice, if you think you are going to make a difference, then its very unlikely you will
Old 13 March 2007, 05:07 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I don't wory about how the animals are treated, harsh? Maybe.

It's as nature intended though, circle of life and all that stuff, alright I agree nature didn't invent battery farms etc, but unfortunately society has grown to the point where the planet is just not big enough for everyone to rear their own animals for meat etc.
The demand is such that these things are probably neccecery, I don't eat at Mcdonalds etc but that's more personal choice than anything, meat all the way for me!
Old 13 March 2007, 05:26 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

im not a veggie but i like veggie burgers and sausages with chips and stuff i dont like steak but i like sausages and burgers and kebabs lol you have to make it exciting really i guess
Old 13 March 2007, 05:29 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

In fairnes i like the odd curry, chinese, etc and do not know how or where their food is killed or looked after, it is a compromise i suppose and one i can live with.
Old 13 March 2007, 05:37 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm far from veggie but I have a veggie curry house near work with a £6 eat as much as you can lunchtime buffet which is rude not to patronise every once in a while

Roasted peppers, garlic & red onions with balsamic vinegar over pasta is really nice too
Old 13 March 2007, 05:53 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to give up meat because you don't like to see the animals being mistreated in life, then you should really become a vegan as milk/egg production isn't exactly ethical either.
Old 13 March 2007, 07:27 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i'm a veggie have been for about 27 years.as a kid meat/fish made me sick. so after going to hospital and seeing god knows how many doctors and dieticians. i've been told i'm just allergic to something in meat and fish
so i've no idea what a mac D burger tastes like or kabbabs.but i love the smell of bacon
i have no problem with animals being killed for food if done humanely.i also use to build/service the lorrys and trailers that cart the feed for animals to be fatten up on.and the trailers that cart the cattle to abattoirs and meat out.i've been to a few not nice places
Old 13 March 2007, 08:22 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

So why is fish okay? Dragged out of the ocean in huge nets and left to suffocate to death. Lovely.

And has been said, milk and egg production is hardly a nice cuddly affair.

Most veggies need to examine their true motivation

Richard.
Old 13 March 2007, 08:47 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Fish have lived a natural life in their natural habitat, up until their last minutes - that is the difference.

I think there would be a big market for some kind of 'super free range' dairy products where the animals welfare would be paramount and cost not considered.

The huge inefficiency of meat is something I think about, as well as the environmental impact. I bet your meat footprint has a much greater influence on the environment than your carbon footprint!
Old 13 March 2007, 08:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Hoppy

Most veggies need to examine their true motivation

Richard.
Can you explain what that means and what you motivation is behind the comment?
Old 13 March 2007, 08:59 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I don't eat meat because for me personally I think there are healthier and more nutritious foods to eat. I do eat fish, indeed I catch them and kill them sometimes. Nothing as good as freshly caught albacore, snapper or bass.

Mostly I am vegetarian and I am certainly healthier because of it. Your mileage may vary of course.

And strangely, unlike urban legend, bacon does not tempt me at all. I did have some at Christmas and I thought it was disgusting.

Rannoch

Last edited by Trout; 13 March 2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 13 March 2007, 09:15 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Vegetarians dont eat fish! if the only meat you eat is fish you cant call yourself a veggie
Old 13 March 2007, 09:23 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

a veggie that eat fish is call a lactoVegetarian i think
Old 13 March 2007, 09:39 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Cows are made of meat for a reason

Mmmmmm, steak
Old 13 March 2007, 09:40 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

A lactovegetarian will eat dairy products and eggs

A pescatarian will eat anything except mammalian meat

A vegetarian will only eat vegetable produce

A vegan is a strict vegetarian (no animal produce at all)

A macrobiotic focuses on natural, local foods, typically vegetarian

And for the record I didn't say I was a vegetarian, I said mostly vegetarian and some fish.
Old 13 March 2007, 09:45 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

i stand corrected
Old 13 March 2007, 09:52 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Mostly I am vegetarian and I am certainly healthier because of it.
What's unhealthy about a regular, balanced diet with good cuts of meat in??
Old 13 March 2007, 09:58 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

I've been a fish eating (not very often) veggie for 23 years and don't miss meat at all. There are so many non-meat items of food available today, the choice is great. What I don't miss are the bits of gristle that I used to find in sausages and the elastic fatty part of a bacon sandwich. I've even got a few meat eating mates who actually prefer veggie sausages now to the ground up **** of a cow beef alternative.

I've got nothing at all against folks eating meat but I really do hate the way animals are factory farmed to produce it.
Old 13 March 2007, 10:16 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

I was making a somewhat rash generalisation, which I should have made clear.

All of the vegitarians that I know do not eat meat on grounds of cuddly sentimentality. Which is fair enough if that's how you see it, but they choose to ignore any suffering in the production of fish, eggs and milk.

Their thinking is either incomplete or hypocritical. I accept that this does not apply to all non-meat eaters.

Richard.
Old 13 March 2007, 10:24 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Fish have lived a natural life in their natural habitat, up until their last minutes - that is the difference.
Heard of fish farms? Not exactly natural habitat. Most cows, sheep and pigs live in fields, their natural habitat. Regardless, I see the point you are trying to make but it's not all black and white.

How many pigs, cows etc. have been alive over the years, if we were all vegetarians then they would have never lived in the 1st place.
Old 13 March 2007, 11:39 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Ever since that recent thread with that awful PETA video on it about that hell on earth scenario in an abbatoir I have been enjoying my meat less.

Whilst I ensure that what we as a family eat has been reared as naturally and compassionately as I can, I have no control at restaurants/curry houses/Marriott breakfast buffets etc - they generally buy the cheapest meat they can get away with, and it wont have had a pretty life... Most people buy Danish or mass produced and horribly processed bacon after all, without a care for the inhumane conditions those poor sows have been kept in.

So the only real answer iif you dont want something's throat slit in order to satisfy your peckishness by then eating its back/leg/intestine/rump is to turn your back on it all... I'm not there yet [and doubt I ever will be] but the kids get Quorn burgers [as opposed to Mathews' reformed srappy Twilight Turkey Twizzlers] and I make as much of an effort as I can to buy only compassionately reared stuff [Google Happy Meat!].

I was sucessfully veggie for 10 days in India recently [well the chicken was rubbish!] but its's all a bit hypocritical and weak really - hence Matt's post I guess. Always thought of it as 'God's gag' - give carnivores compassion...

Any conclusions/encouragement Matt?

D
Old 13 March 2007, 11:44 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
How many pigs, cows etc. have been alive over the years, if we were all vegetarians then they would have never lived in the 1st place.
For me that's not the point - the point is how we treat them [and ultimately those that consume them]. Give the animal an awful life indoors where they are permanently on concrete and cant even turn around cos their pen is so small; then stuff them full of hormones and antibiotics and call it Danmishhhhh whilst palming it off on the sodium poly triphosphated up public who mostly dont know any better... Not very good all 'round really - and that is just the tip of the iceberg...

D
Old 14 March 2007, 09:12 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
For me that's not the point - the point is how we treat them [and ultimately those that consume them]. Give the animal an awful life indoors where they are permanently on concrete and cant even turn around cos their pen is so small; then stuff them full of hormones and antibiotics and call it Danmishhhhh whilst palming it off on the sodium poly triphosphated up public who mostly dont know any better... Not very good all 'round really - and that is just the tip of the iceberg...

D
...and somebody asked why I thought that meat might not be the healthiest choice

Quick Reply: Vegetarians