Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Law and Order - what would YOU do?

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2007, 12:49 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Law and Order - what would YOU do?

In a week where we have had a few theads on Law and Order - 101 year old lady being mugged and ID cards for example, if you could change some laws in some way, what would you change and how would you implemnet them? For example if you said build more prisons - how would you pay for it?

Serious suggestions would be more helpful than the "lock em up and throw away the key" variety.
Old 13 March 2007, 01:02 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

My Take on this.

Simply put
We have criminals who do not ear the consequences of their crimes.
for whatever reasons, drugs and needing to feed a habit, illegal’s with different values and morals to ours, native scumbags who wil never work a day in their lives as they can take what they want
Lack of respect and values in this country - for some

Police and enforcement costs money so in the long term this could be reduced with less crime
We need to invest in more prisons to hold more offenders in the short term
We need to suitable punish by locking up offenders for realistic prison terms with time added on for bad behaviour.
No drugs in jails forcible cold turkey if prisoners forced off of drugs with minimum sentences of 2+ years so they stay clean for a decent while before being released back. Releasing an addict after six month does not work!
Prison not to be a doddle, prisons have to work to and offered training.
support when they leave prison to help get back into society - backed up with serious penalties for those that re-offend and go back into old ways.

I would like to see a bit more stick and a lot less carrot
Old 13 March 2007, 01:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The £2 BILLION a year that Iraq and Afghanistan are costing us, would go a LONG way to building prisons and putting more coppers on the streets........

Alcazar
Old 13 March 2007, 01:09 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

thanks Paul - what about the non custodial sentences? Good or bad? When are they appropriate?
Old 13 March 2007, 01:14 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I would make sure that crime doesnt pay. We have more motorists locked up than burglars let some of them out and make way for criminals we allow to roam the streets. As some one else mentioned there is no fear for law breakers. Make jail tougher, deport foreign criminals, they seem to be running all the drugs prostitution etc. sod their human rights they dont consider others rights so they should forfeit theirs. Like Tony said once 'be tough on crime' (yawn).
Old 13 March 2007, 01:18 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
thanks Paul - what about the non custodial sentences? Good or bad? When are they appropriate?
Depends on the crime, prison is not just about the offender, justicie has to be seen to be done by all. it may work for smoe but i would thnk that this is a one off only, do anything again and expect prison with the equivilant time added on from the non custodial.

We have to invest money which shoyuld be savd in the long run with the decrease in crime and the asociated costs.

The UK must not be seen as a soft touh by international criminals of all levels.

We need to stop the drugs and guns coming in.

We need to stop undesirables coming in, we have enough home grown scumbags to be getting on with.

We need to punish and rehabilitate criminals or leave them in jail

Stick, not carrot for those who need it.
Old 13 March 2007, 01:29 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
I would make sure that crime doesnt pay. We have more motorists locked up than burglars let some of them out and make way for criminals we allow to roam the streets.
Interesting fact - do you have a source for that?
Old 13 March 2007, 01:30 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
We need to stop the drugs and guns coming in.
No arguement for legalising both then?
Old 13 March 2007, 01:31 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I would changing the planning laws dramatically and free up green belt sites and allow the building of decent housing. This would make bugger all difference to the overall amount of greenfield space in the country as a whole but greatly reduce the ridiculous cost of houses and folk would actually be able to enjoy life instead of living in some jerry built dump next to the railway line in a place they can't afford. dl
Old 13 March 2007, 01:32 PM
Quatto
Scooby Regular

Here's an idea: Get our prisoners to build new prisons! Slave labour, and hopefully work some of them to death too LOL
Old 13 March 2007, 01:40 PM
Puppetmaster
Scooby Regular

More Prisons
Turfing out foreign criminals
Chaingangs
Prisons shouldn't pander to the criminal and their 'human rights' - as far as I am concerned, as soon as you break the law of the land, you void your human rights.
Sentences to fit the crime: especially in the case of rape, murder, (violent) robbery, A/G BH. I'm missing stuff off that small list, but those irk me the most.

More should be done for victim and not the criminal.

I'd say bring back National Service to see if that can teach some respect and what not.
Old 13 March 2007, 01:47 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Gulags.

Make the prisoners work on building a better nation. Let them them work on building new prisons/hospitals/police stations. Give them minimum food and water work them 14 hours a day and teach them basic trades while they are in there. Paedophiles should be kept in dormitory cells with violent offernders and have no special treatment.
Old 13 March 2007, 01:49 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have that Lord Levy jailed. What happened to 3 strikes and out?
Old 13 March 2007, 01:50 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
No arguement for legalising both then?
I have not sen any evidence to suggest legalising drugs will work.

Not sure i want crack or methamphetimine legalised, where do you draw the line?

Guns, legal licenced ownership by responsible people as we had before for sporting gus, not fully auto UZi's and Ingram M10's, etc. Guns should never have be banned anyway. The BVan has not had a positive impact on gun crime in the UK, there is more now than ever.

Human life sems to have little value these days

The guns are in the wrong hands!
Old 13 March 2007, 01:50 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Seriously, anyone seen Outlaw ?

Old 13 March 2007, 02:00 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Respect for each other needs to br brought back big time. Time to revive support for marriage - in the sense of two heteosexual adults of opposite sex! Allow parents to disicpline their kids, and allow schools to do likewise. That would nip a lot of problems in the bud.

As for crims - send them to prison for the term they were sentanced to - with time added on for transgression of the rules - NO time off for good behaviour as this is *expected* - of prisoners AND society in general.
More police on the street. The job of the police to be be crime prevention and catching crims - ONLY!
ALL illegals and failed asylum seekers to be turfed out immediately. NO money etc for them to go.
Zero tolerance of the type they had in NY.
Welfare benefits to last for a short period only - then you're on your own. Together with no foreigners allowed to work unless they meet stringent requirements - that includes EU members! That way we get Brits back to work and , hopefully, causing less crime.

etc etc

Dave

Some good, vaild points.
Old 13 March 2007, 02:01 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

- proactively enforce the law rather than passively react to offences. that means feet on the street and streamlined processes to maximise the time officers are on the beat. leave social work to the social workers.

- punish offenders, protect the public, assist victims. that means recinding the 1999 human rights bill in its entirety and absolutely protecting the primacy of domestic parliamentary decisions on law & order.

- make the head and deputy of every police constabulary responsible to their local electorate. if they fail, they lose their jobs until someone is found who can execute the law to local society's satisfaction.

- you could fit the entire prison population of the UK into twickenham stadium. it isn't rocket science: deterrence works. build more prisons and make incarceration a spartan, undesirable end result of criminal behaviour. but by the same token, rehabilitate: educate the illiterate and skill the unskilled.

- publish ALL crime statistics, without censorship or manipulation, to a nationally agreed statistical model that is transparent and open.

that'll do for a start. our law and order processes are currently FUBAR.
Old 13 March 2007, 02:13 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Respect for each other needs to br brought back big time. Time to revive support for marriage - in the sense of two heteosexual adults of opposite sex! Allow parents to disicpline their kids, and allow schools to do likewise. That would nip a lot of problems in the bud.
And how would you implement that though? Tell people how to behave? Isnt that what TB is doing at the moment? And isnt your reply "TB isnt going to tell me how to live!"?

As for crims - send them to prison for the term they were sentanced to - with time added on for transgression of the rules - NO time off for good behaviour as this is *expected* - of prisoners AND society in general.
More police on the street. The job of the police to be be crime prevention and catching crims - ONLY!
ALL illegals and failed asylum seekers to be turfed out immediately. NO money etc for them to go.
Zero tolerance of the type they had in NY.
Welfare benefits to last for a short period only - then you're on your own. Together with no foreigners allowed to work unless they meet stringent requirements - that includes EU members! That way we get Brits back to work and , hopefully, causing less crime.

etc etc

Dave

All good stuff thanks for that. I can see a pattern emerging here!
Old 13 March 2007, 02:20 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
I have not sen any evidence to suggest legalising drugs will work.

Not sure i want crack or methamphetimine legalised, where do you draw the line?

Guns, legal licenced ownership by responsible people as we had before for sporting gus, not fully auto UZi's and Ingram M10's, etc. Guns should never have be banned anyway. The BVan has not had a positive impact on gun crime in the UK, there is more now than ever.

Human life sems to have little value these days

The guns are in the wrong hands!
If guns are in the wrong hands, doesnt that mean by legalising them, they would then be in the right hands? (or at least redress the balance we have at the moment when criminals have guns and law abiding people have no protection)

As for the drugs can I recommend (without agreeing or disagreeing!) this article. It has to be born in mind that drugs like heroin have only really been illegal since the 1971 drugs act.