Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Moving from Oz to the UK

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2007, 09:24 AM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from Oz to the UK

Moved from London to Sydney 6mths ago and we were hoping to build a better future here. In reality this place is even harder than London. So we have decided to head back to the UK.

The main reason is...there are too many Scoobies here driven by right scums. No on a serious note, it's just another city and is as expensive as hell.
Old 08 March 2007, 09:53 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

So the grass isn't greener then? I think if I moved to Oz I'd move somewhere other than the big cities.
Old 08 March 2007, 09:57 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

NZ of no interest? Don't know it myself but a pal went over there in January and was very excited about the opportunities. FWIW he plans to open a Garden Centre. dl
Old 08 March 2007, 10:00 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Would it not be worth checking out other parst of OZ first i.e. Melbourne, Brisbane
Old 08 March 2007, 10:05 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

yep a lot come back and dont tell you
you hit the nail on the head

try Removals UK International Removals House Removals - Migrate Global
Old 08 March 2007, 10:11 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

I imagine you might be finding Australia as hot as Hades at the moment .... and full of Australians.

As suggested above, why not make a sidetrip to NZ to see what this clean, green land can offer - it's a lot more 'english' climate-wise and unless you want to live in Auckland a lot less crowded than Sydney .... or the UK

It's only about 500 dollars return fare to Sydney so it might be worthwhile looking.

However, no matter where you go if you (or partner) are missing family and/or friends then the UK is the place to be ...
Old 08 March 2007, 10:17 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Can we make this a sticky for all the doom and gloomers!
Old 08 March 2007, 10:24 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

@ Matt
Old 08 March 2007, 10:29 AM
Angels City Monger
Scooby Regular

I employ a Aussie bar manager (papasan) He tells me that work isnt easy to find at all in Sydney. He now earns peanuts but gets to dive often and can study .
Old 08 March 2007, 10:43 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

yeah stick it out mate, its easy to be dis-spirited as the home sickness kicks in. As said - try another area, and remember why you left in the first place!
Old 08 March 2007, 10:47 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Sydney has always been very expensive and a not particularly nice city. It's all fur coat and no knickers.

I used hate even going up for a weekend. Melbourne (lived for 8 years and NZ are totally different.)

But to put things in perspective, a mate has just got a new IT contract at $1200 per day - so they aren't exactly paying low rates for skilled jobs.

No place could be as hard as London. It is an absolute ****hole full of arseholes and scum. After 4 years here I have had a gutful.
Old 08 March 2007, 12:29 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

No place could be as hard as London. It is an absolute ****hole full of arseholes and scum. After 4 years here I have had a gutful.
Old 08 March 2007, 12:48 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

As others have suggested you really should take a look at other places. Melbourne if you want UK-like changeable weather. Brizzy is very popular with Brits but Perth probably has the highest ratio of ex-pats. Perth ain't cheap though. The boom in resources in WA has made the sunset state very desirable. As a consequence house prices are high, rentals nigh on impossible to get. BUT... on the plus side Perth is a growing 'country town', nowhere near as full-on as Sydney.

I am kinda biased but WA is a beautiful state; wineries galore in the Swann Valley and Margaret River (and thereabouts), the beauty of the Pilbara and the Kimberley and some of the world's greatest beaches. If there's a minus it's the speed limits. If you've ever driven in WA you'll know what I mean.

Don't be in such a rush to return to the UK (family concerns, if any, notwithstanding).

As other others (huh?) have mentioned give the Land of the Long White Cloud a looksee.

Wanna know more about Perth and WA? Just ask

Mark
Old 08 March 2007, 02:46 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Blimey - 6 months and you are jacking it in. Would have said you need to do at leats a year if not 2 in any new place to truly settle....
Old 08 March 2007, 02:54 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Would advise you coming back to the UK for a couple of weeks , that would bring you back to your senses.
Must have taken you months or even years to get out there , as been said try somewhere else.

Why on earth anyone would want to come and live here ? and it will only get worse .
Old 08 March 2007, 07:20 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

I'm with markr1963, if you are going to Oz, I'd go to WA. Perth is beautiful and down south of Perth is fantastic.

I also love Melbourne, wouldn't bother me if I never went to Sydney again, it's just like any other big city with a bit of a postcard veneer...

Alex
Old 08 March 2007, 08:45 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Didnt really like Sydney when I was there, but loved Melbourne and Perth, they are both top cities. We got to know an Aussie family pretty well and they moved from Sydney to Perth as it was so much cheaper with a better lifestyle.

Adelaide is probably quite livable, didnt like it much as a tourist, perhaps it was because it rained and was fairly cool most of the time. You also get the V8's around the streets of Adelaide (last weekend in fact).

I agree with BigGT3Fan, south of perth is really really nice, felt a little bit English to me?!

I would move out to Oz tomorrow if I had the chance, but I doubt I would consider Sydney as a place for me to live long term.
Old 08 March 2007, 09:21 PM
OzzyWRX
Scooby Regular

Stick it out for at least a year, you're probably just home sick.
As others have suggested, visit the other cities...I've been in Melbourne for 7.5 years now and love it.
Though if you came over thinking that housing was cheap and wages were high...I can see why you might be finding it a bit hard.

Sydney's only nice if you're a millionaire, living on the harbour with a nice boat.
Old 08 March 2007, 10:07 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

My son and his partner moved to Sidney last June.................and love every single thing about it. They have no plans at all to move back to England.

They moved from London and didn't expect an easy ride...but are much more than content with what they've discovered in Oz. They have no regrets at all and plan to put 100% effort into staying there.

Just another angle
Old 09 March 2007, 11:42 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markr1963
As others have suggested you really should take a look at other places. Melbourne if you want UK-like changeable weather. Brizzy is very popular with Brits but Perth probably has the highest ratio of ex-pats. Perth ain't cheap though. The boom in resources in WA has made the sunset state very desirable. As a consequence house prices are high, rentals nigh on impossible to get. BUT... on the plus side Perth is a growing 'country town', nowhere near as full-on as Sydney.

I am kinda biased but WA is a beautiful state; wineries galore in the Swann Valley and Margaret River (and thereabouts), the beauty of the Pilbara and the Kimberley and some of the world's greatest beaches. If there's a minus it's the speed limits. If you've ever driven in WA you'll know what I mean.

Don't be in such a rush to return to the UK (family concerns, if any, notwithstanding).

Don't. You're almost making me home sick. I remember some good times hooning around on the Swan River banging over to Rotnest for the weekend and starting a Monday morning feeling like I'd been on holiday.

As other others (huh?) have mentioned give the Land of the Long White Cloud a looksee.

Wanna know more about Perth and WA? Just ask

Mark
Don't. You're almost making me homesick. I remember some good times hooning around on the Swan River banging over to Rotnest for the weekend and starting a Monday morning feeling like I'd been on holiday.

Perth is definitely the civilised part of Oz and although I've never understood the attraction of Sydney its mostly to do with a better projection of the city by the government.
Old 09 March 2007, 10:52 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

You may be wondering, why give up in 6 mths....well here goes.

1). The transport/commute to work is appalling here. The train network is really bad. There is an area called the Northern Beaches (Collaroy, Dee- why etc.) about 15 miles north of Sydney. Loads of Brits live there and the houses are $1m+. There is no train service and you can either drive in or catch the express bus. It takes nearly 1 hr to get into the city.

I commute by car and travel 13 miles....it takes me 1 hr 30 mins! The roads here are dreadful (sometimes they go back on themselves)!

2). The houses here aren't that good. The build quality for even the new houses in the UK are of a better standard than here. There also the general the idea of buying land and building your own house...... it some places that mean s one road can have 200 different styles of houses....it really looks like a mess in some cases and I've see houses that look like castles next to semi's!

3). Crime here happens. There are stabbings, muggings and murders. Drugs are a problem here especially ICE.

4). Education...the system is at least 1 year behind and believe it or not a slightly lower standard to the standards back home!

5.) Professional industries at least 10 years behind. I am an accountant and they don't recognise CIMA here. My friend has been asked to sit 2 Australian exams even though he has been qualified for 5 years now. My wife who is a quantity surveyor says that they don't recognise them here and it is very very male dominated here and old school in the approach of building designs. They have only recently implemented ecological ideas in building designs and material.

6.) Humour- The Australians that I've met have a very dry sense of humour and a conversation can end in a heart beat. Ask an Aussie what they've seen of their own country and you would be surprised if they've been to another city! Sport-what a bunge of *****. They went on about the Ashes, but when it came to the one days they crawled back into their shells. Go Socceroos, go ****.

Plus points....

The weather (we love the heat) and somewhat puts me off going to Melbourne or New Zealand. Melbourne I've heard can have 4 seasons in 1 day....no thanks.

Food - It is the best in the world, in terms of quality and value. Can't beat it.

errr thats it.

We are going to Brisbane in May and may make a trip to Perth, so we are still trying to keep the dream alive.....please wish us luck.

Jay
Old 09 March 2007, 11:25 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAJ27

1). The transport/commute to work is appalling here. The train network is really bad. There is an area called the Northern Beaches (Collaroy, Dee- why etc.) about 15 miles north of Sydney. Loads of Brits live there and the houses are $1m+. There is no train service and you can either drive in or catch the express bus. It takes nearly 1 hr to get into the city.

Well why did you move there in the first place. Do you research a bit better next time. Northern beaches have ALWAYS been hard and slow to get to. Like moving to greenwich and then complaining it takes yu a long time to drive to Kensington.

2). The houses here aren't that good. The build quality for even the new houses in the UK are of a better standard than here. There also the general the idea of buying land and building your own house...... it some places that mean s one road can have 200 different styles of houses....it really looks like a mess in some cases and I've see houses that look like castles next to semi's!

Personal taste, but hardly a reason to move back to the UK. this will be the same in the rest of Aus, NZ, Canada, US

3). Crime here happens. There are stabbings, muggings and murders. Drugs are a problem here especially ICE.

No kidding, but still lower than the UK and not as mindless. Drugs are a problem everywhere

4). Education...the system is at least 1 year behind and believe it or not a slightly lower standard to the standards back home!

Can't comment, but all the Aussie's in the UK are usually well respected and do an excellent job, whether they are lawyers, doctors etc. IMO better than many Brits

5.) Professional industries at least 10 years behind. I am an accountant and they don't recognise CIMA here. My friend has been asked to sit 2 Australian exams even though he has been qualified for 5 years now. My wife who is a quantity surveyor says that they don't recognise them here and it is very very male dominated here and old school in the approach of building designs. They have only recently implemented ecological ideas in building designs and material.

Different needs, different standards - no country will be the saem you have tio adapt. Again is it a reason to leave or not like a place?

6.) Humour- The Australians that I've met have a very dry sense of humour and a conversation can end in a heart beat. Ask an Aussie what they've seen of their own country and you would be surprised if they've been to another city! Sport-what a bunge of *****. They went on about the Ashes, but when it came to the one days they crawled back into their shells. Go Socceroos, go ****.

Yep, Aussies can be real arseholes when they lose, in a bit of a nasty way too, and many of them just don't get British humour.

Plus points....

The weather (we love the heat) and somewhat puts me off going to Melbourne or New Zealand. Melbourne I've heard can have 4 seasons in 1 day....no thanks.

Melbourne is often hotter than Sydney, by no means cold at all. A couple of degrees colder in winter. Sydney has a lot more humidity. Tomorrow is 33 in Mel, 25 in Syd.

Food - It is the best in the world, in terms of quality and value. Can't beat it.

And Melbourne totally destroys Sydney in this aspect too.

errr thats it.

We are going to Brisbane in May and may make a trip to Perth, so we are still trying to keep the dream alive.....please wish us luck.

Jay
Just sounds like you moved for the wrong reasons.
Old 09 March 2007, 11:48 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

BTW - from www.bom.gov.uk

Melbourne Average temp 2006 = 20.8
Rainfall = 438mm

Sydney Average temp = 22.0
Rainfall = 996mm

London Average temp = 11.3
Rainfall = 794mm

Melbourne weather really is very good, don't listen to other people.
Old 10 March 2007, 12:11 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI

i hear that all the time now mate, where u moved tae now

i hear yorkshire is very nice and brighton etc
Old 10 March 2007, 12:24 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
i hear that all the time now mate, where u moved tae now

i hear yorkshire is very nice and brighton etc
I'm moving down to Hove in 2 weeks, nice fresh air and better for my wife and son. London's not a good place to bring up kids.

I was pissed off when I wrote about London, a council worker moved my Scooter to repaint some lines and then I got 3 tickets because they just left it in a residents bay. Then someone nicked the £100 cover off it.

London is just full of people trying to rip you off and make a quick pound.

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 10 March 2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10 March 2007, 12:43 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

I'm moving down to Hove in 2 weeks, nice fresh air and better for my wife and son. London's not a good place to bring up kids.

I was pissed off when I wrote about London, a council worker moved my Scooter to repaint some lines and then I got 3 tickets because they just left it in a residents bay. Then someone nicked the £100 cover off it.

brb mate i will reply a bit later my baby just woke up lol
Old 10 March 2007, 01:45 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

nice one mate, i agree wae u aboot london, i hear alot of horror stories and i know a lady who told me in london people treat u like animals even in the hospital the rudeness etc and she moved tae scotland swears by the kindness of the doctors and hospitals etc and people smiling and saying hello, she told me in london know one has time tae show kindness

seems a sad place mate , im glad u r getting oot

thats sad that, u should have sent in a letter tae the council regarding the scooter and got the money back mate.

also thieves glasgow is full of them, i swear u just wanna kill them scum neds, their parasites

i hope u enjoy it in hove mate and your family, but the lil one will miss his pals at school poor soul
Old 10 March 2007, 02:06 AM
DJ Vinyl Ritchie
BANNED

I moved to Australia just so I could bonk the brains out of Sky Mangel in Neighbours

DJ Vinyl Ritchie............. I can't help being a philanderer
Old 10 March 2007, 03:55 AM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Just sounds like you moved for the wrong reasons.
Thanks for your advice, but my tastes are different than yours.
Old 13 March 2007, 03:21 AM
OzzyWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAJ27

I commute by car and travel 13 miles....it takes me 1 hr 30 mins! The roads here are dreadful (sometimes they go back on themselves)!

Plus points....

errr thats it.

Jay
If you wanted everything to be the same as you had it in the UK, why did you bother moving?

Quick Reply: Moving from Oz to the UK