Thought you got away with it?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2007, 04:11 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thought you got away with it?

Looks like they'll get you in the end.

I just wonder if they are planning on building an extra 900,000 prison spaces to deal with the people once they are caught?
Old 20 February 2007, 04:13 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a nightmare! And if your fingerprints come up from a crime 10 years ago, how can you defend yourself or remember an alibi?
Old 20 February 2007, 04:14 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

The figures are all wrong, the 900,000 means 900,000 marks/fingerprints, rather than 900,000 crimes.

Collar the lot of us! Blair adds whole UK to police suspect list | The Register
Old 20 February 2007, 04:17 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
The figures are all wrong, the 900,000 means 900,000 marks/fingerprints, rather than 900,000 crimes.

Collar the lot of us! Blair adds whole UK to police suspect list | The Register

Ahh, that makes it a lot clearer. Maybe I could get a job writing sensational headlines for the Daily Mail!

I guess as Clare said - WTF would you do if your prints came up at a crime scene that you had nothing to do with, from 15 years ago?
Old 20 February 2007, 04:18 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I should think him saying 900,000 unsolved crimes would put him in a very bad light instead of finger prints! Blimey, 900,000 unsolved crimes! The police have been hard at work haven't they?
Old 20 February 2007, 04:23 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Even so, there are still a fair few thousand/tens of thousands of crimes unsolved. Of course, putting everyone's biometric data onto a huge, poorly configured .gov database will catch them all.

The scary thing is, some people think like that, and they run the country
Old 20 February 2007, 04:24 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Good job the self-appointed 'stunningly clever' non victim posters on here are on hand to tell us that we are not being led by the nose into a police state, but are simply imagining the whole thing.

Trending Topics

Old 20 February 2007, 04:25 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

60 million people's biometric info.... Imagine the money you could make by targeted advertising! I bet grubby little Gordon is rubbing his sweaty hands together with glee at the thought of it!
Old 20 February 2007, 04:29 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

It's all very scary.
Old 20 February 2007, 04:35 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Fingerprint databases are all well and good provided the fingerprints are in the database, can you imagine the Kray twins or all the other gangsters and mobsters voluntarily walking in to have there dabs taken??

It was a bit like banning guns, that achieved alot didn't it??

Also what would happen if a glass I was drinking from in a pub was later used to smash over someones head? they would have my DNA and fingerprints on the weapon so how do I get out of that one????
Old 20 February 2007, 04:58 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Exactly. How would you get away with it? You'd be in fear of the police knocking on your door at any time!

What do they think of this in Germany Wurzel?
Old 20 February 2007, 05:07 PM
Reality
BANNED

Wasn't there a recent case in Scotland where a Police Officer had "her" print found at a crime scene - She was sacked - took the Finger print dept to court - Won - got paid £600k of Tax Payers Money and no doubt has now retired.

Maybe this is just another NL money laundering scheme
Old 20 February 2007, 05:20 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Considering the pain in the backside that the Regulation of Investagatory Powers Act is - it seems bizarre that Labour are now considering this.

I'm quite for the whole idea of a national identity database and the like, not because it is the answer to all crime, but because it will allow the police to potentially solve crimes and catch those responsible far quicker.

People continually criticise the police for not catching criminals.. at the same time complaining about a "police state" while, in reality, the government has done nothing but place legislation in the way of legitimate investigations and intelligence work.
Old 21 February 2007, 02:28 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Fingerprint databases are all well and good provided the fingerprints are in the database, can you imagine the Kray twins or all the other gangsters and mobsters voluntarily walking in to have there dabs taken???
People get the fingerprints taken after arrest

Also what would happen if a glass I was drinking from in a pub was later used to smash over someones head? they would have my DNA and fingerprints on the weapon so how do I get out of that one????
If it is a glass in a pub, then the fact that your prints/DNA is found on it will not prove anything as you can say you were drinking in the bar that night.
Old 21 February 2007, 02:38 PM
Reality
BANNED

ShirleyMcKie.com

Have a read of that if you think there's nothing to worry about with plod taking your prints

They couldn't organise a gang bang in a brothel
Old 21 February 2007, 03:01 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

ah right - 1 case

OK - we shall stop using fingerprint and DNA evidence then just in case. So next time Billy Burglar leaves his prints and blood all over your house, we won't attempt to retrieve them.
Old 21 February 2007, 03:07 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Nobody had disputed that fact, you missed the point.
Old 21 February 2007, 03:12 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

You could still be arrested and marched into the cop shop could you not, even though you are 100% innocent on the back of the dna and prints on a glass?

If it is a 'cold case' going back several years you probably wouldn't remember what you were doing on any given night, and with 'evidence' against you it would be up to the individual to prove otherwise. Also,the way things are going in this country it will be guilty 'til proven innocent.
Old 21 February 2007, 03:19 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Exactly. How would you get away with it? You'd be in fear of the police knocking on your door at any time!

What do they think of this in Germany Wurzel?
No idea Clare, I have not discussed it with anyone, I do however think the UK is being a bit heavy handed and narrow minded in its resolution towards resolving crime and terrorism. As I said how many baddies/thugs/suicide bombers etc are going to voluntarily participate? In principle a fingerprint/DNA database is a good idea but I have a feeling that it will be open to so much abuse by unscrupulous individuals.

Plus how can you question DNA and fingerprints found at a crime scene, "yes occifer I was there but no I didn't kill her", "oh well Steve thats ok we believe you!"

Also Felix just supposen for a minute that you don't get arrested then your dabs won't be taken, so not added to the database so there is still no chance of being caught so exactly how better off are we?

As for allowing the plod from other countries to access our DB that is just ludicrous bearing in mind that there are probably only half a dozen decent trustworthy countries in the EU, would you really trust a Spanish cop or justice system to treat you fairly??? I sure as hell don't! or maybe one of the Eastern block countries. I don't even trust the British police or justice system to treat me fairly! This whole thing smells fishy and I am not talking about the contents of Baldricks apple crumble!!!
Old 21 February 2007, 03:52 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by Felix.
ah right - 1 case

OK - we shall stop using fingerprint and DNA evidence then just in case. So next time Billy Burglar leaves his prints and blood all over your house, we won't attempt to retrieve them.
No - how about you let me kick the **** out of billy burglar when I find him in my house - will save us all a lot of time & money looking after him at our expense - assuming of course plonky plod don't **** up the evidence should they actually catch him etc.

If Plonky plod are willing to abuse the finger print system on one of their own just think what they'll try against joey public.
Old 21 February 2007, 03:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

ah right - 1 case

The last THREE times I had burglaries, car break-ins etc, your lot never even bothered to come, so don't talk crap!

Crime number, anyone? You ARE insured aren't you sir?

Alcazar
Old 21 February 2007, 04:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Also,the way things are going in this country it will be guilty 'til proven innocent.
Don't worry, scoobynutta: in many, many cases, it's already here

Alcazar
Old 21 February 2007, 05:13 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
It's all very scary.
NO IT ISN'T !

I am here to represent the Miinistry of Truth and I can assure you that Ignorance IS strength.

MoT

remember: Big Brother loves YOU
Old 21 February 2007, 05:17 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Don't panic Blair has just announced the new Toll Tax Tzar. A safe pair of hands to cut through the lies being bandied about...

Last edited by scoobynutta555; 21 February 2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 22 February 2007, 10:30 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
You could still be arrested and marched into the cop shop could you not, even though you are 100% innocent on the back of the dna and prints on a glass?

If it is a 'cold case' going back several years you probably wouldn't remember what you were doing on any given night, and with 'evidence' against you it would be up to the individual to prove otherwise. Also,the way things are going in this country it will be guilty 'til proven innocent.
No - if its a bar glass then your alibi is fool proof. They would't expect you to know exactly where you were several years. To pove a conviction or even a charge they will need more evidence
Old 22 February 2007, 10:32 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Minitrue
NO IT ISN'T !

I am here to represent the Miinistry of Truth and I can assure you that Ignorance IS strength.

MoT

remember: Big Brother loves YOU
Minitrue, I will not conform, throw me in Room 101, I don't care!
Old 22 February 2007, 10:38 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Plus how can you question DNA and fingerprints found at a crime scene, "yes occifer I was there but no I didn't kill her", "oh well Steve thats ok we believe you!"!!!
It has to go with other evidence - i.e where was it found - was it found inside the female victim or on a cigarette near by?

Also Felix just supposen for a minute that you don't get arrested then your dabs won't be taken, so not added to the database so there is still no chance of being caught so exactly how better off are we?

!!!
Everyone who has been arrested now has to give their fingerprints/DNA. It use to be those who were charged but now the database is a lot bigger. Bare in mind fingerprints/DNA will not often be enough on its own and will require supporting evidence - evidence enough to arrest.
Old 22 February 2007, 10:41 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
The last THREE times I had burglaries, car break-ins etc, your lot never even bothered to come, so don't talk crap!

Crime number, anyone? You ARE insured aren't you sir?

Alcazar
I can't talk for all forces, but ours has a compulsory attendance for house breaks. Was the break a walk in or had they ransacked the place?

What were the circumstances of them (briefly). Did you complain.....
Old 22 February 2007, 11:41 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

All this would mean is that the police could narrow down a group of people who were in the area of a crime when it happens, meaning far less time wasted trying to find the identies of people, and far more time actually finding out who did it and more time to look at other cases.

But fine - either you want to prevent the police and intelligence agencies doing their job with the latest technology or you want them to protect you.

You can't have both.
Old 22 February 2007, 06:28 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

No - if its a bar glass then your alibi is fool proof. They would't expect you to know exactly where you were several years. To pove a conviction or even a charge they will need more evidence

Read what I say carefully, I make no mention of conviction

"You could still be arrested and marched into the cop shop could you not, even though you are 100% innocent on the back of the dna and prints on a glass?"

Quick Reply: Thought you got away with it?