School closures?

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2007, 08:14 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School closures?

Hello

Why do schools close when there is a little smattering of snow? There is around 1 inch of snow where I live, and the schools are shut!

Steve
Old 08 February 2007, 08:18 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Usually because the transport system comes to a halt at the first flake of snow. And often the teachers don't live locally, so the school is shut.
Old 08 February 2007, 08:30 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Because kids all **** the bed these days at thought of taking any responsibility for themselves. Feckin workshy little ****s. I was down the mill at 6am every morning working 12 hour shifts, then I had to come home and make the tea and help with the washing. All I had for sustenance was a hard piece of bread and some meat dripping.

Little bastids should be made to do national service
Old 08 February 2007, 09:27 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Even when the heating packs up these day they get the day of school We just kept our coats on and got on with it. Anyway most of the little sh its are that obese these days they are more than equipped to deal with these cold winters with all that blubber.

12 hour shifts down the mill? bloody part timers, I was doing 18 hour shifts down the mines at 8 years old for sixpence a day. I then had to come home and refill the coal bunker darn uncle Alberts socks and clean 40 lbs of clothing on the washboard. THEN do my homework
Old 08 February 2007, 09:30 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Schools aren't closed round here, I'm in one now, w*rking away to a fashion at least
Old 08 February 2007, 10:08 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
All I had for sustenance was a hard piece of bread and some meat dripping.
Bread and dripping. Oh my, we used to dream of having bread and dripping.

When I was younger we used to go to school in the snow, and we used to walk there as well. Kids these days, don't know they're born
Old 08 February 2007, 10:35 AM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Every LEA school in Birmingham is closed. I have my son at home today because it looks as though someone dropped a bag of sugar.
I used to walk to school when I was a young boy. If it was snowing the walk was a lot more fun. Stepping off an unseen pavement usually meant that the snowline rose to the waist rather than just above the knees. But we still went to school. When we got there the whole place was like a steam room. Mist and vapour rose from every child as they took turns to stand by the radiator to dry off. The School day went on as normal and then the real fun started at home time. 300 screaming kids all intent on throwing as many snowballs at as many people as possible. The clever ones buried themselves under the snow and waited for the right time to explode out of the bunker and reign down destruction on the enemy. Even the parents joined in
(although not joining in wasn't an option as often they were the enemy) and often formed their own ranks. Slowly the skirmishes leads towards home and a hot bath before dinner. When bedtime came it was filled with dreams of the battles to come and hopes that the snow might be even deeper in the morning because that meant the journey to school would be a bigger adventure.

It makes me very sad to see the reactions these days to even the slightest snow fall. People in general have forgotten how to be happy and the people who make the rules are damn sure they will not let them remember.
Old 08 February 2007, 10:41 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
Because kids all **** the bed these days at thought of taking any responsibility for themselves. Feckin workshy little ****s. I was down the mill at 6am every morning working 12 hour shifts, then I had to come home and make the tea and help with the washing. All I had for sustenance was a hard piece of bread and some meat dripping.

Little bastids should be made to do national service
No chimneys down your way then?
Old 08 February 2007, 10:45 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
No chimneys down your way then?
We couldn't afford the firewood and coal We worked harder to keep warm
Old 08 February 2007, 10:46 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Our local primary school is closed, we've had about 1 - 2 inches of snow and all the roads have been gritted. Absolutely ludicrous! If my other half worked she would have had to take a day off to look after our son.
Old 08 February 2007, 10:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magepaster
Every LEA school in Birmingham is closed. I have my son at home today because it looks as though someone dropped a bag of sugar.
I used to walk to school when I was a young boy. If it was snowing the walk was a lot more fun. Stepping off an unseen pavement usually meant that the snowline rose to the waist rather than just above the knees. But we still went to school. When we got there the whole place was like a steam room. Mist and vapour rose from every child as they took turns to stand by the radiator to dry off. The School day went on as normal and then the real fun started at home time. 300 screaming kids all intent on throwing as many snowballs at as many people as possible. The clever ones buried themselves under the snow and waited for the right time to explode out of the bunker and reign down destruction on the enemy. Even the parents joined in
(although not joining in wasn't an option as often they were the enemy) and often formed their own ranks. Slowly the skirmishes leads towards home and a hot bath before dinner. When bedtime came it was filled with dreams of the battles to come and hopes that the snow might be even deeper in the morning because that meant the journey to school would be a bigger adventure.

It makes me very sad to see the reactions these days to even the slightest snow fall. People in general have forgotten how to be happy and the people who make the rules are damn sure they will not let them remember.
Now that did take me back a bit. Just the way to enjoy it, and we used to make long slides in the playground too. Biggest problem was that the milk used to be so cold that we got headaches behind the eyes!

Les
Old 08 February 2007, 10:51 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Schools aren't closed round here, I'm in one now, w*rking away to a fashion at least
Me too

Mind you break was fun.
Old 08 February 2007, 11:16 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Our local primary school is closed, we've had about 1 - 2 inches of snow and all the roads have been gritted. Absolutely ludicrous! If my other half worked she would have had to take a day off to look after our son.
Ho ho! So.........is it a school, or is it just free childcare

Alcazar
Old 08 February 2007, 11:21 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Pathetic as always. The kids were turning up and then being sent home again. Don't teachers get enough time off as it is what with all the half term breaks, 3:30pm finishes etc?
Old 08 February 2007, 11:28 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Pathetic as always. The kids were turning up and then being sent home again. Don't teachers get enough time off as it is what with all the half term breaks, 3:30pm finishes etc?
Give over ub. Our lass works in a school, and arrives at work every day for 0745, (leaving home at 0715 or so), rarely is she back home before 1830.

I'd call that a pretty long day.

Alcazar
Old 08 February 2007, 11:32 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Cool

Originally Posted by alcazar
...arrives at work every day for 0745, (leaving home at 0715 or so)
I'd call that a pretty long day.

Alcazar
Nearly a 24 hour working day there
Old 08 February 2007, 11:33 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Nearly a 24 hour working day there
Old 08 February 2007, 11:35 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by alcazar
Lol my mistake, I read leaving for home at 07:15 after getting to work at 07:45
Old 08 February 2007, 12:00 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I remember walking back from school one winter's day... my mate threw a snowball at me, I ducked, and it hit an old lady* right in the face. Ahh, memories.

* She was probably only about 50, but she seemed old at the time
Old 08 February 2007, 12:19 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by unclebuck
If the students were sent home we would be expected to stay in School and work, plenty to do when there are no kids about.