Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

help - garage problem

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2007, 04:27 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help - garage problem

I took my wife's car to a local garage yesterday for them to have a look/quote for some work to replace some suspension bushes. They were going to phone me to advise what needed doing.

As I'd not heard from them yesterday/today I walked down there and was told that there was a problem. They drove the car into their garage this morning and left it running to clear the ice (-7deg C!) and it overheated spilling the coolant over the floor. They/I don't know what the problem is or what's caused it. Maybe now though it's warped the head (a Fiat Seicento) or caused other problems.

Where do I stand, and, what are peoples views as to what I should ask them for should there be any damage? Okay, there may have been a problem (lets say for instance the fan doesn't cut in) before, but I don't want a big bill for their mistake if they've caused a major problem.

What is 'fair' do you think?
Old 07 February 2007, 04:30 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As it looks to me, all they have done (according to what they say) is that they left the car running. So chances are it would have happened to your wife if she was sat in traffic or during her commute. I doubt if they will offer any compensation - having said that it doesnt hurt to ask.

It would be a different story if there was a wopping great big dent in the front of the car.
Old 07 February 2007, 04:35 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
As it looks to me, all they have done (according to what they say) is that they left the car running. So chances are it would have happened to your wife if she was sat in traffic or during her commute. I doubt if they will offer any compensation - having said that it doesnt hurt to ask.

It would be a different story if there was a wopping great big dent in the front of the car.
The thing is her journey is about 5 minutes in moving traffic. Since we've had the car it's never been allowed to idle - other than the evening that we bought it.

Yes, it may have overheated but she would have been there to switch it off. They've left to idle - and it's overheated and 'may' have caused damage.

Not trying to play Devils advocate, just want to paint the full picture!
Old 07 February 2007, 04:36 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

All dents are left to her
Old 07 February 2007, 04:39 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I see what you mean, however a car - if running correctly - should be able to idle for a period of time without going bang.

Think of sitting in a traffic jam, you could be stationary for an hour or more or whatever amount of time required if you see what I mean.

So if this is the case, then there was a major problem with the car prior to the garage getting it.

Someone much wiser than me will be along in a minute to refute what I have said (shouldnt take long).

Personally I think you are pissing into the wind here, whatever the case, best of luck.
Old 07 February 2007, 04:40 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
The thing is her journey is about 5 minutes in moving traffic. Since we've had the car it's never been allowed to idle - other than the evening that we bought it.

Yes, it may have overheated but she would have been there to switch it off. They've left to idle - and it's overheated and 'may' have caused damage.

Not trying to play Devils advocate, just want to paint the full picture!
Unless you told them they couldn't idle the engine the garage aren't at fault imo.
Old 07 February 2007, 04:41 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

I see what you mean, however a car - if running correctly - should be able to idle for a period of time without going bang.

Think of sitting in a traffic jam, you could be stationary for an hour or more or whatever amount of time required if you see what I mean.

So if this is the case, then there was a major problem with the car prior to the garage getting it.

Someone much wiser than me will be along in a minute to refute what I have said (shouldnt take long).

Personally I think you are pissing into the wind here, whatever the case, best of luck.
I partially agree with what you're saying, but.......

................... if it's only a fuse gone (for the fan) and I have to pay for a head gasket, I'll be somewhat
Old 07 February 2007, 04:46 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I partially agree with what you're saying, but.......

................... if it's only a fuse gone (for the fan) and I have to pay for a head gasket, I'll be somewhat
The joys of owning cars...
Old 07 February 2007, 04:54 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

I took my wife's car to a local garage yesterday for them to have a look/quote for some work to replace some suspension bushes. They were going to phone me to advise what needed doing.

As I'd not heard from them yesterday/today I walked down there and was told that there was a problem. They drove the car into their garage this morning and left it running to clear the ice (-7deg C!) and it overheated spilling the coolant over the floor. They/I don't know what the problem is or what's caused it. Maybe now though it's warped the head (a Fiat Seicento) or caused other problems.

Where do I stand, and, what are peoples views as to what I should ask them for should there be any damage? Okay, there may have been a problem (lets say for instance the fan doesn't cut in) before, but I don't want a big bill for their mistake if they've caused a major problem.

What is 'fair' do you think?
Negligence on their part.

They have a duty of care to look after your car while it is in their control.

Bottom line is, the car should not have been left running unsupervised.
Old 07 February 2007, 07:20 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Well, the garage haven't phoned me as they said they would. So, we're without the car for another day. At about 3pm, it was the next car they were going to look at. I'm loosing faith with them a bit!
Old 07 February 2007, 10:48 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My question would be, why does it need to be de-iced ?

surely its a scrape of the windscreen and drive to the ramp.

not like it wanted an oil change or coolant change etc.

also,why was it left with them overnight just to price up some parts ?
why wasnt it dropped off at a time they had it booked for to look at it.
Old 08 February 2007, 07:56 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
My question would be, why does it need to be de-iced ?

surely its a scrape of the windscreen and drive to the ramp.

not like it wanted an oil change or coolant change etc.

also,why was it left with them overnight just to price up some parts ?
why wasnt it dropped off at a time they had it booked for to look at it.
I don't know they wanted to de-ice it. All they had to do was to drive it 20m at the most, as it was left in thier compound from the night before, but for some reason they left it running inside the garage.

I left it there the day before as they were going to look at it then if they had a chance as it wasn't booked in for a certain time. I didn't need the car for that day so it was for their convienence!

Now what
Old 08 February 2007, 08:23 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Come on guys, over 150 views and only a few people have an opinion! Should have titled the thread; Letter bombing of Muslim garage (in the snow)!!!!!

All I want is peoples opinion on what is fair and what I should ask of the garage.
Old 08 February 2007, 12:02 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Still think you haven't got a leg to stand on m8. If the car had a fault and by the garage doing what any normal person would do in the morning to defrost a car then they aren't liable for that. If they had taken it out for a spin and stuffed it into a wall then yes, or damaged something through careless actions again yes. Running a cars engine to warm / defrost the thing i'd say is perfectly normal, the engine melts that's a fault on the car not the person turning the key.

Sorry m8.
Old 08 February 2007, 12:08 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker
Still think you haven't got a leg to stand on m8. If the car had a fault and by the garage doing what any normal person would do in the morning to defrost a car then they aren't liable for that. If they had taken it out for a spin and stuffed it into a wall then yes, or damaged something through careless actions again yes. Running a cars engine to warm / defrost the thing i'd say is perfectly normal, the engine melts that's a fault on the car not the person turning the key.

Sorry m8.

Don't be sorry, I was asking for opinions
Old 08 February 2007, 12:24 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Ring up your local CAB or TRading Standards and see what they advise.

SBK
Old 08 February 2007, 12:41 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

From what I can surmise, there was a problem with the car (fan not cutting in) which you hadn't fixed previously because you drove around the problem (excuse the pun) by having a non-stop journey to work. The garage were not aware of this fault, as you had not informed them. They had no reason to suppose that letting the car idle would cause it to over-heat. I don't think this can be classed as negligent on the part of the garage. While there's a question as to why they needed to let the car idle, I would not have thought that this was a particularly unexpected thing for a car to have done in a garage (for example, when it's having an MOT (which your car would have failed with a faulty cooling system )).

Good luck with it though...
Old 08 February 2007, 12:48 PM
NeilDown&PhilMee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
From what I can surmise, there was a problem with the car (fan not cutting in) which you hadn't fixed previously because you drove around the problem (excuse the pun) by having a non-stop journey to work. The garage were not aware of this fault, as you had not informed them. They had no reason to suppose that letting the car idle would cause it to over-heat. I don't think this can be classed as negligent on the part of the garage. While there's a question as to why they needed to let the car idle, I would not have thought that this was a particularly unexpected thing for a car to have done in a garage (for example, when it's having an MOT (which your car would have failed with a faulty cooling system )).

Good luck with it though...

I don't think he knew that there was a fault.

I'd hold the garage responsible for any damage. They had the car in their care. It should have been managed better.
Old 08 February 2007, 01:06 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

You are right. I miss-read it that the original poster knew there was a problem with the fan not cutting in.

It does change things slightly, but I would still say that the garage were not at fault as they had not done anything wrong and were not negligent, unless there's something that can be said against leaving a car running unattended?
Old 08 February 2007, 01:27 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
It does change things slightly, but I would still say that the garage were not at fault as they had not done anything wrong and were not negligent, unless there's something that can be said against leaving a car running unattended?
That's the key here for me. If i take my car to a garage to have a lock changed for example, if the wheel falls off while they move it from point A to point B it's not there fault. The fault was with the wheel, they didn't do anything negligent in moving the car. If the customer had said, btw don't move the car as if you do the wheel will fall off and they did, that's their fault. The extent of duty of care that people are coming up with is unreal, yes they do but that doesn't mean they should have to ask 101 questions prior to booking in the car nor should it mean the car gets a comprehensive look over before pricing up a job if it's not deemed appropriate for the work involved.

Put it another way, MOT time a garage needs to check for emissions so need the car running, the engine melts, the fault is with the engine not the process that caused the engine to melt as it wasn’t unreasonable and a normal fully working car wouldn’t have been an issue.
Old 08 February 2007, 01:30 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Btw i'm not saying don't speak with the garage but realistically if they stood there ground it’s not their problem they would be right. If they didn’t it could be open season for people bring down sheds hoping the garage breaks what’s already broken and gets it fixed for or whatever (not saying you did this!).
Old 08 February 2007, 03:29 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I think you would struggle to show the garage was at fault, if all they have done is let it idle, I would say the car was faulty before hand, they have not treated the car in an unreasonable mannor, that we know of at least. So i can't see how you can prove they were at fault to be honest
Old 08 February 2007, 04:06 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

imo i think the garage is at fault they shouldnt of left the car idle without supervision plus what if some loon came in and took the car while they wasnt looking what would they do then??

Last edited by Stephb1986; 09 February 2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08 February 2007, 04:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, I've identified the fault.

(a Fiat Seicento)
Old 08 February 2007, 04:13 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Well, I've identified the fault.
Fix It Again Tony
Old 09 February 2007, 09:41 AM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
shouldnd of left the car idle without supervision
Reality check please, the car is not a child.
Old 09 February 2007, 11:21 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker
Reality check please, the car is not a child.
im sure you'd be saying the same thing if it was your car and its just been stolen because they left the keys in it!