Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question for the tax experts!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2007, 04:17 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the tax experts!!

I am looking at buying a couple of houses this year and have been doing a lot of calculations with the figures. After taking the mortgage, letting agency fee (10%) and the Landlord / home insurance payments out of the rental income I can charge, I will be operating at a loss of approx £20-£30 a month per house. I am more than happy to do this as I earn a decent wage and I view the houses as a long term investment and I'm not interested in a monthly income.
My tax question is....when Self Assessment time comes round can / will the Inland Revenue tax me on a loss and if so, how will it work?

It seems weird asking this question but I'm sure the government will get some money out of me somewhere along the line. I will eventually talk to the IR closer to the time but I am hoping for a ballpark answer from somebody on here.

I'm not interested in another property market thread as I've read enough of those to last a lifetime on here, so please keep it on the tax topic.

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 07 February 2007, 04:45 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

No
Old 07 February 2007, 04:47 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

When you talk about the mortgage IIRC you can only offset any interest paid and not capital paid against your tax return. I cannot fathom how you might pay tax if your sums add up and you're actually making a loss.
Old 07 February 2007, 04:49 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by CRAIGFIN
I am looking at buying a couple of houses this year and have been doing a lot of calculations with the figures. After taking the mortgage, letting agency fee (10%) and the Landlord / home insurance payments out of the rental income I can charge, I will be operating at a loss of approx £20-£30 a month per house. I am more than happy to do this as I earn a decent wage and I view the houses as a long term investment and I'm not interested in a monthly income.
My tax question is....when Self Assessment time comes round can / will the Inland Revenue tax me on a loss and if so, how will it work?

It seems weird asking this question but I'm sure the government will get some money out of me somewhere along the line. I will eventually talk to the IR closer to the time but I am hoping for a ballpark answer from somebody on here.

I'm not interested in another property market thread as I've read enough of those to last a lifetime on here, so please keep it on the tax topic.

Cheers,

Craig.

No tax on the loss (of course), provided HMRC allow the deductions you are making.

They will, of course, royally screw you on CGT when you come to sell - so make sure you keep a carefull note of and full receipts for all capital expenditure on the properties in relation to upgrades/maintenance/renovation, etc, etc, as this,. together with indexation, will mitigate the taxable gain on sale.
Old 07 February 2007, 05:29 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

You get tapered relief on CGT so its not as onerous as has been suggested but what I can't get my head round is why anyone would want to make a long term investment where you're making a loss.

A basic rule of thumb for a buy to let property is a return of at least 5%, otherwise don't bother. What your proposing is to lose circa £18k over the course of the mortgage repayment and hope you make it up on capital growth? Your also proposing to use an agent but if the area is so good for letting, then do it yourself and save the money.
Old 07 February 2007, 05:38 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
They will, of course, royally screw you on CGT when you come to sell - so make sure you keep a carefull note of and full receipts for all capital expenditure on the properties in relation to upgrades/maintenance/renovation, etc, etc, as this,. together with indexation, will mitigate the taxable gain on sale.
IIRC you can't offset capital expenditure against CGT, as you will have already offset this against income tax
Old 07 February 2007, 06:15 PM
Sauron
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Olly
IIRC you can't offset capital expenditure against CGT, as you will have already offset this against income tax
Capital allowances are not deductable from letting income. See here- Capital allowances: introduction
For full details on lettings income/expenditure check this out Recent updates to the Property Income Manual
If you make a loss on your lettings income remember loss can only be carried forward and set against future profits, not claimed against other income. Unless you're letting a furnished holiday letting.
Old 07 February 2007, 06:26 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Try again.

IIRC you can't offset capital DEDUCTIONS against CGT, as you will have already offset this against income tax
Old 07 February 2007, 06:38 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell. Some of you lot obviously went to the same business school as Nicholas Smolenski. Talk about inept.

Old 07 February 2007, 11:21 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

Hmm interesting remember your be making a small loss IF everything goes ok.
When/if interest rates go up you'll be making a lot more loss.
Also don't forget Elec/Gas tests, NIC report, and this deposit scheme coming in from April more expense to think about.
Old 08 February 2007, 08:03 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by Olly
Try again.

IIRC you can't offset capital DEDUCTIONS against CGT, as you will have already offset this against income tax

However expenditure on updrades, renovation, etc, which are deemed enhancement are
Old 08 February 2007, 01:40 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CRAIGFIN

Cheers,

Craig.

If you go ahead with your plans prepare to be bankrupted, unless ofcourse you live out in the sticks somewhere where houses cost teenage wages