Petition Save Battle of Britain Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2007, 01:25 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Petition Save Battle of Britain Heritage

I am a battle of Britain historian.
And this has come to my attention. One of the last few remaining parts of our heritage from this part of history is about to be demolished. You can sign the online petion here to stop this happening.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Stop the demolition of historic Battle of Britain architecture at RAF Northolt.

For a bit more background info go here

Help try to save our Battle of Britain heritage!

The point is that I have recorded most of surviving Battle of Britain structures left in the South East over the years and very few are left. For example both Hawkinge and West Malling airfields have been developed in recent years.

A bit of poor state of afairs considering this was first battle for hundreds of years that happened over and on our soil that literally changed the course of history. It was also the largest air battle the world has ever seen etc etc.

For those that are interested. The only origional surviving 1940 battle of Britain period watch tower existing in the UK can now be seen at Goodwood circut if you are ever down there for a track day.

Steve
Old 01 February 2007, 01:38 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An admirable concern Steve, but these online petitions are unfortunately as useful as an inflatable dartboard and are being abused by the less deserving...(take the spazzy road monitoring one which 600,000 simpletons signed )
Good luck in your quest and I hope other lines of attack which are much more likely to succeed are taken up...
Old 01 February 2007, 01:54 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Signed and forwarded to a dozen or so friends as well

Is there not any chance of getting the buildings listed or on the National heritage "At risk" register?
Thanks appreciated Nat

I am afraid i is a case of property developers and councils pissing all over a very very important part of our heritage. Obviously ex BofB airfields in the South East are prime bits of real estate - and well I am a realist so I suppose with the presure for housing and the like fair enough many of them have been built on. But one should have been saved intact with the buildings perhaps put to other uses a museam and lots office space for private businesses to help pay the way. But hey thats common sense. The biggest missed opportunity was probably when the buildings at Kenly were pulled down. Odd and sods have surived but not one intact airfield.

Abdabz - Firstly thanks
I know exactly where you are coming from. I think many of us are a bit cynical-realistic about our ability to actualy influence in this day and age. But hey you have to try - so perhaps it will make a difference.
Old 01 February 2007, 04:32 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I've signed it. I was stationed at Northolt many moons ago - i like to way the 'Mess' is now called 'junior ranks dining club' !!

alan
Old 01 February 2007, 04:38 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Signed and forwarded to several people.

Thanks for bringing this to peoples attention
Old 01 February 2007, 04:38 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

signed, well done Steve, very worthy cause, good luck

Andy
Old 01 February 2007, 04:46 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

They have hangars like that at Bassingbourne Barracks in Royston, or they did when I was based there in the early 90s. Not being a hangar expert I am not sure if they are exactly the same but to the untrained eye they look pretty similar.
Old 01 February 2007, 05:06 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Signed .......
Old 01 February 2007, 05:19 PM
248SPG
Scooby Regular

Signed here too
Old 01 February 2007, 05:27 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn

Abdabz - Firstly thanks
I know exactly where you are coming from. I think many of us are a bit cynical-realistic about our ability to actualy influence in this day and age. But hey you have to try - so perhaps it will make a difference.
Absolutely and duly signed sir. I hope your campaign gets in the face of your local MP and councillor, along with local business support etc... Organise local "village meetings" where proposers of both sides can discuss in a public forum the impact of having not having that piece of history etc...

For a totally unrelated and far less important campaign, I helped our community beat big business recently and it was tiresome and a bit of a pain, but we came through

Good Luck!
Old 01 February 2007, 06:54 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Signed!

Have you tried UKAR Message Board FIGHTER CONTROL and Warplane.co.uk Military aviation photography in the UK. ?
Old 01 February 2007, 07:35 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Signed in loving memory of my dear uncle Harry who was a co-pilot bomb aimer in a LancasterRIP Uncle Harry
Cheers
Colin
Old 01 February 2007, 08:02 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Signed, good look we are losing far to much of our heritage just so that the government can balance its books
Old 01 February 2007, 08:41 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Big thanks to everyone who has taken the time to sign
Cheers
Steve

BTTT
Old 01 February 2007, 09:20 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Good luck Steve, please keep me informed if you can because this is something very close to my heart
Cheers
Colin
Old 01 February 2007, 09:30 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

done
Old 02 February 2007, 11:22 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks again
BTTT
Steve
Old 02 February 2007, 11:30 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Abdabz
An admirable concern Steve, but these online petitions are unfortunately as useful as an inflatable dartboard and are being abused by the less deserving...(take the spazzy road monitoring one which 600,000 simpletons signed )
Good luck in your quest and I hope other lines of attack which are much more likely to succeed are taken up...
Online Petition worked for the seadogs (scarborough FC) that was put forward to the council
Old 02 February 2007, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Signed and confirmed of course Steve. Well done and good luck with the petition. I shall look out for that tower at Goodwood at the Revival Day in September.

Les
Old 02 February 2007, 12:19 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Thanks Les
Here are some pointers.
Its a very small modest looking building (not the size you would associate with a later wartime mid 40s control tower). It is near the aircrew memorial if remember rightly inside the circuit. I dont think it has a plaque or anything - I hope it is protected. But if it dissapeared today I dont think many would notice or realise.
Steve
Old 04 February 2007, 04:21 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

I expect most of you have seen this by now.
For those that haven´t
BTTT for the last time
Thanks to all that have signed
Steve
Old 04 February 2007, 04:35 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Come on guys, with out these brave men and women many of us would not be here today.
Cheers
Colin
Old 20 February 2007, 09:28 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Steve, how did you feel about the response from Bliar?

"The Government takes its obligations to preserving the heritage of the defence estate very seriously. However, the need to preserve must be balanced against the need to fulfil our defence requirements, both now and in the future.

Project MOD Estates London (MoDEL) seeks to implement the Ministry of Defence (MOD) Estate Strategy by combining operations from a number of sites across Greater London at RAF Northolt. It represents a significant rationalisation of the defence estate in Greater London, consolidating the facilities occupied by UK forces onto a modern, integrated 'anchor site'. This will generate a number of benefits in terms of reduced running costs, improved efficiency, consolidated resources and improvement to quality of life for the current and future generations of MOD personnel.

In investing an initial £180 million in the development of RAF Northolt the MOD developed a masterplan, informed by the English Heritage's Aviation Thematic Review. This masterplan sought to deliver a fit for purpose site which improved the quality of service personnel accommodation while preserving and recording heritage elements. At only 190 hectares the site is a relatively small airfield and the area capable of development is constrained by town and country planning limitations. There are also issues relating to airfield operations and security restrictions.

Difficult decisions had to be made. Both the A type hangar (hangar 6), including the associated Operational ready room, and the former Operations Room (building 27), were not recommended for listing as part of the Aviation Thematic review and are subsequently to be demolished after an agreed scheme of archaeological recording. These buildings will make way for the new offices and parade square for the Queen's Colour Squadron plus a facility to house the Central Band of the RAF and Headquarters Music Service.

Significantly the masterplan also includes enhancement to the setting of certain buildings such as the current Station HQ, (building 28) and the Officers' Mess which is being sympathetically enlarged and its function retained in keeping with its Grade II listed status.

Through this MOD intends to strike the right balance between preserving the most important elements of our Nation's past whilst meeting the needs of our armed forces in the future"

Cheers, Abdabz
Old 20 February 2007, 08:49 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Abdabz
Well what I half expected.
The typical non comittal drivel. But if you read between the lines they are going to knock it down.

....generate a number of benefits ....... reduced running costs, Blah blah blah.... consolidated resources and improvement to quality of life for the current and future generations of MOD personnel....Blah Blah Blah...

If there is any more news on this I will post
Cheers
Steve