Albert47
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what car next??

Right here is the scenario,

Im 28 years old,
missis is due in 5 months,
I own a Seat leon cupra R at the minute,
It's not big enough for baby prams car seats and shopping all at once for when the time comes,

Any recommendations for my next car that you boys and girls have used, liked, didnt like etc

I would like it sporty yet practical and something my misis wont look out of place in. im thinking Audi A4 avent 2.0 Im just after some ideas.

Thanks in advance

Adam
Old 30 January 2007, 07:59 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Sarcasm mode on

It must of been hell for my Mum and Dad back in the seventies in an old Renault 16 trying to get a big pram in the back, gawd knows how they coped.

To be fair, the missus struggles now with two under 5s, a buggy, a bootful of shopping and all that in a VW Golf. She even has to put her handbag in the passenger footwell!!

Sarcasm mode off

Last edited by MattW; 30 January 2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added mode text, maybe a little too subtle for some.
Old 30 January 2007, 08:50 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The Audi A4 Avant isn't that much bigger than inside that the Leon is more suitable for carrying golf clubs than baby gear. If you love your Leon, I would say that you still have some time left for the Leon if your having one child, therefore save your money for baby stuff, (believe me the cost will mount up!) . Its a great car and pretty roomy for a fast hatch and can easily accomodate 1 child and all of its gear. However, if you're having twins, then neither car will be big enough. You'll need to be looking at a larger estate or compact MPV.

However, if you want to change, and think you'll have more children in the future, get something bigger.
Old 30 January 2007, 08:54 AM
Remster
Scooby Regular

Adam,

Sounds a familiar scenario.

I was in an almost identical position to you 18mths ago. Our daughter was born in Nov. '05 and up until 2mths prior to the birth I was driving a Seat Leon Cupra R (Revo re-mapped of course ).

As you rightly mention, in the early months of your childs life, you will cart around so much bumpf! This will reduce in time, as you realise that 1/2 can be left at home.

However, like you, I decided that the Cupra R was not going to be up to the task and changed for an estate.

I ended up buying a 2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDi Sport (130). It really is a superb motor car. All the creature comforts you require are there, the build quality is fantastic. The drive is far better than I ever imagined a diesel could be. As mine is the sport model, the suspension is lower and stiffer as standard which means it does hustle well on b-road but still gives a compliant relaxed ride on long journeys. As for performance, in std. trim the car is no slouch and has bags of torque in all gears. However, I had mine re-mapped which brings the figures upto 170bhp/270lb/ft and makes the car really move. I still see an average of 45mpg and it has cost me no more than 2 tyres (£210) and 1 (£165) service in 18mths (20k miles) motoring. Fantastic.
The boot, although not class leading in size, will still swallow the buggy, changing bag and a fortnights food shop with ease. If you need more space, the rear seats are split folding and will drop flat.

We will be selling our current car in April and buying another one as it suits us just fine. My wife also commented when driving it for the first time that it didn't feel too big/intimidating to drive which was a bonus.

If you could wait till April, i'd be happy to let you have 1st refusal on our A4. (better than letting the dealer rob us blind ) It has full Audi service history and has covered 85k miles. We would be after £9500.

All the best.
Chris
Old 30 January 2007, 10:06 AM
sozster
Scooby Newbie

Hi Adam,

Similar situation last year!

I had a Calibra Turbo before our daughter was born in October last year - so had to sell it after 6 years ownership!
I ended up buying a newage WRX SL PPP. The extra boot space, 4 doors is essential, also my wife finds it easy to drive! The best thing is that it has ISOFIX connections at the back for the car seat - I bought Recaro pushchair\seat to go with the car's black leather Recaros!

regards,

Sozster
Old 30 January 2007, 10:32 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Made the mistake of thinking I needed the room and bought a BMW 5 series. Now sold and we have a Civic Type R.
Old 30 January 2007, 10:42 AM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Same as the above here, you do not need a huge car for one kid. I had a golf gttdi 3 door when we had ours. The only pain in the **** was the 3 door bit.

So you need a buggy in the boot, a bag of nappies, milk etc and some shopping. Why do you need a bigger car or estate for that? We even had room to spare for more luggage when going away. Anyway doesn't the Leon have bigger boot than a golf?

Problem solved.
Old 30 January 2007, 10:59 AM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a CTR when my Mrs got preggers. Chopped it in for a nice 530 Sport. What an awesome car. Plenty of room for buggys and shopping with a little bit of poke and in 20 months its never missed a beat. now my daughter is nearly 2, im looking for a scoob
Old 30 January 2007, 11:03 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Can you put baby in the front seat? (or do you have un-disableable (???) front passenger airbag)
2. Does the car have split-fold rear seat?
3. Will you be buying a fairly small pram, rather than the massive all-terrain jobs?

If so, you can use it for another six months easily if you want.
Old 30 January 2007, 11:04 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't rush to buy a car if I were you. Our first is 5 months old and we still haven't got round to buying a 'baby' car (the missus and I can't agree - she wants a C Class, I want an E Class).

Whatever happens we're keeping the P1 and an old Fiesta which was my station car but is now mainly the baby motor. P1 is surprisingly capacious with baby for long weekends away (I just have to remember she's on board!).

G
Old 30 January 2007, 11:20 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Would love an A4 Avant.

Reality is my skoda octavia vrs swallows everything when necessary (twice a year holiday to Devon)

Rest of the time the wife easily carts the twins and all their bits around in her Fabia.

Still tempted on the A4 front though
Old 30 January 2007, 11:57 AM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

Mondeo st 220 loads of room big boot etc, not to bad plenty of air bags to protect your nearest and dearest.
Old 30 January 2007, 12:03 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

I had a Leon Cupra until my son was 1, when I then went back to a Scooby. It had loads of room!

Don't bother changing - stick with the LCR!
Old 30 January 2007, 12:20 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Highly unlikely choice but I was set on getting an Audi/VW Estate two years ago.
Drove many, hated the drive, was disgusted at the prices and went for an Astra Estate.

Now I'm looking to get a very "invisible" tuning box which will get me up to about 200bhp/300lbs/ft (currently 150bhp/235lbs/ft - So stll pretty pokey) in a car that's been utterly reliable, is genuinely fun to drive (top line models have lowered suspension, big alloys, bigger brakes), looks good, is very well made and costs peanuts to run.

After a Golf R32, it's been a pleasant suprise.
Old 30 January 2007, 12:50 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

I was in this position last year.

I tried an A4 Avant (had an A3 at the time) and wasn`t that impressed to be honest. It wasn`t really that much bigger than the A3. The same was true of a 3 series touring that we looked at.

Had a look at an Octavia and was impressed, unfortunately the wife hated it. She just couldn`t get on with the driving position.

In the end I got a fantastic deal on a Passat Estate and it`s been excellent. I didn`t think we needed something that big but the wife fills it whenever we go to visit in-laws etc etc.

As soon as he`s a bit older and we can deploy somewhere without the need for sterilizers, puke blankets, numerous bottles, travel systems, umpteen changes of clothes (for him, not us!) and the pram then we`ll be back in a hatchback.
Old 30 January 2007, 12:50 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

WRX Wagon, Forester STi,Octavis VRs estate.

Mac
Old 30 January 2007, 12:56 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

missis is due in 5 months

is it a pre-arranged marriage ?? is she coming over on a boat or by plane ?
Old 30 January 2007, 01:01 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
is it a pre-arranged marriage ?? is she coming over on a boat or by plane ?
Well she must be a jap... it took me 5 months to get my car delivered from there!!
Old 30 January 2007, 01:38 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Suzuki Cappucino or a Hummer? Probably something in between will suit your needs. Try a Seat Leon Cupra R... Should be fine
My mum and dad managed with me when they had an MG BGT in 1974...
They did sell the MG Midget while I was in 'womb though
Old 30 January 2007, 02:30 PM
PPPRob
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine and his missus do ok with a 2 year old and a Focus ST

I think you'll be ok with your Leon

Old 30 January 2007, 02:48 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

We had my wife's Celica and my 911 when our daughter was born... No problem

Keep the Leon - it'll discipline you into not taking more crap than you need everywhere!

SB
Old 30 January 2007, 06:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Leon should be fine with one child, we had a Golf MK3 we bought new when we had our first, still ok with the second, we chopped it in for a Volvo 850 in anticipation of a third, and we had a dog as well.

The main reason for changing a car other than space is a lack of doors as access is more important than size.

Kepp your LCR as long as you can as you will end up with boring ****e people carriers soon enough !
Old 30 January 2007, 07:51 PM
CraigCH
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have just bought a new Legacy 2.0R Sport Wagon and I am very impressed! I thought going from an impreza turbo to the Legacy would be hard but so far I don't miss it ( I am still running in though so haven't really got high enough in the revs to miss the turbo). It is very comfortable and is still lots of fun around roundabouts! I think it is the best looking estate car out there and would highly recommend it.
Cheers.
Craig.
Old 31 January 2007, 05:44 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Seat Altea XL would have to be worth a look for those with kids.
Old 31 January 2007, 05:58 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Alright Bro,

You back from the states then......What you need is one of these.

You know you want one!!
Old 31 January 2007, 07:14 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

mate whatever you get it woin t be big enough trust me

buy her a picasso and keep the scoob everyone happy
Old 31 January 2007, 07:30 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Keep the Leon.

We made do with an A3 and a Type R and then a Clio whilst we had one little luv.

Now we have two, we are getting a Skoda Tavia vRS.

I never found a problem getting diddums out of a forward facing car seat in any of the 2/3 door cars apart form the Clio now he is 3.5 and I keep banging his head on the ceiling . That is cured now he is in a booster seat.

Steve

Quick Reply: what car next??