Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bush - worlds number one terrorist?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2007, 01:02 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bush - worlds number one terrorist?

Man thrown off plane for 'terror' t-shirt | Metro.co.uk

It has to be seen to be believed!!!

Not even an american airline

Freedom of speech is no longer valid in the western world... Conform or be punished

Old 24 January 2007, 01:09 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

lol good man.

bloody funny
Old 24 January 2007, 01:28 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz

Freedom of speech is no longer valid in the western world... Conform or be punished

Scenario.

Same man walks through security, gets talking to a guard and says " What do you think of Bush? Worlds number 1 terrorist?"

He gets pulled out, questioned and misses his flight until staff are satisfied of his credentials. ( That would happen )

What's the difference?
Old 24 January 2007, 01:49 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Good point, but Qantas got all self-righteous about the risk that the shirt might cause offence, not that it made the wearer a potential security risk...

Out of interest, what's the score with tickets, refunds etc if you miss your flight through being (innocently) detained by airport security?

SB
Old 24 January 2007, 02:13 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Don't forget this man was also prevented from boarding a flight at Heathrow by UK security apparently with the same t-shirt.

Here are more details. The guy is making a point and being a ********.

Qantas bans man over wearing 'Bush number 1 terrorist' shirt - 22 Jan 2007 - World

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 24 January 2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 24 January 2007, 02:23 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I would have changed my tshirt and got my flight
Old 24 January 2007, 02:30 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Who deems what is offensive? I find anyone who thinks Nu Labour is good idea offensive, are they going to be prevented from flying because I find them offensive? Its a ridiculous test

Trending Topics

Old 24 January 2007, 02:41 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

not sure i agree with you there. if you're going to be deliberately inflammatory, you've got to take the possible consequences. don't forget, all airlines reserve the right to refuse you your seat - for whatever reason they deem fit.

sounds like the guy was trolling for a reaction in the stupidest of places, albeit to make his point. besides, no skipper/cabin crew would run the risk/distraction of him perhaps gobbing off and causing a ruck with someone at 35,000 ft who took exception to his provocative stance. he's clearly an argument waiting to happen.
Old 24 January 2007, 02:47 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy Ghost
besides, no skipper/cabin crew would run the risk/distraction of him perhaps gobbing off and causing a ruck with someone at 35,000 ft who took exception to his provocative stance. he's clearly an argument waiting to happen.
You've never been on a charter flight full of Brits to Tenerife then? What a ridiculous argument.
Old 24 January 2007, 02:52 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Ah. He's had the same problem before?

OK, he's an ****, then. Yes, an **** with a point to make, but an **** nonetheless.

SB
Old 24 January 2007, 02:54 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

It gets better. He was allowed through and then raised the subject himself - basically saying "Hey look at me - I've got this t-shirt on that you banned before and this time you've let it go..."

The bloke has elevated himself to a level of ****-dom previously reserved for certain trolls on this here board...

SB
Old 24 January 2007, 03:00 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley
It gets better. He was allowed through and then raised the subject himself - basically saying "Hey look at me - I've got this t-shirt on that you banned before and this time you've let it go..."

The bloke has elevated himself to a level of ****-dom previously reserved for certain trolls on this here board...

SB
Come in UncleBuck!
Old 24 January 2007, 03:06 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I think almost all on the flight would agree with his sentiment anyway so it would be unlikely to cause a furore on the plane once on.
Once searched, so to establish he was carrying no threat to the safety of the plane he should have been allowed to fly as normal under the same laws as the other passengers.
If I fly out from Manchester wearing a Man United top, or a rock band logo'd tshirt, I wouldnt expect to be told to take it off because someone might find it offensive...
Who deems what T-shirt is offensive? Do the american airport authorities make sure that this is printed on each ticket, next to the 'dont bring a bomb or gun on the plane' bit?
I guess if his tshirt had said 'death to non muslims', I might have felt differently, however
Old 24 January 2007, 03:31 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

If I fly out from Manchester wearing a Man United top, or a rock band logo'd tshirt, I wouldnt expect to be told to take it off because someone might find it offensive...
I think you'll find certain ethnic groups aren't conducting suicide operations of planes and trains, against people who support Manchester Utd.

This guy wasn't wearing a football or rock group t-shirt.
Old 24 January 2007, 03:32 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
You've never been on a charter flight full of Brits to Tenerife then? What a ridiculous argument.

bit harsh brendan. not to tenerife i haven't.

but would you not say that brit binge drinkers getting even more irritatingly pi55ed-up in the air on a charter flight might be viewed slightly differently to someone attempting to board a scheduled flight operated by a country whose troops are at war, bearing a contentious slogan guaranteed to provoke a reaction? [not least in that the former issue is usually in the air and the latter one clearly on the ground and therefore easier to address].

regardless, you still hear of pi55ed passengers being refused entry at the gate, pi55ed passengers being arrested at their destination, pi55ed passengers being returned on the next flight back home and even entirely pi55ed planes being re-routed for safety reasons.

would he have worn a T-shirt with "osama bin-laden: world's #1 terrorist" while attempting to board a scheduled PIA flight in islamabad? i doubt it. i also suspect he'd have been given an equally difficult time by PIA ground staff at islamabad if he'd worn the bush one...

Last edited by Holy Ghost; 24 January 2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 24 January 2007, 03:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If the guy had been taken off a flight in Texas or New York, I'd say your argument would have merit, there's a risk of a fight. But in Australia? No way. And I think you've got the point that people are far more at risk of creating a ruckus at 35 000 feet in other situations, when they are still allowed to fly, than this.

HG, I don't like your political views but I like most of your posts, they're usually valid, intelligent and well-argued. I thought the above was an exception, you were going a bit too tabloid
Old 24 January 2007, 04:11 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
If the guy had been taken off a flight in Texas or New York, I'd say your argument would have merit, there's a risk of a fight. But in Australia? No way. And I think you've got the point that people are far more at risk of creating a ruckus at 35 000 feet in other situations, when they are still allowed to fly, than this.

HG, I don't like your political views but I like most of your posts, they're usually valid, intelligent and well-argued. I thought the above was an exception, you were going a bit too tabloid

well it's a difficult, arguably subjective call; i would imagine the rule of thumb is err on the side of caution wherever possible/practical when it's a vulnerable aluminium tube under pressure.

that's kind of you to say brendan; proof positive that different views can co-habit without needing a flamesuit. for what it's worth, the same goes for your posts.

tabloid? oh dear. i must have inadvertently sat on my mother-in-law's daily mail ....
Old 24 January 2007, 05:00 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
I think you'll find certain ethnic groups aren't conducting suicide operations of planes and trains, against people who support Manchester Utd.

This guy wasn't wearing a football or rock group t-shirt.

That is true, but he was an australian dude not of an ethnic group in terms of this thread. I appreciate aussies are criminals and only work in bars but for the sake of this thread we'll move on

I would imagine that some of the london tube bombers and the 9/11 hijackers wore cotton tshirts. soo using your logic, cotton tshirts, regardless of logo should be banned full stop because ethnic groups DO wear them when commiting suicide...

I have a tshirt that says "I'm Spartacus" on it... Would I be prevented to fly because my passport says my name is Abdabadoodle MacPoodle?

Having read the other article now, I support the guy, in fact I applaud him for innocently challenging free speech and I pity the petulance of those that stopped him flying...
Old 24 January 2007, 05:22 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

... Would I be prevented to fly because my passport says my name is Abdabadoodle MacPoodle?
Well good for you. I admire your principled stand.

About your passport? Yes you would, if that isn't your real name.

Now, to the real world.

As someone that works at an airport, knows the current security situation, and many of the security guards who have to, on a daiy basis, put up with **** from muppets like this let me say this.

You sir, are a tw@t.
Old 24 January 2007, 05:28 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Well good for you. I admire your principled stand.

About your passport? Yes you would, if that isn't your real name.

Now, to the real world.

As someone that works at an airport, knows the current security situation, and many of the security guards who have to, on a daiy basis, put up with **** from muppets like this let me say this.

You sir, are a tw@t.
Oh OK then , fair enough
Old 24 January 2007, 06:54 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

should have changed back once the plane was airborn.
Old 24 January 2007, 08:58 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Having read the other article now, I support the guy, in fact I applaud him for innocently challenging free speech and I pity the petulance of those that stopped him flying...
You can't have totally free speech and I think there are many t-shirts that could be considered offensive.
Old 24 January 2007, 09:41 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I have a tshirt that says "I'm Spartacus" on it... Would I be prevented to fly because my passport says my name is Abdabadoodle MacPoodle?
How dare you use my name in vain !!

Bollox to the fact he wasn't allowed to fly. Still, I wouldn't have bee anywhere near as "principled". "Ok, where's your XXXXXXL Quantas t-shirt ?!"
Old 24 January 2007, 09:53 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seamaster
should have changed back once the plane was airborn.
Absolutely - the chap was just being an arrogant **** and rightly, got slapped down for it
Old 24 January 2007, 10:54 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

WHO is offended by the t-shirt exactly? (apart from that #1 terrorist bloke in charge of the US )
Old 24 January 2007, 11:11 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
WHO is offended by the t-shirt exactly? (apart from that #1 terrorist bloke in charge of the US )
You should be banned from flying on Scoobynet !!

Old 24 January 2007, 11:20 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Quite a few Americans would be, some of them are pretty patriotic and get very upset if you disparage anything to do with their country.
Old 24 January 2007, 11:32 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The airline, because people carrying/wearing political statements are just bad plain for business. Just look at all the bad publicity they got from this idiot and his t-shirt!
Old 25 January 2007, 11:02 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The truth often hurts!

Les