Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Violent Offender Order - Abolition of presumption of innocence

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2007, 11:00 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Violent Offender Order - Abolition of presumption of innocence

The latest wheeze is to prohibit you from having your car, telling you where to live, confining you to your home after dark and preventing travel. All you have to do to get one is..... NOTHING. The police or probation service can apply to court to award one to you based on hearsay evidence, and that's it. You dont even have to commit a crime anymore.

Blair wants 'super-Asbos' for violent thugs - Sunday Times - Times Online

To any NuLab cretins who want to post about how this is a great idea and protecting the public, you can just **** ***!

This Government is out of control and this sort of idea is just gonna make things worse. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty, a fundamental tenet of our society?! I weep for the damage that has been done to this country - MY country - over the last 10 years.
Old 14 January 2007, 11:25 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

What? You are not defending human rights there are you?

You'll be accused of being a PC plonker/puff/add demeaning term of your own!

I suspect that the European Court of Human Rights will have something to say about this. Mind you it didn't do much good for those in Guantanimo Bay
Old 14 January 2007, 11:29 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Woah, woah... it's ok.... this stuff will only apply to UK residents of several generations' standing. Illgal immigrants and asylum seekers will get an automatic waiver.
Old 15 January 2007, 10:14 AM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

All very well tying to bring in the 'super-ABSO' but, how the hell will it be enforced?
Can GATSO's be reprogrammed to detect people who for instance are 'out after 'curfew' ?
Old 15 January 2007, 10:20 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The trouble with utterly reprehensible legislation like this, is that Middel England will look at it and think "Jolly Good!". The Torys will back it because they don't want to be seen as being soft on crime (unless of course they whiff a rebellion by the Labour back benches).
Old 15 January 2007, 11:12 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

It reads far more like a Tory policy to me - search all the posts criticising NuLab due to being more human rights focused than reactionary.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:18 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
It reads far more like a Tory policy to me - search all the posts criticising NuLab due to being more human rights focused than reactionary.
COurse it does. However, it's all part of the ongoing shift to the right as a reaction to Torys gaining support in Middle England, which is where elections are won and lost.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:32 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
COurse it does. However, it's all part of the ongoing shift to the right as a reaction to Torys gaining support in Middle England, which is where elections are won and lost.

Quite!
Old 15 January 2007, 11:38 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've done nothing wrong you have everything to worry about
Old 15 January 2007, 12:13 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Where will it all end ................
Old 15 January 2007, 12:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't believe all that, it goes against the basic tenets of British law. Just imagine the scope that gives to an untrustworthy government to fit up anyone that they feel like.

Whatever appropriate punishment they want to give for real thuggery etc. etc is fair enough by me, but not without genuine proof in a court of law.

Just another indication of the "secret agenda" which is being set up for the future. It is more than frightening!

Les
Old 15 January 2007, 12:25 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Most ******* get off with things as they is not enough evidence. So they bring something in which allows heresay evidence - and you all moan...???
Old 15 January 2007, 12:30 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
Most ******* get off with things as they is not enough evidence. So they bring something in which allows heresay evidence - and you all moan...???
Yeah, damn that annoying part of British law where you have to prove someone did something. Far better to rely on heresay and conjecture - I mean, that's not open to abuse at all is it.
Old 15 January 2007, 03:25 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

No - because it has still got to be passed by the courts and both defence and prosecution solicitors
Old 15 January 2007, 03:51 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

No - because it has still got to be passed by the courts and both defence and prosecution solicitors
The defence solicitor has got to agree to it?

I may be missing something here, but if a person gets a "Voo" raised against them, why on earth would the defence say "yup, we'll accept that". I mean The prosecution obviously haven't got a case, because otherwise they would go ahead with a charge. By accepting a Voo, the defence is effectively admitting guilt, surely.

Why on earth would the defence accept a "voo" when there is no case to answer?

Unless of course it is going to be used as a shortcut and bargaining tool - Ie. Accept a Voo, or we'll go to court.
Old 15 January 2007, 04:21 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

The whole point is that it is put before a court and that both sides view the evidence as just and fair. If not then it is argued/discussed at court until a point is reached where the court can make a decission.
Old 15 January 2007, 04:46 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The whole point is that it is put before a court and that both sides view the evidence as just and fair. If not then it is argued/discussed at court until a point is reached where the court can make a decission.
Evidence of what? No offence can be proven as being committed - That's the whole problem people have with this proposal.
Old 15 January 2007, 05:15 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

OK here’s an example.

Little Johnny Snot moves onto your estate. He is well known to police community as a bit of a rogue and has been in trouble before for arson attacks. One night, someone’s car get torched on the drive at 3 in the morning. Police respond and detain Johnny riding off the estate on his bike smelling of petrol. No one else around at the time. He is arrested and interviewed, but states that he was out bike riding because he can’t sleep and he smells of petrol because he was helping his dad fix his car that day and spilt petrol on him. Nobody has seen him cause the car fire. Therefore no evidence against him and he walks away free.

He now thinks he can get away with it and returns most evenings and sets someone’s car on fire (including yours). Sometimes he is caught by police (in which he gives the same account) other times he is not. Always no witnesses that have seen him cause the fire.

Therefore at the moment, none of this can be used if we are seeking an ASBO. With the new legislation we can consider it at least. That’s not to say that it will prove any guilt, but the court can draw and inference and perhaps give consideration to these events when creating his conditions.
Old 15 January 2007, 05:50 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

OK here’s an example.

Therefore at the moment, none of this can be used if we are seeking an ASBO. With the new legislation we can consider it at least. That’s not to say that it will prove any guilt, but the court can draw and inference and perhaps give consideration to these events when creating his conditions.
That's not correct....ASBOs are CIVIL applications, and hearsay etc can be admitted, the strict rules of criminal evidence do not apply (Im a criminal lawyer!)
Old 15 January 2007, 07:12 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

OK here’s an example.

Little Johnny Snot moves onto your estate. He is well known to police community as a bit of a rogue and has been in trouble before for arson attacks. One night, someone’s car get torched on the drive at 3 in the morning. Police respond and detain Johnny riding off the estate on his bike smelling of petrol. No one else around at the time. He is arrested and interviewed, but states that he was out bike riding because he can’t sleep and he smells of petrol because he was helping his dad fix his car that day and spilt petrol on him. Nobody has seen him cause the car fire. Therefore no evidence against him and he walks away free.

He now thinks he can get away with it and returns most evenings and sets someone’s car on fire (including yours). Sometimes he is caught by police (in which he gives the same account) other times he is not. Always no witnesses that have seen him cause the fire.

So Johnny snot gets an Voo or Asbo. Two months later, the police catch the person actually responsible for the arson attacks and the ASBO against Johnny is recinded, with a "oops, sorry mate, you'll probably have the ASBO off your record, when someone gets round to doing it"

Once you go down the road of convicting on "probable" guilt, you are on a very slippery slope.
Old 15 January 2007, 07:51 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

OK here’s an example.

and mr smith WHO was repairing his car and spilt petrol on himself, is arrested and super asbo'd, his car removed, from his address, he's given a curfiew and restrictions, because he cant prove where he was earlier in the evening (he was asleep btw)... when the mess is sorted out, Mr Smith, has lost his job, (A) he couldnt get to work, no car
(B) he was under curfiew
(C) he recieves either a bill for storage of his removed car...or
(D) he recieves a cheque for £0.98p the balance of the costs of selling his car to pay for the storage costs he was unable to pay due to A&B
(E) His home is repossesed due to non payment of mortgage as a result of A&B

I'll see you all later, i'm off down the bookies to get my bets in early

Mart
Old 16 January 2007, 11:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I don't care what example you give Felix, The laws were made for our protection and are clearly defined. Pure supposition that you wish to use to make your job easier is totally wrong even if some lawyer is prepared to accept it, possibly for the same kind of reason.

British law requires positive evidence for conviction and that is how it should remain. Allowing this sort of conviction is wrong and also dangerous as I explained in my previous post. We cannot trust the authorities any more and certainly not with this kind of power.

Hearsay evidence has never been admissible and to accept that in future is a betrayal of justice in this country.

Les
Old 16 January 2007, 11:43 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Leslie
I don't care what example you give Felix, The laws were made for our protection and are clearly defined. Pure supposition that you wish to use to make your job easier is totally wrong even if some lawyer is prepared to accept it, possibly for the same kind of reason.

British law requires positive evidence for conviction and that is how it should remain. Allowing this sort of conviction is wrong and also dangerous as I explained in my previous post. We cannot trust the authorities any more and certainly not with this kind of power.

Hearsay evidence has never been admissible and to accept that in future is a betrayal of justice in this country.

Les

Sorry Les, this is just not true.

I was convicted of speeding.
Why - because i was the owner of the car.
I asked for a picture and received a shot of the back of the car without any cleare impression of who was driving.
The NIP arrived on the 13th day so 13 day had elasped between the incident and the NIP.

This is a road that both my partner and i drive down at least 3-4 times a day.
I work from home and she was off on leave and we only had the one car - so could have been either of us.

I stood up in court and stated (under oath) that i did not know which one of use was driving.

I got the concvitction!

I was presumed guilty and found guilty even though we do not know until this day who was driving.The law did not protect me it was all about the money and getting it from me!

So why not have some preventiative measures in place, why not target and inhibit known scum who get away with all sorts, it should not affect normal decent people going about their buisness and may go some way to redressing the balance!

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 January 2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 16 January 2007, 12:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Paul,

In that case you were dealt with incorrectly and it is a poor reflection of the way the law is being applied to motorists. we are getting the thick end of the stick because of the attitude of the government and the PC plonkers who hate us just for being so presumptuous to actually own a car and drive it on the roads. Too much personal freedom for us of course.

We do of course also see that the real criminals are given the maximum leeway in ridiculous proportion that the Human RIghts Act provides although that is never applied in the case of normally law abiding and well behaved middle Britain. It is as though the act is being used as an excuse to be as lenient as possible with criminals.

I agree that its is terrible to see this "Modern" attitude and it is of course totally wrong morally and otherwise. How much would you have risked by attempting to continue your defence I wonder? Modernity seems to be all for the convenience of the authorities and for the inconvenience of the rest of us.

Nevertheless, I still say that accepting hearsay or circumstantial evidence as proof of conviction is a false path to take and would surely be very bad for the people of this country in the long run.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 16 January 2007 at 12:26 PM.