Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

URGENT advice needed on Cat C car...

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2007, 11:41 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT advice needed on Cat C car...

We're JUST about to leave to go and see a CAT C Integra TypeR, even though we know its on the register as Cat C i thought i would HPI check it anyway, just to make sure it was stolen/on finance, etc.

Then find this:-

Recorded against VRM and VIN
Recorded on VCAR Category C Insurance Loss. Vehicle Extensively Damaged But Repairable -Insurer Decided Not To Repair
Description HOND INT
Date 16/04/2002

Recorded against VRM and VIN
Recorded on VCAR Vehicle Recorded As DVLA SCRAPPED MARKER On Condition Alert Regstr
Description HONDA INTEGRA R
Date 02/10/2002

What does the 2nd part actually mean?

Thanks for a quick reply in advance.
Old 13 January 2007, 11:44 AM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro

What does the 2nd part actually mean?
Car was extensively damaged but repairable - Insurer decided not to repair, Hence the car was scrapped.

I think thats what the second part means.
Old 13 January 2007, 11:54 AM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

but shouldnt it have been scrapped i.e. not repaired and put back on the road
Old 13 January 2007, 11:58 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Scrapped marker I think may relate to car as being scrapped. It could be an internal thing.

Condition alert would have automatically come on when the scrapped marker was put on. I think it relates to the vehicle should be inspected and certified that any repair carried out are satisfactory and safe. - if this has been done the car will come with paperwork to prove that.

DVLA should not declare the car is scrap until it has been completely dismantled or crushed.

There have been times where the DVLA have cocked up or assumed the car was scrapped. I had a Rolls Royce that was apparantly scrapped, yet there it was, sitting on the drive, so it was impossible. If it had been scrapped, it had to be totally dismantled or crushed.

Same happened to my Uncle who had a new Jag involved in a serious pile up on the M6. The car was passed for repair by the insurer, but due to the police's heavy in involvement with the inccident (investigations etc), the car was recorded as scrapped.

In both cases, the scrapped ID was lifted, but it may remain on the HPi check for historic reasons.
Old 13 January 2007, 12:00 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Category C cars arent 'scrapped'. Only Category A & B cars have destruction orders and those arent enforcable in any way.
Old 13 January 2007, 12:08 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Should add, keep a close eye on the VIN and engine numbers...it could be ringed (stolen car given the ID of one thats sitting in a scrap yard somewhere).

It probably isn't in this case, but I have to mention it.
Old 13 January 2007, 12:13 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

it means you should walk away,

your trying to save a few hundred quid
the insurers decied to write it off as its an uneconmical propostion.

so somebody managed to get it repaired and put back on the road.

so it has been repaired cheaply, ask yourself whats not been done that a professional bodyshop would do.

also, what about when you sell it, are you going to tell them, also you wil need an engineers report on it.

i bought a cat c golf years ago and when your cleaning it and looking at it it just takes the edge off that feeling of your new car.

Trending Topics

Old 13 January 2007, 12:39 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Just rang HPI to ask some more info. Apparantely, all cars that are Cat C now need to be VIC inspected, this will show on the log book if its been done. If it hasnt been done, then the car should not be on the road.

Waiting to hear from the seller...
Old 13 January 2007, 12:45 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

walk away, i wouldnt **** about for anoter 400 -500 quid

youll get it baaack when you sell it

i think your letting your heart rule your head
Old 13 January 2007, 12:58 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Jacko in all fairness, you dont know how much the car is selling for and how much they sell for when not Cat C. The car is worth the money IF its a VIC inspected Cat C car.

Because of the checks weve done, my head is obviously ruling my heart, otherwise we would be on our way to collect it, regardless.

However, because of the checks weve made, weve decided to give it a VERY wide birth.

The seller rang back and the car hasnt been VIC inspected, therefore, maybe a ringer.

Should add, keep a close eye on the VIN and engine numbers...it could be ringed (stolen car given the ID of one thats sitting in a scrap yard somewhere).

It probably isn't in this case, but I have to mention it.
Unless other evidence of the cars identity becomes available, im with you at the mo. I personally think, the log book is from a car that "should" have been scrapped and the car is either stolen or ringed, etc, vehicle.

Question now is, would you inform the police that a potentially stolen/ringed vehicle is for sale?

Last edited by Boro; 13 January 2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 13 January 2007, 01:10 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

tell uis a few more circumstance about the sale perhaps a link to the autrader website

how much do they
go for,

how much is yours up for.
?

whats his house like is it amobile etc
#
Old 13 January 2007, 01:14 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Boro,

I work in insurance claims.

As Simon (GC8) says, only CAT A & B salvage is described by the insurers engineer as being beyond safe repair (ie should not go back on the road).

A Cat C is a vehicle which is an Economic Total Loss, meaning that the cost of the Insurance repair added to the value of the salvage exceeds the pre-accident value of the vehicle.

In other words, a Cat C can be repaired and put back on the road.

However, I wouldn't consider one if there was no documentation to show what repairs were carried out. The VIC report would have been handy.

Don't think these vehicles should be ruled out if the price sufficiently low and the documents are all present and correct, but I reckon you've made the best decision on this occasion mate.

Andy Mc
Old 13 January 2007, 01:21 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Andy, there has been some good advice and some not so good, lol.
Old 13 January 2007, 01:27 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Andy, there has been some good advice and some not so good, lol.

You're welcome mate.
Old 13 January 2007, 05:05 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Why would anyone buy a Cat C or D car when a good one can be had at reasonable prices? Insurers view is car not worth repairing hence extent of damage vs value of car = not worth it If you were to buy one then sure it's probably cheap however it will be tough to sell on in a market where it's tough to sell on a good car!!

TX.
Old 13 January 2007, 05:47 PM
kevp
Scooby Regular

On a cat C the scrap marker is nothing to worry about. Only problem that you will have is when you try to take the vehicle for a MOT before the VIC (vehicle identity check) is done. Without the check, the garage doing the MOT will refuse the test as the marker will show up.
When you take the car to VOSA for the VIC they only check all engine chassis numbers etc with what the DVLA hold (just making sure its the same car going back on the road), along with a very quick inspection of the work carried out (what you have declared on the VIC1 form). This test only takes 10 mins.
VOSA leave the roadworthyness (?) of the vehicle to the MOT Tester. I have carried this out on over 8 cars now and have had no problems what so ever

Hope this helps a bit

Kev

Here is what the VIC is all about, along with the form you will need to fill in
Old 13 January 2007, 05:53 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

1. The reason someone would buy a Cat C/D car is you get alot of car for the money and providing the repairs are of a good standard, there shouldnt be much difference between a repaired one and a genuine one, apart from a couple of grand $$$.

2. The reason insurance companied view the extent of the repair so high is because BRAND NEW genuine parts are used. Ever rang a dealer for a new part? Not cheap. Ever rang a car breaker for the same part? ALOT cheaper.

These write-offs are sometimes only ever written off because of the cost of the parts, not becase the arent road worthy.

Cat C or D cars arent any harder to sell on, providing the are decent quality and priced properly.
Old 13 January 2007, 06:09 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Kev.

The cars accident was 10/2002, i believe this was before the introduction of the VIC, which i think was sometime in 2003. Im assuming because the cars accident was before the introduction, it may not have to have it. Does that sound right?
Old 13 January 2007, 06:11 PM
kevp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Why would anyone buy a Cat C or D car when a good one can be had at reasonable prices? Insurers view is car not worth repairing hence extent of damage vs value of car = not worth it If you were to buy one then sure it's probably cheap however it will be tough to sell on in a market where it's tough to sell on a good car!!

TX.
One example - I bought a 2001 Astra Coupe (cat C) for the sum of £1100.
Parts I needed:
Headlight, as it was badly scuffed - £11.50 - delivered, bargain (Ebay)
Front bumper needed a quick fix (Bad scuffs and a small split), got a mint bumper inc fogs £80 delivered (Ebay)
N/S wing, got a perfect colour match £20 (local breakers)
N/S wishbone - £15 (Ebay)
N/S Anti Roll Bar Link (£5 for a pair) again from Ebay
Rear N/S wheel arch was flatened - Free (got a mate to sort that )
VIC and MOT - £85.35
Total cost inc. Car £1316.85
Ok stick 6 months road tax on and its a bit over £1400
The car is being sold next week for £3500, everything declared to the future owner inc. photographs of - Before - Work in progress

Cat C write offs can be great buys
Kev
Old 13 January 2007, 06:23 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Good work Kev!

So, would a car damaged in 2002 need a VIC?
Old 13 January 2007, 06:25 PM
kevp
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Kev.

The cars accident was 10/2002, i believe this was before the introduction of the VIC, which i think was sometime in 2003. Im assuming because the cars accident was before the introduction, it may not have to have it. Does that sound right?
I think that even the car had the bump before 2003 it still requires VIC
Dont quote me on that though, a quick call to VOSA is needed I think

I always contact the DVLA first just to make sure a VIC is needed, as sometimes the agents get it wrong they may have listed as cat C but is a cat D (cat D does not require VIC)
Old 13 January 2007, 06:34 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

1. The reason someone would buy a Cat C/D car is you get alot of car for the money and providing the repairs are of a good standard, there shouldnt be much difference between a repaired one and a genuine one, apart from a couple of grand $$$.

2. The reason insurance companied view the extent of the repair so high is because BRAND NEW genuine parts are used. Ever rang a dealer for a new part? Not cheap. Ever rang a car breaker for the same part? ALOT cheaper.

These write-offs are sometimes only ever written off because of the cost of the parts, not becase the arent road worthy.

Cat C or D cars arent any harder to sell on, providing the are decent quality and priced properly.
too right!!
recently bought a car that was Cat 'C'. Damage was to rear end..
needed new/replacement Slam-panel, rear light.
have a spare bumper (albeit a different colour to put on, but its got its original one on at the moment)
new /replacement Tailgate..(its not a scoob)
and a bit of bodywork /filler etc to rear panel.

tailgate... £25 from local breakers
slam panel £15
light £10 (breakers)
still touch of bodywork to be done and into shop to be sprayed, but for what is 'relatively' a 2 Grand motor , i paid a TENTH of that, and £50 for parts
its been VIC checked and is on the road, LEGAL,(VIC Test Costs £36.00) and scaring the **** out of most cars it comes up against

Last edited by hectic; 13 January 2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 13 January 2007, 06:35 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Not sure how the car has a v5 and has been taxed since 2002 if its hasnt had a VIC if it was needed. A rang and spoke to the DVLA and although they couldnt comment about the exact car in question (data protection), i said what about MY protection, i might be buying a car that should have been scrapped!

He did tell me with a nudge and a wink that i wouldnt have any trouble getting it registered in my name if i did buy it. I think he was trying to tell me something without saying it.
Old 13 January 2007, 06:38 PM
kevp
Scooby Regular

Another I had:
1996 BMW 318ti - Bought £400
New bonnet, N/S wing, Headlight along with a new Grill inc paint £350
Total £750 add Tax, MOT and VIC - Under a Grand
Drove it for three months then done a straight swap for my 95 WRX Wagon, which has not had an insurance claim against it
Again everything declared to the new owner

The bargains are there

Kev
Old 13 January 2007, 06:39 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

if you 'word' the questions correctly when talking to the 'very niceman' at the DVLA, 'he' can be EXTREMELY helpfull
Old 13 January 2007, 06:44 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

rang and spoke to the DVLA and although they couldnt comment about the exact car in question (data protection), i said what about MY protection, i might be buying a car that should have been scrapped!
That's just typical of numpties (the dvla person you spoke to) who do not understand data protection laws. The laws protect data about individuals. A car is not an individual therefore they should tell you. What they can't tell you is the owners details (name, address etc.) but they can tell you info about the vehicle that's not person related. Tell them this next time you speak to them, speak to their manager etc. until you get someone who knows their job.
Old 13 January 2007, 06:56 PM
kevp
Scooby Regular

Not sure how the car has a v5 and has been taxed since 2002 if its hasnt had a VIC if it was needed. A rang and spoke to the DVLA and although they couldnt comment about the exact car in question (data protection), i said what about MY protection, i might be buying a car that should have been scrapped!

He did tell me with a nudge and a wink that i wouldnt have any trouble getting it registered in my name if i did buy it. I think he was trying to tell me something without saying it.

You should not have any problems, if it was not to be on the road I think they would have told you. (once you got it they will tell you everything.)

You have done the best thing you could have possibly done - making an enquiry

Kev
Old 13 January 2007, 07:00 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Just "by the by". We (insurers) used to write off older cars for a bumper and a wing ! If the car's only worth a few hundred quid and you allow for labour and VAT on the repair, it doesn't take much to write off a banger !

So, CAT C does not mean " I wouldn't touch it with yours". Instead it means "Wear a condom" (take care !).
Old 13 January 2007, 07:08 PM
kevp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Just "by the by". We (insurers) used to write off older cars for a bumper and a wing ! If the car's only worth a few hundred quid and you allow for labour and VAT on the repair, it doesn't take much to write off a banger !

So, CAT C does not mean " I wouldn't touch it with yours". Instead it means "Wear a condom" (take care !).
Thats one way of putting it - "CLASSIC"

Our neighbour had his 95 Mondeo written off when somebody stuffed a screwdriver in to his door lock. The repair would have been looked at as - New door skin Lock Set, Spray Job (most of one side) god knows how much labour @ about £80 plus vat per hour The garages know how to lay the extra cost on when insurance is paying

Kev
Old 13 January 2007, 07:37 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevp
Thats one way of putting it - "CLASSIC"

Our neighbour had his 95 Mondeo written off when somebody stuffed a screwdriver in to his door lock. The repair would have been looked at as - New door skin Lock Set, Spray Job (most of one side) god knows how much labour @ about £80 plus vat per hour The garages know how to lay the extra cost on when insurance is paying

Kev

(You could get a half decent prozzy for £80 an hour !)

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 13 January 2007 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: URGENT advice needed on Cat C car...