Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

limted companies

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2007, 09:09 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default limted companies

does anyone know what advantages there are to forming a limited company for tax reasons ??? i have been advised by my accountant that i need to form one but i dont really know what they involve!!! and if i have to pay myself a wage how much can i pay myself ????
Old 11 January 2007, 09:18 PM
Del T
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
does anyone know what advantages there are to forming a limited company for tax reasons ??? i have been advised by my accountant that i need to form one but i dont really know what they involve!!! and if i have to pay myself a wage how much can i pay myself ????
You can avoid paying 40% tax by claiming a lower wage topped up by a dividend on which you pay 19% corporation tax! - I think. Thats what my accountant told me anyway.
Old 11 January 2007, 09:55 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Also bear in mind that you can get somewhere in the region of £34000 tax free in the form of dividends, double that if you partner/wife does the same. So essentially if you earnt £80k you'd only really pay corporation tax. (plus some nominal tax and NIC)
Old 11 January 2007, 10:03 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

so how often can i pay myself dividends ???
Old 11 January 2007, 10:14 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

You also get allowances for things you can claim back again tax. Eg if you plan on your home being your 'office' (doesnt mean you have to work there all the time if you are a contractor for example) but you can claim back again heating bills and phone bills etc.

Its annoying having to do a tax return though, although Im sure your account will be quick to point out that he can do that for you! ($$)
Old 11 January 2007, 10:33 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
so how often can i pay myself dividends ???
As much and as often as you like as long as you record it.
Old 11 January 2007, 10:40 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'd get a decent accountant to check and okay your dividends - We had a wee hiccup (advise from bad accountant) and had to pay some back - Oops!

Need to do a bit of bookwork but it's well worth doing.

Must do personal tax return VERY soon or I'm doomed!

Trending Topics

Old 11 January 2007, 10:41 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Del T
You can avoid paying 40% tax by claiming a lower wage topped up by a dividend on which you pay 19% corporation tax! - I think. Thats what my accountant told me anyway.
Yep - that's about right - expect to pay your accountant about 2% of TURNOVER but ours is a diamond - keeps it all sorted. Pay yourself a low wage and a dividend (you'll need 2 shareholders I think, one MD and a company secretary at least. that is how we are set up - each owning 50% of the company) the dividends are enough to pay for mortgage, bills, meals out whenever we like, Subaru WRX PPP MY04 and Beemer, at least two o/seas hols a year, two staff and a bunch of contractors - still leaves a shed load of cash building up in the business

It is every mans duty to pay taxes but it is every mans right to reduce the amount of tax he pays. Tax avoidance is legal - tax evasion is a different matter - be careful. If you cross the line expect no mercy
Old 11 January 2007, 10:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

i pay a fortune a week in tax and i still owe more after my return was done
Old 11 January 2007, 10:49 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Play your cards right and running a limited company will make your personal finances go a LOT further - Claiming expenses, taking out minimal salary, dividends, etc, etc.

Play your card wrong and you get busted - Which is annoying.
Old 11 January 2007, 10:51 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Play your cards right and running a limited company will make your personal finances go a LOT further - Claiming expenses, taking out minimal salary, dividends, etc, etc.

Play your card wrong and you get busted - Which is annoying.
Matteeboy rhymns with Batty boy ! Coincidence ?? I think not
Old 11 January 2007, 10:57 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Be advised that many of the benefits of being a ltd company are changing - the lovely Mr Brown has realised he's missing out on some tax
Old 11 January 2007, 11:01 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Nido
Be advised that many of the benefits of being a ltd company are changing - the lovely Mr Brown has realised he's missing out on some tax
More reason behind getting a good accountant

If he squeezes too hard we'll relocate HQ elsewhere and pay F uck all into the pot.
Old 11 January 2007, 11:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Matteeboy rhymns with Batty boy ! Coincidence ?? I think not

Je ne comprends...

Was my comment gay in some way?!
Old 11 January 2007, 11:05 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Petem95
You also get allowances for things you can claim back again tax. Eg if you plan on your home being your 'office' (doesnt mean you have to work there all the time if you are a contractor for example) but you can claim back again heating bills and phone bills etc.

Its annoying having to do a tax return though, although Im sure your account will be quick to point out that he can do that for you! ($$)
I'm not Limited, but Self Employed and I can claim those too
Old 11 January 2007, 11:05 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Yep - that's about right - expect to pay your accountant about 2% of TURNOVER but ours is a diamond - keeps it all sorted. Pay yourself a low wage and a dividend (you'll need 2 shareholders I think, one MD and a company secretary at least. that is how we are set up - each owning 50% of the company)
On dividends up to the higher rate tax bracket you pay no additional personal tax, only the 19% Corporation Tax on the profits that generated them. Strictly you pay 10% but get a 10% tax credit, actually. Over the higher-rate bracket you effectively pay 25% personal tax on the net dividend amount, and of course the 19% CT on the profits that allowed it to be paid.

You don't need 2 shareholders. You need two company officers. You must have a director and a company secretary, and they cannot be the same person. Although the company secretary can also be a director, but not the sole director. You can have as many or as few shareholders as you want.

If your turnover exceeds a certain amount (£59,000 I think) you'll have to register for VAT. You'll also need a company bank account, and to register for PAYE. You'll need to do annual returns to companies house and pay your CT within 9 months of your company's financial year end. You'll need to pay VAT quarterly and PAYE monthly, although small companies can apply for quarterly PAYE payments. You'll also need some mandatory insurance: public liability and employer's liability. The latter is a bit of a farce because as a director you'll be prohibited from ever claiming on it.
Old 11 January 2007, 11:15 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by carl
On dividends up to the higher rate tax bracket you pay no additional personal tax, only the 19% Corporation Tax on the profits that generated them. Strictly you pay 10% but get a 10% tax credit, actually. Over the higher-rate bracket you effectively pay 25% personal tax on the net dividend amount, and of course the 19% CT on the profits that allowed it to be paid.

You don't need 2 shareholders. You need two company officers. You must have a director and a company secretary, and they cannot be the same person. Although the company secretary can also be a director, but not the sole director. You can have as many or as few shareholders as you want.

If your turnover exceeds a certain amount (£59,000 I think) you'll have to register for VAT. You'll also need a company bank account, and to register for PAYE. You'll need to do annual returns to companies house and pay your CT within 9 months of your company's financial year end. You'll need to pay VAT quarterly and PAYE monthly, although small companies can apply for quarterly PAYE payments. You'll also need some mandatory insurance: public liability and employer's liability. The latter is a bit of a farce because as a director you'll be prohibited from ever claiming on it.
Correct - and that is how we are set up - just put far more eloquently than i did - thanks dude !
Old 11 January 2007, 11:29 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

"If your turnover exceeds a certain amount (£59,000 I think) "

not allways - i turn over many times that amount but am not VAt registered.