Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How not to upgrade your home cinema system

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2007, 12:54 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How not to upgrade your home cinema system

Just thought I’ll share my experiences of upgrading my home cinema system (and kill some time). As I know reading about someone’s misfortune tends to brighten your own day up.

A couple of months ago the dvd player included in the sony dav550 system started playing up. I took it to a repairer and was told it would cost £100 to fix it, it had a dirty laser of something.
I didn’t fancy paying that out for an old system as I could buy a new dvd player for less, I didn’t really want to spend a lot on upgrading the full system at this time.

So I started searching for a new player, one with a 5.1 channel output, to replace the old one. (Some of you may already see my first problem).
I decided on a pioneer 696. When it arrived I can remember thinking its small and very light compared to the old one. (I was still unaware)
The plugs on the speaker cables of the sony system are strange so I cut them off and replaced them with standard phonos.
Plugged everything in then sat back ready to go through the speaker setup procedure, odd it doesn’t have one. (I was STILL unaware)
So I played a dvd and only then did I realise the sound wasn’t being amplified.
Bugger it hasn’t got a built in amp.

After a bit of time searching I bought a denon 1507. So I am now connecting the old 5.1 speakers to this amp, I had to cut off the phonos I soldered on, as you screw these in, anyway I got to the subwoofer and this is a phono output only it’s a pre amp output, bloody great I now need a new sub or an amp for the sub.

The missus is like “It would have been cheaper to have the old one repaired looking back, you could have even bought a whole system for less”, thanks love.

This is as far as I have got, I will run a non sub setup until I can afford a decent set of speakers.

Old 11 January 2007, 02:19 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Oops

Remember kids, phono plugs are line level, not amplified

Anyhoo, seperate DVD player and A/V reciever is the better way to go over combo units
Old 11 January 2007, 02:40 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

Anyhoo, seperate DVD player and A/V reciever is the better way to go over combo units

Thats what I kept telling the missus. I've got my eye on a set of Kef 1005's.