Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Calling all SN watch gurus

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2007, 05:05 PM
k.b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all SN watch gurus

Right folks i have a wee task for some of the watch fanatics on here.

21 birthday this year and my mum asked me what i would like so i came up with the idea of a nice watch.the budget is £300ish,more if it was required for a nicer watch but not by too much.

i know you guys are more into the expensive gear but im sure you will know of good watches for this sort of money.

i would prefer something with a metal strap(no gold) but other than that im open to just about anything.

cheers in advance.
Old 01 January 2007, 05:39 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

Storm do some great watches for much less than your budget. I've got a few and I love them
Old 01 January 2007, 05:47 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Not a guru but I knows what I like...
In that budget a Citizen Calibre 8700 in blue with a bracelet.
BL8000-54L

Citizen BL8000-54L Men's 8700 Calibre Perpetual Calendar Stainless Steel Hot-Watch
Old 01 January 2007, 06:08 PM
tony95
Scooby Regular

if you can get a patek phillipe grand complication for 300 buy it(might be a little over budget).
back in the real world a nice tag or a raymond weil could fit the bill.
Old 01 January 2007, 07:24 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Need to say more what you want, chrono, divers, dress etc etc.
If it was me I'd be more inclined to get a used watch name such as Tag or a limited edition from one of the smaller watch companies. All the main players such as Seiko, Tissot etc have watches at that price but second hand is much better value.
Old 01 January 2007, 07:37 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

For that sort of budget, you wouldn't go far wrong with a Seiko. Maybe a Kinetic/Arctura model?
Old 01 January 2007, 07:46 PM
k.b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alas
Need to say more what you want, chrono, divers, dress etc etc.
like i say im open to ideas,something that works as a dress watch or just for daily use aswell.

would appreciate pictures if anyone can be arsed to do that much either that or specific model names.

cheers folks

Trending Topics

Old 01 January 2007, 07:49 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Something like this?
eBay.co.uk: NEW SEIKO SPORTURA KINETIC TITANIUM AUTO RELAY SMA171P1 (item 280065024548 end time 03-Jan-07 00:15:00 GMT)

Not me selling btw.
Old 01 January 2007, 07:50 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Citizen

Alternate Smart Seiko
Old 01 January 2007, 07:55 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

I've got this one, my G/F got it for me for christmas. 5000 world wide.

Old 01 January 2007, 08:09 PM
k.b
Scooby Regular

i quite like the citizen that HankScorpio posted so something along those lines.

i have also found this citizen Citizen BL8030-53A and a seiko chrono Seiko Gents Chronograph SNA525P1

opinions on these?
Old 01 January 2007, 08:24 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Raymond Weil - always good
Old 01 January 2007, 08:39 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

The Seiko looks quite nice. Very much inspired by the Breitling Chrono Cockpit (and the now-discontinued Crosswind) models which can't be a bad thing:

Seiko is a great brand too - I've recently sold my latest Breitling after a few years of ownership and am currently happily wearing the Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay which I've had since 2000. I put it on after around 3 years since I last wore it and it immediately set itself to the correct time - it was about innacurate by about 16 seconds! Amazing!
Old 01 January 2007, 09:15 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I've had a couple of Seikos and have never had a problem with them. I sometimes revert back to my trusty 7 year old Seiko Kinetic when my main watch is off for a service etc. Even if the Kinetic hasn't run for a year or so, it starts up perfectly when you move it and keeps perfect time.

No personal experience with Citizen but they're are supposed to be pretty good. I bought an Eco-Drive for my Mum in the summer and she's been very happy with it, IIRC my cousin has a Citizen pilots watch (also an Eco-Drive) and he's very happy with that too.
Old 01 January 2007, 09:21 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Yoza is the man to speak to

Chip
Old 01 January 2007, 10:45 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Poljot Sturmanski Gagarin Model

FEATURES AND SPECIFICATIONS

3133 movement - 23 jewels
Water resistant 3 ATM.
Clear crystal back
Stainless steel case
Mineral crystal
Advanced stopwatch functions
Diameter 40mm/thickness 12mm
Luminous hands and numbers
Accuracy from -10/+20 seconds/day
Quality leather strap
User manual in English

Price: £265.00

Delivery: 5 - 7 days (UK)

(click the watch for a direct link)
Old 02 January 2007, 03:01 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
Poljot Sturmanski Gagarin Model
I have this watch but need to send it back for fixing as it has the following problems. Shame as it is a lovely looking watch.

1) There are small particles trapped under the glass front around where the numbers are located

2) The chronograph second hand does not move consistently and often sticks (usually near the 3 o'clock position)

3) When the chronograph 2nd hand is stopped with the top pusher it is still able to move if the watch is shaken.

4) The crown is bent and does not turn smoothly. I think it is rubbing against the watch case.
Old 02 January 2007, 11:40 AM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't fancy a Poljot myself. The quality is variable it seems - some are great but quite a few people seem to have problems. Plus Poljot stopped using the Swiss ETA movements they used to stick in them, because ETA got too expensive. But some people swear by them. A bit like a clio 182.

Quartz or mechanical? Quartz watches are more accurate and cheaper, but lack the cachet of a clockwork mechanical watch. As a rule. There are top-end quartz watches for a grand or more if you want but most expensive watches are clockwork.

I like both. I just bought a Junghans Mega 1000, which is a retro quartz digital radio controlled watch (rrp 270, can be had for 200-240 odd) - it syncs every night with a radio time signal. I needed one watch that would always be right! My everyday watch is a Sinn 356.

You can get a quality mechanical watch for your budget. At that price the movement will probably be ETA or Valjoux, two Swiss watch movement makers that make the insides of most Swiss mech watches. The Valjoux 7750, for example, can be had in watches from 400 to 2000+.

If I had 300 notes to spend on a watch, I'd be looking at something German or italian rather than Russian. Aristo watches are good value... these ETA-movement automatics are 160 and 270 odd:

Ollech & Wais are excellent value german mechanical automatics... 150 for this Swiss movement, German made oyster-style

www.chronomaster.co.uk is a good site to see various mechanical watches, but they sell very few quartz watches. Or modern Storm-style ones.

Depends what you like. For a big birthday I'd be thinking about something that will last rather than a fashion watch.
Old 02 January 2007, 05:21 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James Neill
I have this watch but need to send it back for fixing as it has the following problems. Shame as it is a lovely looking watch.

1) There are small particles trapped under the glass front around where the numbers are located

2) The chronograph second hand does not move consistently and often sticks (usually near the 3 o'clock position)

3) When the chronograph 2nd hand is stopped with the top pusher it is still able to move if the watch is shaken.

4) The crown is bent and does not turn smoothly. I think it is rubbing against the watch case.
I have heard only good until this point?

are you sure it isnt just a one off with yours?
Old 02 January 2007, 06:01 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

If you go somewhere like Goldsmiths outlet (There is one in Swindon) you could pick up a really nice watch for that budget. Tags would come in around 425 but certainly get a higher end Seiko. Juts last seasons models.
Old 02 January 2007, 06:10 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

I'm no guru, but recently turned 21 and have a small chunk of money (~£500) to splash on a watch.

I started looking at Gucci, but figured I'd be too scared of scratching it (they're around £700-800) when out:

I've found a few nice Emporio Armani in your budget:

£225:

£195:

£175:

£195:

DKNY - £125:

D&G - £170:

Might not be your style, but I'd take any of them.

Think I'll go with a cheaper option and treat myself to something else too.
Old 02 January 2007, 06:38 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
I have heard only good until this point?

are you sure it isnt just a one off with yours?
Yes, that is entirely possible. This is the only Poljot I have.
Old 02 January 2007, 10:31 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

What about Tissot? They have some nice models in this sort of price range.

Quality Watches, Designer Watches, Wrist Watches, Fashion Watches - Tissot Gents

Quality Watches, Designer Watches, Wrist Watches, Fashion Watches - Tissot Gents

Dave
Old 02 January 2007, 10:41 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G-STAR
Gucci....Emporio Armani....DKNY....D&G
Why buy a watch from a clothing company?
Old 03 January 2007, 12:41 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Totally agree,

Look at Tissot or I believe there may be a couple of Briel watches available for the money.

Had the chance of a Nicky Hayden Tissot before he won the moto GP title... wish I had bought it now.

John.
Old 03 January 2007, 06:49 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Partly because they're brands I can relate to and like being associated with, and partly because I'm not (and have never been) a watch type of guy.
Old 03 January 2007, 07:17 PM
wrxginge
Scooby Regular

What about an Oris?
Old 03 January 2007, 07:20 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G-STAR
Partly because they're brands I can relate to and like being associated with, and partly because I'm not (and have never been) a watch type of guy.
Fair enough G thats your choice but remember this...

Your Armani/D&G watch will be built using relatively cheap mechanism.
A Tissot/Briel Seiko etc of a similar price will have a far superior mechanism and will probably give you many more years of reliable service.
I've got an old Seiko Diver watch that I use for work now, this thing is circa 20 years old, first "real" watch I ever owned, apart from a couple of straps ( their rubber being a divers watch) and a couple of batteries it has never missed a beat.

John.
Old 03 January 2007, 09:27 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New To Scoob
Fair enough G thats your choice but remember this...

Your Armani/D&G watch will be built using relatively cheap mechanism.
A Tissot/Briel Seiko etc of a similar price will have a far superior mechanism and will probably give you many more years of reliable service.
I've got an old Seiko Diver watch that I use for work now, this thing is circa 20 years old, first "real" watch I ever owned, apart from a couple of straps ( their rubber being a divers watch) and a couple of batteries it has never missed a beat.

John.
If I have to shell out another couple of hundred for another watch in 3-5 years time, I'll not go hungry.

That said, I appreciate the concern.
Old 04 January 2007, 12:15 AM
Seamaster
BANNED

None of those DKNY, Armani watches will have cost more than $8.00 trade to buy. They are "catalogue" watches made in China etc and whatever brand name stuck on. Cheap nasty rubbish sold in naf jewellers. A minimum of 2 thousand pieces will give you custom boxing and logo etc. I did a order myself and did well from it !

No class and worth nothing to any "Watch Guru" . for that money yopu couls buy a watch with a better movement and more class. Scoobynet seems to have many TAG fans (£150.00 to change a battery !! Mugs !! all they do is a quick clean and new seal and some silicon type compound on the winder stem and the thread of the back.Less than 5 mins work.Quick dip in a bucket of water to see if any bubbles leak !

One of the best rip offs going.

But if all your interested in is Chav bling........ dont let me stop you !

Oris: Lots of trouble with these. Tissot have moved forward and doing well. Check ebay out for Omegas.But stay away from the "007's" just about everyone a fake. Seiko 5's and their premier range "lasale" are great for the money.

Last edited by Seamaster; 04 January 2007 at 12:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Calling all SN watch gurus