Bloke taking photos in public today

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2006, 05:27 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bloke taking photos in public today

Just walking through a mall today with the kids, and saw a flash go off

I turned around and some bloke was taking pictures of what looked like the fragrance shop, but not loads of pictures, about 3 in total he took

Now he had a fairly decent SLR & Camera bag, no tripod tho, but he looked a bit scruffy (David Bailey kind IYKWIM)

But I wasnt overly happy that he was taking pictures, as I saw no evidence of any kind of press pass, or ID etc, or signs up saying that photos are being taken etc etc, and a few other parents looked slightly concerned too

Now if he had pointed the camera in the direction of us & the kids, I would have definately gone over to him and had a few words, and demand that any pictures be erased

Am I within my rights to do this, or is anyone ok walking round taking pictures, he wasnt hiding the fact he was taking pictures either really

When I am out and about with my camera, I make sure I dont get other people (especially kids) in shot, and at other public places I have been to, photographers / video-ers have asked parents permission before shooting
Old 23 December 2006, 05:45 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to say without seeing it, he might have actually been working for someone you will probably never know now, but as he wasn't trying to hide the fact i doubt he was up to anything untoward.
Old 23 December 2006, 05:48 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Made me think of this thread.https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ers.html<br />
Old 23 December 2006, 05:52 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Could've worked for the mall or shop itself. Photos of the shops in the mall to put on their website or an advert maybe? Same for the shop if its a franchise. Seems like theres a few questions and possibility.
Old 23 December 2006, 05:55 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Perhaps he is trying candid photography but, if that were the case I would expect that if it was possible, after the shot was taken he would explain what he was doing. If he is going to use the photo commercially and a person is clearly identifiable, then normally a model release is required, stating that consent was given.
Old 23 December 2006, 05:55 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

The legal side isn't particularly clear in the UK, but summed up here http://www.sirimo.co.uk/media/UKPhotographersRights.pdf

Certainly there is nothing in law to stop someone taking pictures of other people. I know that sometimes schools will ban photography, or insist that no photography takes place unless specific consent has been given, but I'm not so sure that they can actually do that if it is a public place.

The key is being considerate.
Old 23 December 2006, 06:15 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Your in a mall, presumably parked your car in the mall carpark? Been into a few shops perhaps? How many times do you think you've been recorded on cctv in the time of your visit there? And you're worried about a bloke openly taking pictures of a shop near you!

Trending Topics

Old 23 December 2006, 06:47 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
Your in a mall, presumably parked your car in the mall carpark? Been into a few shops perhaps? How many times do you think you've been recorded on cctv in the time of your visit there? And you're worried about a bloke openly taking pictures of a shop near you!
Yes in a Mall, no I didnt park my car in the Mall Car Park, no didnt go in a few shops, may have been recorded/monitored on the cctv cameras

But this wasnt cctv this was a bloke with a high powered DSLR with zoom lens

I certainly would have asked him some questions had the camera been pointing at me

He more than likley was working for someone, the mall, the shop etc as you say

But im not overly keen on the idea of people taking 'pics of me and the kids' without good reason
Old 23 December 2006, 06:55 PM
JohnHamer1977
Scooby Regular

I took photos of a few shops when I was looking for a premises to open my beauty salon.
Old 23 December 2006, 07:16 PM
Sauron
Scooby Regular

It is not illegal to take photographs of people in a public place.
Well not yet anyway.
The mall owners could stop him taking photos as it is private property, not public.
I hope we do not have another subscriber to the Ken Livingstone school of thought in that “Anyone with a camera taking photos at a tourist spot in London is obviously a paedophile”.
The police have distanced themselves a little from Red ken on this point otherwise every tourist visiting London would have to be arrested.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-18689890-details/Paedophile+warning+in+London's+parks/article.do;jsessionid=TJZqFNRVcP82D1xJf2bNrGvjLxQG ZyX4pkZlnbpLcGWyClQJvx59!-81402767.
If you’re that worried about your kids being photographed in public dress them in a Burqa when leaving the house.
All this paranoia is ruining the country.
Heaven help Henri Cartier-Bresson (Henri Cartier-Bresson) he would not be a happy man living in this country.
photographing children in public - DPChallenge Forums
Old 23 December 2006, 07:21 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
Yes in a Mall, no I didnt park my car in the Mall Car Park, no didnt go in a few shops, may have been recorded/monitored on the cctv cameras

But this wasnt cctv this was a bloke with a high powered DSLR with zoom lens

I certainly would have asked him some questions had the camera been pointing at me

He more than likley was working for someone, the mall, the shop etc as you say

But im not overly keen on the idea of people taking 'pics of me and the kids' without good reason
What were you doing in a mall if you didn't go in any shops?
A "high powered DSLR" with "zoom lens" eh? WOW! Scary stuff indeed!
Asked him questions? You are very paranoid aren't you sonic?
And by your own description, he wasn't taking pictures of you and the kids.
Next time, wear a hoodie, then know one can film you
Old 23 December 2006, 07:24 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I think everyone should just blooming calm down about all this nonsense..who cares if he was taking pictures.

stuff like this leads to why you cant take pictures of your own kids in the swimming pool, without the bloody managers permission.

it is just getting out of hand, I am sure people can make their own judgement calls on what is right and not right.
Old 23 December 2006, 07:30 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I think everyone should just blooming calm down about all this nonsense..who cares if he was taking pictures.

stuff like this leads to why you cant take pictures of your own kids in the swimming pool, without the bloody managers permission.

it is just getting out of hand, I am sure people can make their own judgement calls on what is right and not right.
I agree! What the ****'s up with the world if someone can't take photos! I think Sonic is afraid it'll steal his soul.
Old 23 December 2006, 07:39 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I agree! What the ****'s up with the world if someone can't take photos! I think Sonic is afraid it'll steal his soul.

Ill post all them candid pictures of little frank up then shall I bubba, and I dont mean on this forum
Old 23 December 2006, 07:42 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Edited.

Last edited by Bubba po; 23 December 2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 23 December 2006, 07:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its an emotive subject, isnt it?

Last edited by GC8; 23 December 2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 23 December 2006, 07:44 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

see this is just a perfect example at how things get out of hand
Old 23 December 2006, 07:47 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

What the hell is that supposed to mean, by the way?
Old 23 December 2006, 07:47 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
What were you doing in a mall if you didn't go in any shops?
A "high powered DSLR" with "zoom lens" eh? WOW! Scary stuff indeed!
Asked him questions? You are very paranoid aren't you sonic?
And by your own description, he wasn't taking pictures of you and the kids.
Next time, wear a hoodie, then know one can film you
My original post was asking was I withinn my rights to ask what he was doing, and could i demand to see his pitures, have them erased if of the kids etc

people have been arrested and charged for taking pictures in shopping malls before now

I wasnt overly concerned as he wasnt pointing the camera at me, but like i said (and if you read my original post you will see this) I asked

'Am I within my rights to do this, or is anyone ok walking round taking pictures, he wasnt hiding the fact he was taking pictures either really'

Im not paranoid, nor am I afraid, he was on his own randomly taking the odd picture, I was a bit curious as to why, and wondered where I stood if I questioned him

I have previously been assaulted by 3 blokes for taking an innocent picture of a very panoramic shot of a high street (marketing survey) I had my camera stolen, and the film taken out and destroyed in front of me

The police arrested them for assault, and they came with me when I had to re-shoot the pictures (this was before all the mass hysteria about people taking pictures)

The main guy who started the assault, was a butcher, employed several lackies who were also claiming benefits, and he had raw meat on a livestock wagon, and he thought I was the DSS or Health & Saftey spying on him

His assault on me, caused all this to come out in the open
Old 23 December 2006, 07:49 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I can't think why anyone would wish to assault you, Sonic.
Old 23 December 2006, 07:53 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

What the hell is that supposed to mean, by the way?
Its supposed to mean that your obviuosly not against people taking photos in public of yourself or LF, and that you think that I am paranoid about it, that wasnt the point of this thread

if it was you out shopping with LF, and someone had taken some pictures, they could be all over the internet by now, but judging by your comments, you wouldnt be that bothered, hence my comment

I dont have pictures of LF but could quite easily have done so inadvertently, on the pictures i have taken in the past when I have seen you all out and about together
Old 23 December 2006, 07:56 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

If someone pointed a camera at me or my family I'd want to know why, but by your own admission he was doing nothing of the kind. I'd appreciate it if you would delete your comment because I find it extremely offensive.
Old 23 December 2006, 08:00 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

If someone pointed a camera at me or my family I'd want to know why, but by your own admission he was doing nothing of the kind. I'd appreciate it if you would delete your comment because I find it extremely offensive.
I know he was doing nothing of the kind to me, he was taking pitures of some people with children, and he was stood behind me about 2 feet away

but all of a sudden every one has jumped on the im paranoid bandwagon, and that wasnt the point of my thread, Ive said why I posted the thread

My post about LF just demonstrates a point nothing more
Old 23 December 2006, 08:07 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I have a hobby that involves taking photographs which other people might find a bit odd, if someone came up to me and politely asked why I was taking the photographs I would be happy to explain and if necessary show them the photos. Most genuine photographers will not have a problem, if they do get defensive then maybe there could be something a bit more sinister behind it, not always paedophilia - when I worked in the Post Office we could not let anyone take photos in case it was in preparation for a robbery etc.
Old 23 December 2006, 08:11 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Thanks Lydia, that was my point, asking if I am within my rights to ask why photographs are being taken

I know in the majority of cases there wouldnt be a problem, and a good reason for taking photographs, but I wasn't the only parent who was looking a bit puzzled as to why they were being taken

there could of been a multitude of reasons for the guy taking the photographs all legitimate
Old 23 December 2006, 08:12 PM
Curse of the Rushing Gimp
Scooby Regular

what a really stupid thread. a guy taking pics lol

Next time i go on holiday i'll ask the whole beach to 'do one' when i take a pic of my misses with a cornetto for fear of fools like u sonic getting paranoid about a camera. pathetic

Last edited by Curse of the Rushing Gimp; 23 December 2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 23 December 2006, 08:14 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Madness

Why not give them veils to wear ( ) as you are clearly insanely paranoid

better still- kill everyone.
Problem solved
Old 23 December 2006, 08:17 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Curse of the Rushing Gimp
what a really stupid thread. a guy taking pics lol

Next time i go on holiday i'll ask the whole beach to 'do one' when i take a pic of my misses with a cornetto for fear of fools like u sonic getting paranoid about a camera. pathetic
Seems you cant read
Old 23 December 2006, 08:17 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak

Madness

Why not give them veils to wear ( ) as you are clearly insanely paranoid

better still- kill everyone.
Problem solved
Seems you cant read either
Old 23 December 2006, 08:20 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

I can read perfectly thank you.
Personally I think you are barking mad.

And you started the thread, so don't start moaning and insulting people if you don't get the responses you would prefer.

Unless of course the shop was under 4 years old, in which case I say hang him

Quick Reply: Bloke taking photos in public today