Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A question for fathers

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2006, 02:20 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A question for fathers

This morning I was waiting to get a haircut. The guy being attended to had a very young child with him, 3 or 4 would be my guess. This young 'un was getting restless while Dad was busy and ran out of the barber's to sit on one of those coin operated rides. At some point the guy looks round and can't see his kid. "He's over there on the ride, mate", says I. We're talking a fairly busy shopping centre on a Saturday morning here.

So here's the question. If you were this guy in the chair would you be grateful that someone was keeping an eye out for the kid or would you be thinking "paedo"?

I normally don't give a flying f**k what people think of me but this kind of scenario really freaks me out.
Old 23 December 2006, 02:23 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

I'd do the same and would appreciate any help in that situation.
Old 23 December 2006, 02:27 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't be thinking "paedo." I'd be grateful someone else knew where he was.
However I wouldn't be much of a Dad if I didn't know where my 3 year old kid was. What a tosser the bloke must've been. I always kept a close eye on my kids, especially at that age.
You did right. Good on you for doing the Dad's job.
Old 23 December 2006, 02:35 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

In the guy's defence he was not exactly neglecting his kid. Every couple of minutes they were chatting but one moment the knee biter (he was small but no that small) was sitting as good as gold, the next he was off.

I really appreciate the feed back though. Many thanks
Old 23 December 2006, 04:45 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

So what WAS his reaction?
Old 23 December 2006, 04:48 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I'd thank you for the help, kids can be a pain and the number of times ours have wandered off in a toy shop or something similar it's a real worry. That's just kids for you though, no real sense of danger, it's all just one big adventure
Old 23 December 2006, 05:24 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I think your questioning of what this guy may be thinking is to do with the way our culture is these days. I do find myself avoiding any contact with kids myself, or even glancing at one for fear of being labeled or thought of as a paedophole, even though I know 100% that I'm not. It's a bit sad that even the simple act of noticing where this guys kid was playing makes a person question themselves about others are thinking.

It seems to me that any bloke nowadays is thought of as guilty 'til proved innocent when it comes to kids etc. You even have to pass through 'security' to work with kids and that. I think this process coupled with a very large percentage persons committing paedophelia are men, puts doubt in ordinary blokes when it comes to kids etc.

I totally get where you're coming from, it's a bit sad, but it seems that's the way of the world.

Trending Topics

Old 23 December 2006, 05:24 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would be grateful, have been in strange circumstance myself.

4 (ish ) year old was in front of me walking tinto currys. they had those revolving turn styles to get in. the dad wen in with the child, who then walked straight back out under the barrier. he then walked passed me and back out into the street! the dad was trapped by the barrier, so i turned around and followed the boy down the road a few step behind making sure he didnt walk into the road. i dare not put my hand on him to stop him for fear of some do gooder claling the police.
Old 23 December 2006, 06:51 PM
JohnHamer1977
Scooby Regular

glad someone was looking out for him
Old 23 December 2006, 07:02 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

I agree with what scoobynutta says i hate to look in the direction of kids, as you never know what people might think ohh look at him hes a pervert sort of thing. Still if i saw a child in distress or i thought one to be lost, id ask them if they were ok and sod what anyone thought id know i was doing right by the child as id be devesated if something happened to that child and i could have stopped it. I rember when i was a child on at south shields and i managed to get lost on the beach, i was running about wild, and if it was not for the actions of a adult i probably would have been lost for a good while.
Old 23 December 2006, 10:10 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markr1963

So here's the question. If you were this guy in the chair would you be grateful that someone was keeping an eye out for the kid or would you be thinking "paedo"?
If you were a paedophile wouldn't you be more likely to follow the kid out and not say anything to the Dad?

Read the last paragraph here
BBC NEWS | England | Coventry/Warwickshire | Neglect ruling in girl pond death

(but feel free to ignore me because obviously I am not male)
Old 23 December 2006, 10:12 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

"The sad fact is the dad shouldn't have let the kid be out his sight. Too many weirdos about."

no there arent.....my kids play outside on their own in the close, my 10 year old walks to the shops on her own, walks to her mates etc, the 3 year old plays in the garden on his own (backs onto feilds so ideal padeo huntting ground if your a sucker for that sort of paranio)

I'm more worried they sit indoors on the 360 and become fat munters than worried about them outside!

more chance of them getting in a car crash with me giving them a lift than a padeo grabbing them of the street.
Old 24 December 2006, 12:35 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

It's rare for me to let my 5yr old son out of sight when we're out & about ... I just get nervous about a Jamie Bulger type incident. Sad state of affairs IMHO. When you've got kids the feeling of love is so big with em that you'd do anything for them or do something to anyone that might hurt them. Best to not let it get to such a stage ...

He's free to roam around outside our house as the neighbours keep an eye on all the kids in the area. If I was the man in the barbers I'd thank you for keeping an eye on him.

TX.
Old 24 December 2006, 12:44 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone. Seems I'm suffering from a bit of paranoia.
Old 24 December 2006, 12:50 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markr1963
This morning I was waiting to get a haircut. The guy being attended to had a very young child with him, 3 or 4 would be my guess. This young 'un was getting restless while Dad was busy and ran out of the barber's to sit on one of those coin operated rides. At some point the guy looks round and can't see his kid. "He's over there on the ride, mate", says I. We're talking a fairly busy shopping centre on a Saturday morning here.

I normally don't give a flying f**k what people think of me but this kind of scenario really freaks me out.

I would personally be gratefull, this is how father SHOULD be able to be with each other, we are all in the same boat and it is a real shame you have to even think things like that but unfortunatly its the sick world we live in.
Old 24 December 2006, 01:35 AM
slickrick
Scooby Regular

thats scary,i took my two sons (2 and 4 years old) for their haircuts today.
not only did i watch the barbers every move,i stood gaurd at the door.
Old 24 December 2006, 11:51 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

All this Paedophile paranoia stuff is way out of hand when ordinary people are so concerned - they are SUCH a minority in society still, but get much more coverage these days [they have probably been around from year dot].

I was showering my unclothed 3yr old daughter after swim in the local swimming pool recently and it suddenly crossed my mind if anyone thought anything dodgy was going on, and I was saddened by it. However it is all a matter of perspective and common bl00dy sense [getting scarcer by the day under this government/society).

I'd have said THANKS A LOT mate for bring an ordinary decent citizen and realising parents dont always have eyes in the back of their head - esp with adventurous kids!

D
Old 24 December 2006, 08:31 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

The thing is though, there aren't loads more paedo's about these days, it's just the cases get a lot more media attention nowadays. Also, with the internet age, there must be many more convictions of paedophiles than the pre internet era.

I think the statistics for child abduction and murder remain pretty constant through the decades, which is probably a truer indication on true paedophelia. It's just the perception that it is worse now.

There always have been paedo's and there always will be
Old 24 December 2006, 08:51 PM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Would be greatful tbh and also I would do the same I guess.