Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Investing money question - your thoughts please

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2006, 11:45 AM
Curse of the Rushing Gimp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice would be go to thailand and as Chuck Norris said 'Go missing in Action'
Old 17 December 2006, 12:21 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I would put it in an ISA personally (stocks not a cash ISA). No tax to be paid. Take a look on money.msn.co.uk for the best long term performers in your chosen risk profile. Then go to a discount broker and open one up.
Old 17 December 2006, 12:26 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

For example, I have a low risk ISA that has returned on average 7.1% per year since 1997 (tax free). There are probably better ones out there - but depends on what risk you want to take.

Last edited by James Neill; 17 December 2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 17 December 2006, 12:29 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

As James Neill says, depends on how much risk you want to take,and what other investments you have. Also, if you have any debts, and if so, what is the interest rate on those?

If you have got 3K on a credit/store card, on your mortgage, or even worse, some sort of DFS monkey brain deal, then you would be better to consider paying that off before investing your 3K for 16 years.

Go and see an ifa. Find one close to you on Find an independent financial adviser - IFA - www.unbiased.co.uk
Old 17 December 2006, 12:46 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

give it me and in 16 years time il give ya 3500 back! if you can find me lol!
joking apart, trade the stock market my freind! spend two years studying and learning the ins and outs! get your self a pretend account on advfn and when your confident start trading! who know in 16 years time you could have 30000 pounds
get it wrong and your have 3 pound
Old 17 December 2006, 12:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put it in investments that are presently unpopular because they're at the bottom of the cycle, rather than sectors that have had massive recent growth. 16 years is long enough to hopefully catch the next bull market having bought at a good price.

Your maximum possible return will come from risky investments that could lose more than even the original amount you put in. Maximum return is probably not really what you are looking for I suspect when the downside might be losing it all or worse.

The point about paying off debt is very important. In the past I've split about 75% of funds into clearing a mortgage and 25% into shares. I don't know how confident you can be that you'll get a higher rate of return than your present and future mortgage rate. The shares did badly for a while and have now recovered well. In hindsight I think this split was about right for us.

I would only use an IFA that returned commission and took a fee from me if I was using one at all, otherwise you may find that they aren't independent at all and are putting your money where it earns them the most commission. For £3k it isn't worth it though IMHO.

Last edited by john banks; 17 December 2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 17 December 2006, 01:51 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

Premium bonds....you aint gonna lose, and might win loads
when you invest you lose a fortune in initial costs...takes years to recoup that!