Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Mortgage

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2006, 12:46 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mortgage

The 2% discounted rate on my current variable rate repayment mortgage runs out next month & I can look elsewhere without penalties.
Any ideas on what I should be looking for next? Fixed rate or should I look for a similar offer again?

Cheers,

Darren
Old 14 December 2006, 12:47 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

In the current market Id suggest a fixed but we all have our own choices.
Old 14 December 2006, 11:25 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Generally it depends on how well you think the existing lenders are reading the market. You can't get half as good a fixed deal now as you could this time last year. The reason - the base rate has gone up, and the lenders expect it will again. They're in it to make a profit, so I expect they'll usually aim to make as much on a fixed rate product as a reduced variable, and they base their projected profit on what they think the rates are going to do over the next year or two (i.e. they expect it to rise a bit). Therefore if you think rates will rise less than the current accepted "average" thinking, get a discounted variable rate. If you think it will rise more than the current "accepted" average, get a fixed.

However, no matter what advice you get on here, you need to pick whichever product is right for you, and none of us can tell you that without analysing your finances.
Old 14 December 2006, 11:39 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
Generally it depends on how well you think the existing lenders are reading the market. You can't get half as good a fixed deal now as you could this time last year. The reason - the base rate has gone up, and the lenders expect it will again. They're in it to make a profit, so I expect they'll usually aim to make as much on a fixed rate product as a reduced variable, and they base their projected profit on what they think the rates are going to do over the next year or two (i.e. they expect it to rise a bit). Therefore if you think rates will rise less than the current accepted "average" thinking, get a discounted variable rate. If you think it will rise more than the current "accepted" average, get a fixed.

However, no matter what advice you get on here, you need to pick whichever product is right for you, and none of us can tell you that without analysing your finances.
Strange as my lender (YBS) is offering a 3 year fixed at 4.99% which is only .2% higher than what I took out 2.5 years ago.

Simon
Old 14 December 2006, 11:56 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

its dead simple really - as a rule variable rates are off set by lower fees and fixed rates by higher fees - after spending far too long creating spread sheet that calculated the average costs of 20+ mortgages over a 3 year period ( ) I established that the difference between the cheapest and the most expensive was about £700 over the three years...even taking into account moderate interest rate increases so nowt to get excited about... In fact it wasn't until month 29 that a variable rate mortgage, with interest rate increases, became potentially more expensive than the fixed rate.

mind you.... thats a ruddy good diving holiday so off to MoneySavingExpert.com ad-free, free to use, Consumer Revenge! with you

p.s. My extensive research showed that alliance & leicester offered the best deals...

Last edited by brumdaisy; 14 December 2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 15 December 2006, 02:00 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

you're in here as well, you're like a bad smell tonight.

Old 15 December 2006, 07:40 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Cheers