FAO electricians

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2006, 02:52 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO electricians

Hi guys,

Finished a degree in electrical and electronic engineering this year and i've been working for the same company for the last 6 years designing and building small satellites.

Had a thought a few weeks ago that while i'm still continuing to work in the days, I would like to carry on learning at an evening class and learn a trade as well.

Now since my natural area is electrical, I thought it might be an idea to look into training to be an electrician. After going online and looking at courses at colleges I was pretty shocked to find about 6 different types of courses all for a number of years. So what I really want to know is, if I wanted to be able to (in the future) set up on my own as an electrician, what quals would i need?

I saw courses for NVQ's different levels, Domestics installers, wiring regs, part p. Can anyone explain simply what is required?
Old 06 December 2006, 02:56 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

IIRC this is the main one you will need, I may be wrong though

BS7671 Wiring Regulations: Requirements for Electrical Installations - The IET
Old 06 December 2006, 06:09 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

I think you will have to start with the NVQ's mate. You could probably jump straight into level 3 due to your background but you will need to find a employer that will hire you which does something relevant to the course.

Why do you want to be an electrician after all those years at Uni? I know its good easy money etc but just curious
Old 06 December 2006, 07:14 PM
PPPRob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suprabeast
Hi guys,

Finished a degree in electrical and electronic engineering this year and i've been working for the same company for the last 6 years designing and building small satellites.

Had a thought a few weeks ago that while i'm still continuing to work in the days, I would like to carry on learning at an evening class and learn a trade as well.

Now since my natural area is electrical, I thought it might be an idea to look into training to be an electrician. After going online and looking at courses at colleges I was pretty shocked to find about 6 different types of courses all for a number of years. So what I really want to know is, if I wanted to be able to (in the future) set up on my own as an electrician, what quals would i need?

I saw courses for NVQ's different levels, Domestics installers, wiring regs, part p. Can anyone explain simply what is required?
You'd need 16th edition regs mate. And to work on anything now, you also need the new part B.

TBH I would also suggest that you look into mechanical engineering as a subject to learn.
The reason for this is that many Co's I have approached are actively seeking multi skilled workers i.e. mech/elec/electronic.

You might find that your new qualification could earn you more £££ depending on what you currently earn.

There are downsides though as many of the Co.s that need multi skilled staff also want you to work shifts. Great if you dont mind as the money can be a lot better but of course your homelife goes out the window and if you have a young family, its just not worth the bother.

HTH