Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2006, 10:19 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ban Christmas decorations?

In the news today.

Where will it all end?

What I find particularly ironic is that all the trappings of Christmas have naff all to do with Christianty, so who exactly do they think they are offending?

Geezer
Old 06 December 2006, 10:21 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

We don't bother with them, purely as no sod can be bothered to put them up..
Old 06 December 2006, 10:23 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
In the news today.

Where will it all end?
When we have a Muslim PM, and we have to stick to Muslim Laws. Where Christianity will become a crime, and the White British male/female is the minority.

Won't be to long coming
Old 06 December 2006, 10:33 AM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

its our bleeding country for gods sake and all we seem to do is want to please other religions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its a joke!
Old 06 December 2006, 11:02 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

What's wrong with 4 pages of fundamentalist extremism? I thought it was the norm these days. This will get taken one step too far soon, and then there will be a major backlash.....
Old 06 December 2006, 12:05 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Red face

I live and work in Dubai.

Christmas decorations are all over the place in offices, buildings and shopping malls, etc. No-one really minds or gives a damn. Eid(s), Diwali and Christmans are celebrated here in various forms, everyone just gets on with it.

UK has some serious PC problems and people in positions of power who just seem to make poor decisions based on what they think the people need and not what the majority want, does anyone ever think to ask?

The UK is mostly a Christian country and should celebrate Christian special occasions first and foremost. Things like this just go to make things worse for all.

What a sad state of affairs

Last edited by The Zohan; 06 December 2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06 December 2006, 12:39 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdul-Muiz
. Blairs i think is understanding of this.
Zees eez lyke mee typeeng een francais Zor vot iv itype in ze german lingo,ja?

My wife (civil servant) reckons the faith thing is not quite right.They are actually told it's not a problem sticking your tinsel up...just try not to put it somewhere where it might catch fire sort of thing.

Think the press having their usual bit of fun
Old 06 December 2006, 01:02 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

its all bull**** - 75% of firms havent banned xmas - they just arent putting up decorations for many reasons, saftey, the hassle, the cost. And who gives a toss? Decorate your house if you want to live in xmas town...not your office desk!
Old 06 December 2006, 01:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
We could impose a 'pay-as-you-pray' tax on them..............

Or give them Prayer Miles ?
Old 06 December 2006, 01:43 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I think it's just generally unprofessional at a lot of levels and the dynamics have changed in a lot of offices these days. A lot of places would just see it a waste of money and time to have an already overworked secretary spend a day putting up decorations that may look naff to potential customers.
Old 06 December 2006, 01:49 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
I'm just hoping another Hilter comes along, but British. Get rid of you all. He'll get my vote.
careful what you wish for, as Hitler also tried to wipe out mentally handicapped people as well so watch your back
Old 06 December 2006, 02:09 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Ted Maul
careful what you wish for, as Hitler also tried to wipe out mentally handicapped people as well so watch your back
Great, SN is going to be dead if this new Hitler arrives.
Old 06 December 2006, 02:42 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

I have always been the one not to discuss football or religion as a rule but... rules are ment o be broken

Not putting them up for economical reasons is fair enough but because it might didsturb outhers is just total bollock$.... xmas has been celebrated in this country for a very long time and exceptions should not be made since it thats the way its always been in the first place.

True that these are changing days but all people should not be given the perception that traditions like this should be changed as they could offend others.

On another subject the UK law states that if you wear a turbal on your head you dont have to wear a crash helmet whilst rydding a bike... why should religion affect the law and public safety
Old 06 December 2006, 02:46 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

very sad...

and they wonder why national pride and social cohesion is disintergrating.

I for one am really getting sick to death of how 10% of this countries inhabitants are having a more and more powerful influence over the way the other 90% have to live.

forget Christmas - let's celebrate our 'tolerance' instead

isn't multi-cultural Britian absolutely wonderful? exactly the sort of life and living environment I dreamed of.
Old 06 December 2006, 02:51 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I'll try and keep this thread on track....
Old 06 December 2006, 02:58 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben v7
very sad...

and they wonder why national pride and social cohesion is disintergrating.

I for one am really getting sick to death of how 10% of this countries inhabitants are having a more and more powerful influence over the way the other 90% have to live.

forget Christmas - let's celebrate our 'tolerance' instead

isn't multi-cultural Britian absolutely wonderful? exactly the sort of life and living environment I dreamed of.
I just read the article, and it mentions 2 reasons why firms are not putting up christmas decorations. First reason says

"Bosses also felt that Christmas trees and tinsel made offices unprofessional"

and second reason is

"they feel that they have little choice in the matter due to the threat of litigation"

but it doesn't say what type of litigation. I am unaware of any litigation involving religious themes for this, to me it appears that the firms are worried about being sued for christmas lights falling on somebody, or someone slipping on pine needles and suing their firm.

trying to link this, as you do above, to multiculturalism is just exactly what the media are obviously angling for when writing these articles, to get people jumping out there seat in indignation at 'ethnics'.
Old 06 December 2006, 03:17 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

I just read the article, and it mentions 2 reasons why firms are not putting up christmas decorations. First reason says

"Bosses also felt that Christmas trees and tinsel made offices unprofessional"

and second reason is

"they feel that they have little choice in the matter due to the threat of litigation"

but it doesn't say what type of litigation. I am unaware of any litigation involving religious themes for this, to me it appears that the firms are worried about being sued for christmas lights falling on somebody, or someone slipping on pine needles and suing their firm.

trying to link this, as you do above, to multiculturalism is just exactly what the media are obviously angling for when writing these articles, to get people jumping out there seat in indignation at 'ethnics'.
Three reasons actually according to the article, with the first being this
Christmas decorations have been banned by almost three out of four UK employers, for fear of offending staff from other faiths, a survey says.
I have also made that crucial word bold on the first reason you stated.

But as you say it would not be surprising that the first was quoted for the reasons you mentioned since as far the media is concerned and its an actual fact that this type of gossip sells as its provocative.
Old 06 December 2006, 03:21 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

"Christmas decorations have been banned by almost three out of four UK employers, for fear of offending staff from other faiths, a survey says."

There are other reasons mentioned in the article, but that's implied to be the main reason (taken from paragraph directly below headline).

Edited: BBC don't sensationalise issues to 'sell'. If anything they downplay matters to suit and support the government agenda. This appears to just be reporting of facts.

Last edited by Ben v7; 06 December 2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06 December 2006, 03:39 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

"Christmas decorations have been banned by almost three out of four UK employers, for fear of offending staff from other faiths, a survey says."

There are other reasons mentioned in the article, but that's implied to be the main reason (taken from paragraph directly below headline).

Edited: BBC don't sensationalise issues to 'sell'. If anything they downplay matters to suit and support the government agenda. This appears to just be reporting of facts.
I stand corrected on the wording. It does imply that 74% of bosses have banned decorations for fear of offending other faiths, but it may very well be that 74% have banned decorations, most for litigation or for unprofessionalism, but only a handful are doing this for the faith reason. It is unclear and I cannot find the survey on the web anywhere.

My take on this is that bosses have never received any complaints from people of other faiths, yet in this current litigation culture they may have been advised by their legal departments to not so it incase someone does complain.
I very much doubt that anyone of other faiths are at all bothered by decorations, so there is no need to blame them imo
Old 06 December 2006, 03:43 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

dont be daft people - do a poll on here....i bet VERY few comps ban them for offensive reasons.

the survey is bollocks.
Old 06 December 2006, 03:48 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

I very much doubt that anyone of other faiths are at all bothered by decorations, so there is no need to blame them imo
Old 06 December 2006, 06:35 PM
J.Sutton
BANNED

im a athiest and i dont find it ofennsive
Old 06 December 2006, 06:38 PM
J.Sutton
BANNED

what pisses me of is people who dont beleive in god get all botherd about christmas you dont beleive in god so why give a ****
Old 06 December 2006, 07:15 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J.Sutton
what pisses me of is people who dont beleive in god get all botherd about christmas you dont beleive in god so why give a ****
it's symbolic - shows how things are changing

Do you think if this country were to become an Islamic state you would get off prayer because you don't believe? Would you dare to say you don't believe?
Old 06 December 2006, 07:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

We have a large tree in our outer forecourt at work,

we have two trees in our foyer

one in the canteen, and one in each of the main offices,

our employers are german, and our main customer base is aisa,

Merry christmas to you all

peace on earth and goodwill to ALL men

Mart
Old 06 December 2006, 09:06 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

our college isnt allowed any decorations. you walk out of the christmassy town centre through the christmassy shopping centre into a very dull college.
Old 06 December 2006, 09:15 PM
J.Sutton
BANNED

it's symbolic - shows how things are changing

Do you think if this country were to become an Islamic state you would get off prayer because you don't believe? Would you dare to say you don't believe?

ask paul habgood dubai is an islamic place.
Old 06 December 2006, 09:37 PM
sociophobe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I think it's just generally unprofessional at a lot of levels and the dynamics have changed in a lot of offices these days. A lot of places would just see it a waste of money and time to have an already overworked secretary spend a day putting up decorations that may look naff to potential customers.
So you didnt get a **** at last years office party then
Old 06 December 2006, 09:37 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know of anyone who is actually offended by Christmas.

I certainly don't know a single muslim who is offended by the idea. Why would it cause offence?

Even if a person was offended by the mere existence of it are we seriously to believe that they could get it banned and awarded compensation if they went to court.

Who is this offended person or persons? I think we need to know.
Old 06 December 2006, 10:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not a Muslim and Christmas ofends me sometimes !

Or the monster that it has turned into does, there is nothing more desperate and soul destroying than a wet Wednesday in retail park near Rochdale traipsing round listening to Slade, Christmas (or at least the commercial/popular) side does, its like a checklist of ****ness is trotted out every years, same ****e music, same ****ty mild weather, same load of old toss on telly, same mind numbing 3 for 2 adverts, same tedious rituals dragged out from the end of October to the middle of january. So a wet wednesday at a retail park in Rochdale is always going to be bad for the soul but Slade increases the sheer desperation and futility by an order of magnitude.

It needs to evolve a bit, it needs to stop being the excuse for nothing being able to be done for two months at the end of the year, I am all for a break but its like we put this huge artificial immovable obstacle into the year and enforce rituals and a country wide shutdown so you get the time off but cannot do anything constructive and have to sit it out ready to go back to work half a stone heavier, liver in tatters and dreading the arrival of a credit card statement, not to mention the **** you made of yourself at the Christmas party.

It needs to trim down from the bloated monster it has become into a more low key affair, too much, too long and too expensive.

And ditch all that token religous crap, when people mention the true meaning of Christmas its just my cue to show them the true meaning of pain, its just the winter solstice that got nicked by the Christians, its a feast to say that the ****ty cold wet winter nights are half way through, only another three months of darkness.

And people start saying how 'Chrimassy' they feel, what the f*ck does that mean, I think it means that I have overcome my dread of the festive season and through the magic of Sherry I feel able to cope with it, bring it on motherf*ckers.

And feeling the need to wish someone a Merry Christmas make me cringe, Merry, why can't we just say 'Good luck old chap, see you on January the third, best of British luck and try not to stab the missus during a domestic on Boxing day'

Otherwise, its ok.

Quick Reply: Ban Christmas decorations?