Am I potentially commiting an offence? re: found dog

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2006, 09:42 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Am I potentially commiting an offence? re: found dog

Just been over to the dogs forum that scoobychick gave, and found this

Local authorities have the primary responsibility for stray dogs, with the police providing a back-up service - finders can hand over stray dogs at a police station for temporary safekeeping. If someone loses or finds a dog they should always contact the local authority first. This increases the chances of the animal and its owner being quickly reunited

If you wish to keep the found dog, or to surrender the dog to a local rescue for rehoming, rather than the kennels which have your local authority's stray dog contract, the following is REALLY important:

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 Sec 150 requires the finder of a stray dog to:

· return the dog to its owner; or
· contact the local authority for the area in which the dog was found; or
· take the dog to the police station nearest to where the dog was found.

If the finder fails to take one of these courses of action, he will have committed an offence and would be liable, upon conviction, to a fine.

If the finder requests to keep the dog, he must supply the officer with his contact details and details of the dog. The officer is required to keep a record of these details.

Regulations require that the officer makes appropriate enquiries to ascertain that the finder is a suitable person to keep the dog. The finder must then be informed verbally and in writing that he is obliged to keep the dog (if unclaimed by the owner) for not less than one month and that failure to comply with that obligation is a criminal offence.

I have phoned the police who didnt take any details, other than check if one has been reported lost

Phoned the RSPCA they didnt want to know, and said go to local council

Local Dog Trust couldnt take him but took mine and the dogs details

Vet said try speaking to the Dog Warden (not had chance yet, will tomorrow tho)

We dont know what we are going to do with him, and what is really priority is making sure he is ok, and gets a bit of meat back on him, and his wounds and infections heal up, which I feel he will do much much quicker in my house, with Vet assistance, than he would in some cold dark kennel in a dog pound

Steve
Old 05 December 2006, 09:47 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dog wardens tend to be a lot more human than the jobsworth officers you are probably imagining.... give him/her a ring, but if they insist on taking the dog and you dont want to give him up, just tell em to stick the fine in the post Im sure we'll have a whipround on here to cover it - you've made many hearts melt and eyes moisten on here

Including mine and I dont even like dogs
Old 05 December 2006, 10:00 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Sonic.. i think in fairness, if some jobsworth half baked fcukwit tried to do this to you.. then you would have no cause for concern. you could show them your threads in here for a start.. also the fact that you took the dog to a vet, contacted the various 'agencies'.. its not YOUR fault they cant be arsed to do anything...and as Daisy says .. I think there would be enough people in here that would chip in to see the fine disappear
Old 05 December 2006, 10:05 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

i think that as your taking good care of him that you should only get to keep him your the one paying money at the vets that you probably wont get back if you hand him over! aslong as you can give him a good home i think he'll be just fine if he leaves you now he'll be more upset and think no one wants him. if the person who's dog it was isnt responsible enough to get him chipped thats sort of their problem its its free by a dog charity i cant remember the name my dog is chipped so theres no excuse to why he isnt chipped.
Old 05 December 2006, 10:09 PM
Curse of the Rushing Gimp
Scooby Regular

End of day its a stray dog and RSCPA plus many rescue centres are overburdoned and won't give a toss if u decide to keep or even re-home it yourself. My mate found a dog and he's a copper. No one reported it so he decided to keep it without going thru the politically correct/jobsworth channels. Its now got a good home.
Old 05 December 2006, 10:55 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

my brother saved a dog from getting kicked around by kids and now she's doing well and he's had her 3 years now and she's lovely good around my niece when she pulls her ears and everything and he didnt get into trouble for it there should be alot more helpful people around like you to take in stray dogs it isnt their fault
Old 05 December 2006, 11:14 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
my brother saved a dog from getting kicked around by kids and now she's doing well and he's had her 3 years now and she's lovely good around my niece when she pulls her ears and everything and he didnt get into trouble for it there should be alot more helpful people around like you to take in stray dogs it isnt their fault
Very true Steph, and respect to your brother

When I was younger there were loads of stay dogs where I stay, nowadays I don't see any at all
Old 05 December 2006, 11:24 PM
beamer
Scooby Regular

Don't feel anyone could/would get you or your family into trouble after the compassionate way you have dealt with this, you have scoobynet on your side

just copy this https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-i-do-dog.html and save it to show any so called "Jobsworth" to get a life
Old 05 December 2006, 11:27 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beamer
Don't feel anyone could/would get you or your family into trouble after the compassionate way you have dealt with this, you have scoobynet on your side

just copy this https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-i-do-dog.html and save it to show any so called "Jobsworth" to get a life
hhmm deja vu.. exists.. Circa post #3
Old 05 December 2006, 11:33 PM
beamer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
hhmm deja vu.. exists.. Circa post #3

just adding support