Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

IPod - help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2006, 06:33 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPod - help!!

Now I wouldn't call myself a technophobe, but I admit to being one of the remaining people on this earth who does not have a clue about Ipods etc...

however, I am thinking of buying one as a christmas present and wondered which one should I get?

I've seen a 4gb IPod for £128 - is this a good deal or can anyone recommend somewhere I can buy a Black or Silver one cheaper?

Also wtf is a docking station??? DO I need one of those too?

Ta muchly
Old 05 December 2006, 07:04 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Dension ICE>Link Plus For Blaupunkt
Old 05 December 2006, 07:05 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Apple iPod Nano 4Gb - Black (MA107FB/A)
Old 05 December 2006, 07:08 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

That's supposed to help? Brain overload, htb

I'll read it again later
Old 05 December 2006, 07:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I have bought a couple from Pixmania and can recommend the service and prices are pretty sharp. They are based in Paris but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

IMHO Ipods are not the most robust things so I would buy an additional year's Warranty - I got one free from Pixmania. I also got what I think is a docking station being a pair of speakers with a charger stuck in the middle. My daughter was very pleased and fine for personal listening but not suitable for a rave There was a recent PSL thread on MP3s so you could look through that. dl

iPod - Shop Apple : Ipod Nano, Ipod Shuffle, accessoires...
Old 05 December 2006, 07:14 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Thank you David
Old 05 December 2006, 07:25 PM
AFRIKANZ
Scooby Regular

I bought a re-furbished 30g white video from Apple's website. Saved lots and is in perfect working order.

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2006, 07:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

There aren't too many deals to be found on brand new Apple kit as they don't discount it too much.

I've had a 4th Gen 30GB iPod for a few years now and it's great. I did have to replace the battery a year ago, but that was very easy to do and it's been replaced with a higher capacity one too. The hard drive did die on me earlier this year, and I replaced it with a larger capacity drive (60GB from a 5th Generation iPod Video) and, touch wood, it's worked like a charm ever since. Am running out of space on it though, only got 1GB free

As for the Dock, well, you don't need one, you'll still get a USB cable with the iPod so you can charge/connect it. All the dock really does it stands the iPod upright and allows you to plug it in/remove it more quickly as otherwise you'd have to press the sides of the cable to release the connection mechanism. I have a few times, inadvertantly, pulled the iPod out of it's dock without checking it's properly disconnected. I was lucky as no data was being read/written to it, but I could have caused a problem, worst case meaning I'd need to restore (reformat in other words) the iPod, losing everything that was on it.

I'm a mac fan so I'd always tend to suggest going for an iPod, but check out the other MP3 players that are out there as they may have different features that you want that the iPod does not have.
Old 05 December 2006, 09:08 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I love my Ipod, I know people tend to go for the 30gb ones these days however I have a 2gb Ipod Nano and it's never been filled with over 100 songs, recon I could get 200 on it easily.
I would recommend you get some sort of additional charger or docking station as it's a pain having to plug your ipod into the computer just to charge it up, chargers can be bought on ebay for about £5.00 though
Old 05 December 2006, 09:35 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my 2 gig nano in the car carries all the music you will ever need and because its solid state wont jump like the bigger ones do.