Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jobcentre Plus, What a ROTTEN place........

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2006, 02:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Jobcentre Plus, What a ROTTEN place........

Just called in to hand deliver a form about stopping my dad's state pension, since he died on Monday. Only one receptionist working, about twenty increasingly angry people waiting, and EVERYTHING had to go through this one man, even my form, which I could have put in the post, but delivered as I was parked nearby.

Is there any wonder the people who have to go to these places get angry?
And NO they aren't all dole-scroungers.

After twenty five minutes, and NOT ONE person being seen, I left and put the form in the post.
Stupid place!
Stupid Jobsworths!

Alcazar

BTW: Please don't anyone post condolences for my dad's death. I don't want to read them and he was ready to go. Thanks.
Old 05 December 2006, 03:01 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twenty five minutes? Were you wearing a stab proof jacket?
Old 05 December 2006, 03:03 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Just called in to hand deliver a form about stopping my dad's state pension, since he died on Monday. Only one receptionist working, about twenty increasingly angry people waiting, and EVERYTHING had to go through this one man, even my form, which I could have put in the post, but delivered as I was parked nearby.

After twenty five minutes, and NOT ONE person being seen, I left and put the form in the post.
Stupid place!
Stupid Jobsworths!

Alcazar

BTW: Please don't anyone post condolences for my dad's death. I don't want to read them and he was ready to go. Thanks.
I went along to one of these places with a hapless mate once and it was exactly as you described. The staff reminded of that dole worker off 'Bread'
Old 05 December 2006, 03:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Last time I was in a Job centre (10 years ago) in walked a bunch of lads, who immediately started a fight with another bunch of lads.

Just wish I'd had some Popcorn on me at the time. Very entertaining !!!!
Old 05 December 2006, 05:09 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Jobcentres: The cash point for junkies and single mums.
Old 05 December 2006, 07:39 PM
decepticon
Scooby Regular

my gf works there and it really is an awful place to work, abusive and violent people, p1ss heads and druggies off their heads in the morning. The powers that be have decided to remove any form of protection to staff in the way of screens because it doesn't make the scruddies feel very accepted. P1ss poor management who are completely out of touch with whats really happening. More appointment books 'open' every day than there are people to take appointments. no system for staff to earn more money to catch up with work, instead a flexi scheme so when you've caught up you have to take a day off. New computer (multi million ££) systems that are useless
i could go on but simply dont have enough time or inclination, ok 2 more..
if a scruddies comes in kicking off and being abusive and gets thrown out by security then they are still allowed back in to claim their money-completely wrong wrong wrong.
lastly a while ago there was a high level management/mp visit to see how the centres were coping-so to make it look good only half the cases were booked that day and phonelines were cut off
ITS NOT THE STAFF'S FAULT
Old 05 December 2006, 08:56 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I worked in one for nearly three years, the only thing allowed on my desk was a pen (anything else was deemed a potential weapon for angry claimants) and a monitor and keyboard. First week there someone threatened to stab my eyes out with the pen and tried to set fire to the monitor.

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2006, 09:09 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
I worked in one for nearly three years, the only thing allowed on my desk was a pen (anything else was deemed a potential weapon for angry claimants) and a monitor and keyboard. First week there someone threatened to stab my eyes out with the pen and tried to set fire to the monitor.
Did they get their cash though
Old 05 December 2006, 10:44 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

So did they ban pens and monitors then?
Old 05 December 2006, 10:45 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Sounds like it judging by the OP
Old 06 December 2006, 01:07 AM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your Dad mate. My condolencies to you and you family.

Regards

Chris & Tan
Old 06 December 2006, 06:34 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Stupid place!
Stupid Jobsworths!

Alcazar

living in the same town as you i know how bad that place is. admittedly there are some helpful people in there, like when my girlfriend left college and was struggling for full time employment. i darent park my car round the front though, get some right weird "but he drives a scooby, whys he parking in our spot" looks from on looking early starters on the special brew and stella brigade, who congregate outside most days!

i know exactly what you mean alcazar, place if full of people seemingly doing nothing while one poor **** on a frontline desk takes all the flak.

andy
Old 06 December 2006, 07:08 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

You should try dealing with them regards offering a job, morons have still not got my post code right after countless telephone calls

the whole thing is a bag-o-****.
Old 06 December 2006, 08:12 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it's not the frontline staff's fault, as usual. It'll be policy and senior management, also as usual.

My original post was about the total infexibility of the system, NO-ONE was available to take a form off me that I hand delivered, and NO-ONE would take responsibility. CYA syndrome? Why couldn't it have been put with the rest of the post?

Oh well, it's gone now.......

Alcazar
Old 06 December 2006, 08:56 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I had to sign on for a few months after leaving uni. It's a throughly degrading experience. Most people there are drop-out dole-scum, and those that are actually trying to find a job are made to feel like one too.
wouldn't work there for nay money.

Most local and central government operate flexi-time, as it means never paying overtime. it's sold as a great perk for staff (as opposed to company cars, health, bonuses, Xmas party etc), but it gains the employer most.
I'm not on a particulary high grade, but I still don't get paid for any overtime I do
Old 06 December 2006, 09:03 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
So did they ban pens and monitors then?
no

It might have changed since I worked there Alcazar (and I did actually do a stint in the Scunny office) but we couldn't take a form off someone without checking through it first and dating it so as to confirm when the benefits would be paid from.
Old 06 December 2006, 11:31 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

I must have the wrong attitude as had to give up working 2 years ago due to kidney problems. Don't bother claiming as I took out an income protection policy 15 years ago in case something like this happened.
Maybe I should be in there shouting and threatening to set fire to monitors etc unless I get my sick benefit, council tax benefit, stella benefit and anything else I can have. World seems to have fallen on its a4se.
Old 06 December 2006, 11:41 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
no

It might have changed since I worked there Alcazar (and I did actually do a stint in the Scunny office) but we couldn't take a form off someone without checking through it first and dating it so as to confirm when the benefits would be paid from.
Yes, I can see that, but this was just a form to stop my dad's state pension as he died on Monday.

And if it went through the post, which it eventually did, what then? If it could be dealt with like that, then why not mine? Into a postage box and dealt with later as all postage must be?

Alcazar
Old 06 December 2006, 02:37 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Yes, I can see that, but this was just a form to stop my dad's state pension as he died on Monday.

And if it went through the post, which it eventually did, what then? If it could be dealt with like that, then why not mine? Into a postage box and dealt with later as all postage must be?

Alcazar
That would be too easy, it's the Civil Service way of doing things.